Why Do Black People Call Themselves "? "?

Options

Comments

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    We don't call ourselves ? ...That's what white folks called us, and we said "ok, we'll be that then"

Answer me this tho, why do crackas, spics, ? , chinks/? and other slant-eyed cats call themselves ? ?
  • nepats
    nepats Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what i can see, really college educated black people do not call themselves or anybody ? . ? seems to just be word used by people that don't have more than a bachelors degree.

when was the last time presedent obama, michelle, or condolezza rice said ? in public?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    key word.. in public..

Obeezy be sayin ? ..
    TRUST! hahaha
  • MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't stand when people who aren't African American use the n word!! I'm not even black and I HATE hearing that ? !!!
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GZus wrote: »
    We don't call ourselves ? ...That's what white folks called us, and we said "ok, we'll be that then"

Answer me this tho, why do crackas, spics, ? , chinks/? and other slant-eyed cats call themselves ? ?

Because they are ? ....
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People who allow themselves to perpetuate negative stereotypes, or any stereotypes really, solely out of a desire to be a part of something or a deep longing to 'stay in their lane' are some of the worst kinds of people in my opinion. If you do this and consider yourself a 'real ? ' it becomes a paradox because you are likely not being real. Word to kids coming from good homes ruining chances at healthy, legal success for these reasons.

Oh and Shad >>> Every rapper from Atlanta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jhn3X8gGEA
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    nepats wrote: »
    From what i can see, really college educated black people do not call themselves or anybody ? . ? seems to just be word used by people that don't have more than a bachelors degree.

when was the last time presedent obama, michelle, or condolezza rice said ? in public?

this is absolute horseshit...
    I would explain but this is not the designated thread...
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people don't call themselves ?

Only ? call themselves and their friends ?

What are you talking about? ? call each other ? all day

• Kushington
    Options

Obviously because of hip hop.

You think those people are black? You think saying the n word makes somebody black or down with black people?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    LOL "I'm that other type of ? ." If I call some one a ? , I don't mean it in a nice way.
  • Kushington
    Options

I think theres a strong correlation between education/income level and how much you identify with being a ? /? .
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the big discussion? Black folks call each other ? . So the ? what? Two different meanings...

Say ? and ? doesn't have two different meanings

And I will show you a white dude, dying to be a part of the culture, knowing the meaning between the two more than you do...
  • Kushington
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    What's the big discussion? Black folks call each other ? . So the ? what? Two different meanings...

And I will show you a white dude, dying to be a part of the culture, knowing the meaning between the two more than you do...

All i got from this post is that you dont mind white people calling you a ? , because if they end it with an "a" instead of "er" its not racist
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

403b2f0d-9dbc-4dfd-8782-466c818d77fb.jpg
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

All i got from this post is that you dont mind white people calling you a ? , because if they end it with an "a" instead of "er" its not racist

Tell me you just trying to bait me. For real. If not, you are one ? maphuka if that's what you got from my post.

It was pretty self explanatory
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options

Obviously because of hip hop.

You think those people are black? You think saying the n word makes somebody black or down with black people?

@Kushington Hell no. My post obviously went over your head. I'm saying we may be the most hated demographic in the country, yet we're still the most imitated. Funny huh?

I don't condone anyone outside of Black folk saying the term "? /? " (Yes it's the same damn word)
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    "Everybody wanna be a nígga , but don't nobody wanna be a nígga"

thumbnail.aspx?q=4744977467574133&id=f391fcad80472d057f236c0cdf8fa746
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options

as if a ? bachelors degree is going to revolutionize somebody's use of vocabulary when they're chillin with they homeboys or when they're in the privacy of their own home.

look at the examples you used ? , that's reaching. Ain't no politician going to use any type of profanity on ? television or in the public eye.

get real, we're talking about everyday people, it doesn't matter if ? got a bachelor degree or if they dropped outta college, somebody is using the word ? .

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FR1LGsT7E

felt like posting this great speech

carry on ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote:
    I just watched a couple Bro Polight videos, so I'm in an Afrocentric mood right now.

Its going to wear off at some point. But as of right now, I feel like rap music, especially the trap genre, has poisoned my mind and point of view.

Some people try to differentiate between black people and "? ". Without explaining myself, I wouldnt have any of the characteristics of a "? " if I stop acting like a "real ? ".

So should a black person ever stop being a "real ? "? Serious question.

You lost for letting rap influence you to that extent. It's just entertainment. It's not supposed to be the guide to living your life.

Are you trying to be ironic?

I've said plenty of times that rap doesnt affect my actual life, my behavior. Your post, verbatim, is the exact thing I tell others.

But it does affect my demeanor and outlook. Nobody would want to be a "real ? " if it wasnt for rap music condoning and reaffirming it, because the music is seen as a part of a "culture".

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but previously you said this:
    But as of right now, I feel like rap music, especially the trap genre, has poisoned my mind and point of view.

If rap music has poisoned your mind and point of view, then you've let it adversely influence you. And then you say it doesn't affect your actual life, but turn around an admit that affects your demeanor and outlook. Well guess what, if your outlook is screwed it's going to have an affect on your life. Your demeanor and the way you carry yourself will affect how you are perceived by others an also have a very real affect on your life. If rap influences that, then once again it is affecting your real life.

What type of hip hop do you listen to? Gangsta rap, trap rap? Or conscious/mellow rap?

Pretty much anything from the 90s really, so some gangsta/drug, some abstract, some conscious, etc... It's all just entertainment though. None of it affects my personality or my worldview.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i've been societally conditioned to use & accept such a self hating/demoralizing term towards myself and my fellow bruthas.... i've tried to stop ...but sadly like most addictions it has become painfully obvious that the end is nowhere in sight..
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Many feelings were felt and displayed in this thread.

But here is my 2 cents...

I personally have no issue with '? ' being used amoungst blacks. However as I have got older, I have been thinking about the complete lack of respect for my Grandfather who came to the UK and had to endure white people using the word in a derogotary way, had to endure drinking in seperate bars from white folks, had to endure walking on designated sides of the roads for blacks and use ? only laundry mats etc...

One of the reasons I changed my screen name from Dat ? B1, to DNB1. Had to make a conscious effort to not influence the younger posters in such a negative way. Only reason I did it was to troll white posters when I first signed up. And only a couple of white posters would type my screen name, all real kool peeps apart from Riddlerap who is indeed racist. I am forever Dat ? , but in a less blatant way.

But the fact remains, our grandfathers/forefathers are turning in their graves at the fact that they endured real racism so that our generation did not have to suffer the same misfortunes. So that our generation could have equality.

What do we do? Call each other ? and allow REAL racist white people to laugh at us and say "they call each other ? , so what's the problem?"...

Like I said, I still use the word freely. But I realise that I am a product of my own ignorance when I do so.

EDIT: Real racist people will use the term "? " and the tone in there voice or type speak is easily determined as to how racist that person is. "? " is a term that blacks and other ethnic minorities use to refer to each other and there is NEVER any malice meant.

On the IC "? " is mainly used to troll folk.

The End.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even if we stop saying ? it won't stop other ppl from saying because that's how the word came to be, by others calling us that.

It's that fighter mentality of "so your gonna call me a ? and be scared of us and call us ignorant, well ? I'm gonna prove you wrong. ? it I'm that ? you love to hate."

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,? ,
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why cant blacks say ? .....

every culture calles each other the deragatory term within they circle...but dont want anyone else saying it...

but black people get slack for have our own terms...

we need to step up and stop letting every feel like they can tell us what we can and can not say...thats the problem