Why Do Black People Call Themselves "? "?

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No such thing as a genuine ? , ever heard of a genuine mobster, genuine politician? Nope, so let the word die.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GZus wrote: »
    Real ? = real person = genuine person

Yall dudes stay confusing real ? for street ?

EDIT: ? what a ? think about you because we don't represent every Black person, even though we kinda do

This ? right here. So no...you should never stop being a real ? .
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Kushington wrote: »
    SlickestR wrote: »
    i think that when people say "real ? " they associate it with street involvement because ? in the streets have a credibility to uphold and it relates to their activity in the streets. If they talk about about what they do and aren't actually doing it, they credibility takes a hit and they get labelled as a "fake ? "

so in that aspect, if a street ? ain't really doing what he says he does in the street, he's not a "real ? "

Why do we identify with "? " in the first place tho? Why do we call ourselves "? "?

The word is still a racial slur regardless of how we feel about it, because it can cause a negative reaction if the wrong person uses it.

You dont see jews calling themselves "real ? ", or hispanics calling themselves "real spics", asians dont consider themselves "real chinks"

lol... nah now they call themselves ? ... but we'll just ignore that so u can make your point... what is your point exactly?

Thats another thing. We allow OTHER races of people to call us and themselves OUR racial slurs, and its all good, under the guise of "hip hop culture"

I know one thing, my nonblack friends who respect black people dont use the n word

My point is....why do we accept inferiority?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    GZus wrote: »
    Real ? = real person = genuine person

Yall dudes stay confusing real ? for street ?

EDIT: ? what a ? think about you because we don't represent every Black person, even though we kinda do

This was the original meaning (even though I don't agree with the overuse of the word, especially when it's not used between two black people who are okay with the use of the word). I'm not sure what these new dudes use it as though. Depending on who you talk to, the definition is all over the place.

I hear some people acting like it's synonymous to a poor black person in a crime-filled neighborhood, who resorts to criminal activity as a means to make money. While another group of people act like it means you're a tough guy who gets all the women and money.

the bolded is what the term has been flipped to thanks to young jeezy's and others.....

who remembers when jeezy when off on the radio station in philly about nas ?

"Nas ain't a real ? , Nas ain't never bust his gun, he ain't got ? doing FED time"

LoL & SMH

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    "Real men we have a code of ethics
    No question
    No jealousies
    No feminine tendencies
    We expecting
    No gossip
    No phony logic
    No counting your ? pocket
    Spare no expense for legal defense
    If your ? locked up
    No keeping tabs
    On who was the last who looked out
    Selfishness
    That's a character flaw
    No holding out"

- Nas on Friends
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think that when people say "real ? " they associate it with street involvement because ? in the streets have a credibility to uphold and it relates to their activity in the streets. If they talk about about what they do and aren't actually doing it, they credibility takes a hit and they get labelled as a "fake ? "

so in that aspect, if a street ? ain't really doing what he says he does in the street, he's not a "real ? "

because he's not a man of his word. that's why his credibility takes a hit, he becomes un-trustworthy. he's a liar. u don't have to be a street ? to be a real ? . the word is synonymous with the streets, because it came from the streets.

being a real ? is all about self-conduct and characteristics, the same ? that makes someone a "reliable trust worthy good person" is what makes a "real ? "

everybody is "reliable and trust worthy" until u really get to know them. and everybody is a "real ? " until you ,really get to know them.

exactly, and that's what i'm saying. Street ? use it more because it involves activity that relates with "credibility" You don't have to be a street ? to be a real ? , but does non-street ? worry about credibility like that? I don't think so. If somebody is not reliable and trust worthy you cut them ? off without no strings attached.

If a street ? is not trust worthy and impersonating a character is this not actually themselves, does that ? work around like a he a free bird? Not always.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The word ? is too subjective / ambiguous to be meaningful here, so just ask yourself "When should somebody stop being real ?".
  • SlickestR
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    The word ? is too subjective / ambiguous to be meaningful here, so just ask yourself "When should somebody stop being real ?".

because then they're not portraying something that's realistic and authentic.

• Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    Be$T_1 wrote: »
    the term "real ? " has been tossed up and abused by the likes of opportunist rappers, bloggers, and others.....

the term needs to be hung up, young jeezy turned it into a joke.....

"i'm a hunnid percent real ? " "from one real ? to the next ? " "thats real ? ? homie" "only a real ? gon feel ya homie"

all quotes i've heard young jeezy use that have left a bad taste in my mouth about the term "real ? " .....

He's not the only one tho

Im starting to think the music and that segment of the culture is poison to our minds....

you just now seeing this? Folks on here will go on all day and say im not influenced by music yadda-yadda, but somehow someway there was some influence. Sound is scientifically proven to alter your chemistry on several levels.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options

because he's not a man of his word. that's why his credibility takes a hit, he becomes un-trustworthy. he's a liar. u don't have to be a street ? to be a real ? . the word is synonymous with the streets, because it came from the streets.

being a real ? is all about self-conduct and characteristics, the same ? that makes someone a "reliable trust worthy good person" is what makes a "real ? "

everybody is "reliable and trust worthy" until u really get to know them. and everybody is a "real ? " until you ,really get to know them.

exactly, and that's what i'm saying. Street ? use it more because it involves activity that relates with "credibility" You don't have to be a street ? to be a real ? , but does non-street ? worry about credibility like that? I don't think so. If somebody is not reliable and trust worthy you cut them ? off without no strings attached.

If a street ? is not trust worthy and impersonating a character is this not actually themselves, does that ? work around like a he a free bird? Not always.

who don't worry about their creditably?????

who wanna be known for, not being credible???

who wanna be around some one who's known, for not being credible???

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Real men we have a code of ethics
    No question
    No jealousies
    No feminine tendencies
    We expecting
    No gossip
    No phony logic
    No counting your ? pocket
    Spare no expense for legal defense
    If your ? locked up
    No keeping tabs
    On who was the last who looked out
    Selfishness
    That's a character flaw
    No holding out"

- Nas on Friends

The losers on this site (especially but not only the reason) do nothin but violate these principles. And spoken by their "favorite" rapper? Believe I look at this site as the meaningless nonsense it is. Hahahahha.
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    Options
  • SlickestR
    Options

? you know what the ? i mean.

there's ? that aren't involved in that street ? that still hangs out with ? that are untrustworthy and unreliable as ? .

Type of ? who won't confront their homeboys for some ? like that.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

there's ? that aren't involved in that street ? that still hangs out with ? that are untrustworthy and unreliable as ? .

there's nothing to confront, if you already know those ? are unreliable and un-trustworthy, why the ? would u hang around them???
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How bout just being real. in the real since of it.. not in the social media. like my status type of way
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What i don't understand about the non street usage of the term "real ? " is:

if you are "handling your bizness" i.e. displaying competence, moral fortitude, and integrity in all aspects of your life......why do you need some ? label to let the world know that you are doing so?

In fact, why are we giving out rewards on what you SHOULD BE DOING anyway?

"They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity"-Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible), 2004
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You lost me with that ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote:
    I just watched a couple Bro Polight videos, so I'm in an Afrocentric mood right now.

Its going to wear off at some point. But as of right now, I feel like rap music, especially the trap genre, has poisoned my mind and point of view.

Some people try to differentiate between black people and "? ". Without explaining myself, I wouldnt have any of the characteristics of a "? " if I stop acting like a "real ? ".

So should a black person ever stop being a "real ? "? Serious question.

You lost for letting rap influence you to that extent. It's just entertainment. It's not supposed to be the guide to living your life.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Young Jeezy is a mundane rapper and needs to hang it up, I just can't wait for black men to pull up their pants, quit saying ? , wear polos that FIT and jeans that FIT and a BELT and tucked in shirt. Is it that hard to look like you have morals, character, and a decent human being?!!!

not gonna happen bruh..
    sorry.. its jus not..
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Kushington wrote:
    I just watched a couple Bro Polight videos, so I'm in an Afrocentric mood right now.

Its going to wear off at some point. But as of right now, I feel like rap music, especially the trap genre, has poisoned my mind and point of view.

Some people try to differentiate between black people and "? ". Without explaining myself, I wouldnt have any of the characteristics of a "? " if I stop acting like a "real ? ".

So should a black person ever stop being a "real ? "? Serious question.

You lost for letting rap influence you to that extent. It's just entertainment. It's not supposed to be the guide to living your life.

Are you trying to be ironic?

I've said plenty of times that rap doesnt affect my actual life, my behavior. Your post, verbatim, is the exact thing I tell others.

But it does affect my demeanor and outlook. Nobody would want to be a "real ? " if it wasnt for rap music condoning and reaffirming it, because the music is seen as a part of a "culture".
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gangster rap made me do it..
  • SlickestR
    Options

there's nothing to confront, if you already know those ? are unreliable and un-trustworthy, why the ? would u hang around them???

what do you mean there's nothing to confront, if i'm going stop hanging around ? because i know their unreliable and untrustworthy ? gone pick up on that and ? be asking me why i ain't kick in it wit em, ain't that a confrontation ?

I would tell them ? why, but there's people out their would swept ? under the rug and be lyin from they homeboys and won't be tellin them with the real reason why they stop ? with em.

I'm not sayin you gotta report to them ? , but if they confrontin you tell em the real.
  • SlickestR
    Options

You lost me with that ?

why would you stop being a genuine and realistic person? You won't be portraying something that's realistic if you stop being real.