Whatever happened to sense of humor in Hip Hop?

Options
Lab Baby
Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Reason
Growing up, my favorite rappers were Redman, Busta, ODB, Luda and Em. And the one thing they had in common was that they were all funny as hell. They said outrageous ? , and had the funniest videos. That kind of thing was respected in hip hop. Now when someone comes out in weird colorful clothes a la Busta, says some outrageous psychopathic ? a la Em, or or does weird ? with their voice like ODB, it's considered ? , ? , crazy, etc. Granted, these individuals look stupid doing it in their +30s, and the ones that are doing it currently (Nicki, Wayne, Tyler) aren't as talented... but since 05 I seen a surplus of artists taking themselves way too seriously, and the ones that don't are considered wack and written off as one hit wonders. Everyone is either making money, ? someone's ? off the money they made, or killing someone cuz they hated on them making money. Everyone wants to be perfect and not look silly, even if by accident. Where are the funny videos? Where's the crazy drugged out psychopath talk? Where are the cartoonish personalities that can still be real artists? I miss that.

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    People are caught up in being "gangster" and having "swag". I really think alot of these rappers care about how people view them, ? is sad yo.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea ? gone I'll neva forget da hate I got on here for makin comedic songs havin fun da fans are super serious now
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap ain't suppose to be funny.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that element has always been a part of hip hop you can go all the way back to guys like the fat boys, de la, digital underground, flavor flav.

now the fans expectations are different so the artists have to follow suit.
  • thecomebacklegend
    thecomebacklegend Members Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    Options
    have yall heard future album?
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    that element has always been a part of hip hop you can go all the way back to guys like the fat boys, de la, digital underground, flavor flav.

now the fans expectations are different so the artists have to follow suit.

All You Can Eat is a top 5 song in music period.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The artists have to follow suit?...That's the opposite of art...
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Times always change. Sometimes you gotta just listen to what you want even if its 15 years old or whatever. At least theres those artists you like, even if they didnt come out yesterday I still listen to 90s stuff all the time, but be bumpin Future or whoever now.
  • young_reezy
    edited August 2012
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »

well thats where the difference is.

hip hop is more of a business today than ever before. when you take things like marketing and target demographics into account, at the end of the day it's all about making the most money in the least amount of time.

the art does tend to suffer because of it because you have a lot of copy cat artists who feel like instead of being true to themselves and what they feel they have to conform to whats current to sastisfy the demand for whats hot.

we live in a assembly line society.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One main difference frm a 70s baby (was in my teens-20s in 90,'s),society was different. This was before terrorattacks and money was much easier to come by. However you wanted to get it. But im lovin life now.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TImT9oBWRg
    one of my favorite tracks i did ? had a meanin too i was tired of them frontin hoes lls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5emgYb7qK4
    lmao drugs was behind dis track

man wish da youtube of Charlie Sheen Swag was up btw da vid is ? up but dat track was creative as ? lls
  • Lab Baby
    Options

hip hop is more of a business today than ever before. when you take things like marketing and target demographics into account, at the end of the day it's all about making the most money in the least amount of time.

the art does tend to suffer because of it because you have a lot of copy cat artists who feel like instead of being true to themselves and what they feel they have to conform to whats current to sastisfy the demand for whats hot.

One main difference frm a 70s baby (was in my teens-20s in 90,'s),society was different. This was before terrorattacks and money was much easier to come by. However you wanted to get it. But im lovin life now.

I remember when D12's Devil's Night came out in '01. Purple Pills was poppin. Then 9/11 happened just when they dropped the vid for Fight Music. At that point people didn't wanna hear about violence being made fun of. To me though, the industry is still insensitive to society cuz they push this rock star baller lifestyle on a country in massive debt with a high unemployment rate. I guess it's a reflection of society itself; we've become so desensitized and cynical in life that the only thing that moves us is money.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Danny Brown's pretty funny. Not the greatest rapper, but he's one dude carrying that torch.
  • young_reezy
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

I remember when D12's Devil's Night came out in '01. Purple Pills was poppin. Then 9/11 happened just when they dropped the vid for Fight Music. At that point people didn't wanna hear about violence being made fun of. To me though, the industry is still insensitive to society cuz they push this rock star baller lifestyle on a country in massive debt with a high unemployment rate. I guess it's a reflection of society itself; we've become so desensitized and cynical in life that the only thing that moves us is money.

I dont wanna go all conspiracy theorist in here but my thoughts behind that is that the societal powers that be would rather keep folks in a dumbed out state of fear, so songs making light of violence and bringing humor to it is now frowned upon after 9/11, but songs about cashing out, balling and big spending are still celebrated even though the country is in massive debt as you stated. just my opinion.
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ASAP Rocky and schoolboy q are funny too.
    some of these new rap ? are some funny looking muthafuckas.
    when it comes to being funny no one is funnier than Ghostface and ?
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What u mean?? Ain't 50 still tryna make a comeback??? That's ? hilarious!
  • young_reezy
    edited August 2012
    Options
    it's a few artists who have used humor in thier style over the recent years some that jump right out at me are people like snoop,busta,em,redman, and even mac dre.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Busta went thug
    ? died
    Red can't drop an album (label trouble or laziness)
    Luda tried to mature his content
    Em tried to mature his content too

Let's be honest though, Em's humor was slightly ? mixed with some horrorcore. idk how people can still listen to his music 10+ years later
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^I know damn well I can't
  • young_reezy
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Busta went thug
    ? died

Let's be honest though, Em's humor was slightly ? mixed with some horrorcore. idk how people can still listen to his music 10+ years later

I agree, and if you look at that list of artists besides odb being dead and red's label issues the other emcee's basically tried to mature their content or change their image which was more of a marketing strategy than an artistic influence.

oh yeah and em's humor was sick and ? , you could tell that it was coming from a real place within himself, the listeners can tell if the music is authentic even if they aren't consciously aware of it.

• Lab Baby
    Options
    Busta went thug
    ? died

Redman dropped Reggie in '10... I liked it, not his best though. C/S everything else... that's due to them dudes growing up though (cept Busta, he hasn't made a real mature album yet). And hell, half of what's considered funny, especially back then, had some ? overtones. That's why it's so funny... we know they won't go there, at least not fully, but it's extreme enough to where it has that WTF factor (Em crossed the line with that Bruno ? though).
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NgXDxXUX1Q
    drugs was behind dis track too I have no idea why i said i wanted to make it rain wit monopoly money lls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLnlfqg70Xs&feature=relmfu
    makin fun of ? blatant lies bout trappin druglord rap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwmAXgpeI5E
    made dis during da cavs 27 game losin streak same day i made it nd released it they snapped it against da clippers lmao
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Axel just turned this into a promo thread lmao
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Busta went thug
    ? died

lol, good point.

I remember when rappers used to make fun of themselves in videos. Will Smith's "I think I can beat Mike Tyson" was one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t9SCHLRDoY

Times change and emo/swag rap took over. I blame it one this younger/lame generation