JORDAN: Greatest Player, Worst Human

Options

Comments

• sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what book The Jordan Rules? if so i read that book when it first came out, and got the opposite impression. i def wouldn't mind if my kid had Mike's ruthless drive for success and winning at all costs attitude topped with being fearless in the face of defeat.

Mike's arrogant personality, not giving a damn what people around him thought, is a big part of how he was able to succeed and motivate sub-par players around him to play on a higher level. like it or not you can't separate his personality from his GOAT status.

edit: yea like i thought, The Jordan Rules. good book - i need to read it again.
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sickbizzle wrote: »
    what book The Jordan Rules? if so i read that book when it first came out, and got the opposite impression. i def wouldn't mind if my kid had Mike's ruthless drive for success and winning at all costs attitude topped with being fearless in the face of defeat.

Mike's arrogant personality, not giving a damn what people around him thought, is a big part of how he was able to succeed and motivate sub-par players around him to play on a higher level. like it or not you can't separate his personality from his GOAT status.

edit: yea like i thought, The Jordan Rules. good book - i need to read it again.

Vince McMahon also has that 'ruthless drive for success and winning at all costs attitude'......Should your child follow in his footsteps too? If you read that book then you read about Horace Grant ready to ? Jordan up, the fistfights in practice, Jordan scolding grown men like kids, teammates talkin ? about him....
    Bet they didn't say all that about Wilt....or Magic...

BTW Jordan did not made his teammates better....We're talkin real life not Space Jam...
  • Hobe cryant
    Hobe cryant Members Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I mean in his HOF speech he basically said something to the effect of him feeling bad for his kids because they had to try and live up to his legacy. Who says ? like that? He basically ? on his own children while simultaneously boosting himself up all in a public forum.

Nah its weird how people cant translate simple ? .He was sayin no matter what his kids do, they will be compared to him.If his sons play ball(which looks like they wont) it will be synonymous with Their father is MJ why arent they as good ,Etc,etc.He was sayin no matter what u do and how good u become you will always be compared to Mike Jordan and he felt sorry for them because that legacy will haunt them forever unless they just do them.It wasn't no diss
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nah its weird how people cant translate simple ? .He was sayin no matter what his kids do, they will be compared to him.If his sons play ball(which looks like they wont) it will be synonymous with Their father is MJ why arent they as good ,Etc,etc.He was sayin no matter what u do and how good u become you will always be compared to Mike Jordan and he felt sorry for them because that legacy will haunt them forever unless they just do them.It wasn't no diss

That's how I took it...
  • sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Vince McMahon also has that 'ruthless drive for success and winning at all costs attitude'......Should your child follow in his footsteps too? If you read that book then you read about Horace Grant ready to ? Jordan up, the fistfights in practice, Jordan scolding grown men like kids, teammates talkin ? about him....
    Bet they didn't say all that about Wilt....or Magic...

BTW Jordan did not made his teammates better....We're talkin real life not Space Jam...

the book had a lot of positive stuff too though that people tend to overlook. and the negative stuff is questionable sometimes. it's not hard to find reviews that make the case the author had a clear agenda against Mike to sell copies, stuff like this:

I was truly disgusted with this book.From the onset I read so many falsehoods I thought I was reading the national enquirer.As someone who has followed Michael Jordan throughtout his career I understand that this rag was wrote by someone with an awful agenda.Sam Smith is the first 300 pound white male golddigger I have ever heard of.I was amused at how he put Jordan's thought down like he was a mindreader as well as a hack writer.He actually praised Ed Neely (clearly a good friend or relative)like he was a good player.Neely didn't even average 6 minutes a game but was so valuable in Sammie Smith's mind.Smith even wrote that he was the smartest player on the team(was he good at scrabble or something?Because he wasn't smart enough to get more playing times).He said Bill Cartwright had the best footwork on the teams lol.I guess thats why the refs called him for the most travel calls on the team.John Paxson was also a favorite of his so much in fact he said that he was a good defensive player lol.Shall I believe Sam or my lying eyes.Sam said Horace Grant hated to be a second fiddle to Michael Jordan but dashed to Orlando to play behind Shaq and Penny.I could go on and on about this trainwreck but I have spent enough time on this idiot.So if you are thinking about reading this book do something more interesting watch paint dry.
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sickbizzle wrote: »
    the book had a lot of positive stuff too though that people tend to overlook. and the negative stuff is questionable sometimes. it's not hard to find reviews that make the case the author had a clear agenda against Mike to sell copies, stuff like this:

I was truly disgusted with this book.From the onset I read so many falsehoods I thought I was reading the national enquirer.As someone who has followed Michael Jordan throughtout his career I understand that this rag was wrote by someone with an awful agenda.Sam Smith is the first 300 pound white male golddigger I have ever heard of.I was amused at how he put Jordan's thought down like he was a mindreader as well as a hack writer.He actually praised Ed Neely (clearly a good friend or relative)like he was a good player.Neely didn't even average 6 minutes a game but was so valuable in Sammie Smith's mind.Smith even wrote that he was the smartest player on the team(was he good at scrabble or something?Because he wasn't smart enough to get more playing times).He said Bill Cartwright had the best footwork on the teams lol.I guess thats why the refs called him for the most travel calls on the team.John Paxson was also a favorite of his so much in fact he said that he was a good defensive player lol.Shall I believe Sam or my lying eyes.Sam said Horace Grant hated to be a second fiddle to Michael Jordan but dashed to Orlando to play behind Shaq and Penny.I could go on and on about this trainwreck but I have spent enough time on this idiot.So if you are thinking about reading this book do something more interesting watch paint dry.

lol oh ? ...He sounds like he has a vendetta against the author...regardless the book was insightful, and tho I respect him what Jordan did for the league.........I will NEVER buy a pair of J's wit my own money.
  • Blackabar
    Blackabar Confirm Email Posts: 444
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I feel what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day, sometimes you just have to come to terms with the truth. If every firsthand account of a person, whether it's coming from friend or foe, describes a person as an ? , he's probably and ? . No MJ probably isn't the worst person in sports. He also isn't guilty of the worst actions in sports. He does seem to lack character though. He was the greatest player, but all available evidence still points to him being a ? human being. I mean in his HOF speech he basically said something to the effect of him feeling bad for his kids because they had to try and live up to his legacy. Who says ? like that? He basically ? on his own children while simultaneously boosting himself up all in a public forum.

On a side note, anyone see that latest South Park episode. They had him featured along with Bill Clinton, Tiger Woods, Big Ben, Dave Letterman, Charlie Sheen, and a few other people I can't remember. They were all in this sex rehab session.

Exactly! A good parent would NEVER do that.
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Here we go with this ? again. Who cares about what kind of person he was?
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    raise your own damn kids and you wont have to worry about people like jordan being an ?
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This has all been said before, but this is the main reason I stopped buying Jordans. I don't wear any player's Jersey period, just my fav. team's apparel. I don't put no ? athletes on pedestals. Everyone is angry at Tiger for being a wildman. No, that's your fault for looking up to him and and falling for his image. But on the other hand, there are good men like Magic Johnson who was a great player but at the same time loves to be around people. So it's really comes down to the athlete's personality.

I've always said when I have kids and when I have them watch sports I going to teach them the difference between "the player" and "the person" cause it so important to have them understand to admire the skills of a certain athlete, but that's wear it ends. My kids are going to look up to me as their role model. That's MY job.
  • Blackabar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    This has all been said before, but this is the main reason I stopped buying Jordans. I don't wear any player's Jersey period, just my fav. team's apparel. I don't put no ? athletes on pedestals. Everyone is angry at Tiger for being a wildman. No, that's your fault for looking up to him and and falling for his image. But on the other hand, there are good men like Magic Johnson who was a great player but at the same time loves to be around people. So it's really comes down to the athlete's personality.

I've always said when I have kids and when I have them watch sports I going to teach them the difference between "the player" and "the person" cause it so important to have them understand to admire the skills of a certain athlete, but that's wear it ends. My kids are going to look up to me as their role model. That's MY job.

You soundin like a woman lil ?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Blackabar wrote: »

Word real ? have 6 baby mamas and 10 kids, dont pay child support, slang them packs, and buss them guns.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Blackabar wrote: »

The ? you talking about I won't leave it for some athlete to decitate how my kid behaves it's my job to teach them. I guess it went over you head but that's what "parenthood" means. You lost like Chamillionaire for actually looking up to Michael Jordan and having your heart broken.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you don't get that good being nice. i know yall heard the true story of how he broke steve kerr nose for ? up in practice.... practice? we talkin bout practice....
  • Blackabar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you don't get that good being nice. i know yall heard the true story of how he broke steve kerr nose for ? up in practice.... practice? we talkin bout practice....

explain this please
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    some stupid ? in here... why Mike gotta sign an autograph for... Bill Russell didn't do it... who cares if he talked trash... hell thenigga under the below average ? in ball takles trash... ? need to stop acting like hurt groupies
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Kerr-Jordan relationship was further strained when the two players took opposing sides in the NBA players' union split during labor talks with league owners. The bitterness came to a head during a practice in which Kerr and Jordan were repeatedly pushing off while defending each other.

Talk about gall. Kerr, who hadn't been in a fight since elementary school, took a hard shove from His Airness and suddenly started swinging. "I knew I had two choices," Kerr says. "Either let it go and be obedient to Michael forever, or fight and probably get my ass kicked. I picked a real winner for my adult fighting debut." He wound up with a black eye.

When Kerr arrived home, he found an apology from Jordan waiting on his answering machine, and the relationship quickly changed for the better. Jordan had previously ridden Kerr for everything from a missed shot to a lack of aggressiveness. That stopped after their fight, and Kerr has since become a Jordan favorite.

Mike had a killer instinct it's a personality trait. He was the best because he had the drive to be the best no matter what. friendships and relationships with teamates may be sacrificed because of it, ya dig.
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i guess i heard it wrong he didn't break the boy nose, my bad.
  • Blackabar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Kerr-Jordan relationship was further strained when the two players took opposing sides in the NBA players' union split during labor talks with league owners. The bitterness came to a head during a practice in which Kerr and Jordan were repeatedly pushing off while defending each other.

Talk about gall. Kerr, who hadn't been in a fight since elementary school, took a hard shove from His Airness and suddenly started swinging. "I knew I had two choices," Kerr says. "Either let it go and be obedient to Michael forever, or fight and probably get my ass kicked. I picked a real winner for my adult fighting debut." He wound up with a black eye.

When Kerr arrived home, he found an apology from Jordan waiting on his answering machine, and the relationship quickly changed for the better. Jordan had previously ridden Kerr for everything from a missed shot to a lack of aggressiveness. That stopped after their fight, and Kerr has since become a Jordan favorite.

Mike had a killer instinct it's a personality trait. He was the best because he had the drive to be the best no matter what. friendships and relationships with teamates may be sacrificed because of it, ya dig.

You think that's an acceptable way for a human being to go through life?
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hell nah it aint acceptable. even the bible says it, "what good for a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?" i think some people are just like that in all walks of life.
  • Blackabar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, thats what I'm tryin to point out to these lil ? but they dickridin MJ so much they cant accept it.
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's something about mike i can't put my finger on it but it's an aura of evil that surrounds him, it's not obvious but it's there i may be reaching. thats just my opinion.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    *sighs* /Thread...
  • Blackabar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's something about mike i can't put my finger on it but it's an aura of evil that surrounds him, it's not obvious but it's there i may be reaching. thats just my opinion.

I agree with you. It's somethin about that ? that's downright scary.

He the type that aint satisfied wit a dunk, he wants to dunk ON someone.

He aint satisfied wit hittin the game winninin shot, it has to be IN SOMEONE'S FACE.

? musta had a ? up childhood.
  • papa carajo
    papa carajo Members Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ya'll took it to a whole other level. damn. an aura of evil around him? we got a buncha salty hurt groupies in here acting like MJ's the damn antichrist. holy hell he got paid to play hoops. in his case he was the best to ever do it. makes no difference if he the greatest ever or top 50 ....when the corporate giants dumped the truck load of money on his table, an image was created. for better or worse folk.

na.. worst human? please. people building ad campaigns, in MJs case the ? nike brand itself, around less than deserving characters. blame them, if anyone, for you getting suckered in. u bought the image, now when all this ? comes out, you mad? lol. c'mon dude. I bet you think lebron ain't smoking weed, getting slurped up by 5 white chicks after every game too huh? bet u think tiger ain't in some ? (that ain't his wife) right now either? santas real too boy. so is the tooth fairy.

nobodys infallible. we all human. we all make mistakes. we all have vices. grow the ? up.