What Does DJ Khaled Do and is He Good for Hip-Hop?

Options

Comments

• H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

so basically even after reading all that ? , ive concluded that khaled does nothing.

He picks the songs, then he picks the artists he wants on the songs then he brainstorms over the direction of the song, comes up with a hook and then let's the artist drop bars and he puts it all together to make a hit record.

Translation: he gets all them other people together to make the music but he pays for the pizza.

Not exactly.

If you have ever seen the behind the scenes footage of him in the studio he's instrumental in adding elements to the music, creating the ideas, themes and hooks that go into the songs.

An executive-producer like Quincy Jones might go into the studio with Michael Jackson and create an album called Thriller without playing any instruments. People tend to undervalue the importance of what an exec-producer does and how difficult it is to make multiple hit records.

What is Khaled actually credited for? Producing or executive producing? There's nothing particularly unique about being an executive producer.

He's the executive-producer and producer, he puts together tracks with different producers and adds his own elements to the production and then picks the artists and then brainstorms with the artists over ideas, themes, and the overall direction of the song and then they record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHTqQCYqOIk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2euDnV7Qw8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

When you are active in every aspect of the creative process for a song from the music to the lyrics your input into the project is just as important as the artists who rap and sing on the song....but it's everbodys vision together that makes it special.

Check the album credits, he's listed as Executive Producer on his albums.
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I never knew people didn't know what Khaled does. DJs been dropping albums and singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxjjjXOSfg

...and Khaled is good for Hip-Hop. He always bring unity on his albums.

of course like kay slay and clue and drama
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was just talking about this. Its heads or tails about whether its good or bad. Yes he brings artist together I.e. Kiss and beans but from a culture aspect its just putting way more monkeys on stage then need be.

If he wants to make songs cool but u don't need Artist credits for that just collect ur production credits and shut the hell up, literally. Also he doesn't make artist step out of their comfort zone so he creates the same song (with big name artist) over and over
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Nile Gambino
    Nile Gambino Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the idea of a dj making an album that he brings all hot MC'S in the game and make them rap all together so it comes up as a compilation instead of buying each solo album you take all in one plate
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Was just talking about this. Its heads or tails about whether its good or bad. Yes he brings artist together I.e. Kiss and beans but from a culture aspect its just putting way more monkeys on stage then need be.

If he wants to make songs cool but u don't need Artist credits for that just collect ur production credits and shut the hell up, literally. Also he doesn't make artist step out of their comfort zone so he creates the same song (with big name artist) over and over

iXy6h.png

Go cop that:

Some people just see a sand-? DJ who yells on tracks and just throws together random artists over beats and then gets paid.

Some people see Nas & Scarface on a track produced by DJ Premeir called HipHop.

People been saying that Meek Mill stole Ace Hoods style well now we got them going toe-to-toe with Jalil Beats and Khaled on the production. What more could you ask?

Big Krit, J.Cole, & Kendrick Lamar on the same track, LiL Wayne Vs T.I. & some Big Sean Vs. Wiz Khalifa.....

I love that Block Party ? , I love to see unity and I love seeing a DJ/A&R het recognized on the level of a recording artist.

Cop that on your lunch break, when you get off work or when you find the time. It's worth the purchase.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    It's not really worth the purchase though. There are only a few standout tracks.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did khaled steal one of missy's old outfits from her videos and wore that ? on the back of his album cover
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Naw I'll pass on this still haven't bought or heard Nas album. (Slippin i know) Also I'm getting Meek Album and cruel Summer. I'll buy Hip Hop and They ready on iTunes tho.
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited August 2012
    Options
    http://youtu.be/Ukv0F8r0Np8

^ KHALED XPLAIN;D HIS LIFE STUNTIN ON U ? BOYZ...HOW CAN ANYBODY B MAD @ A DUDE WHO IS TRYNA BRING PEOPLE N HIPHOP 2GETHER 2 DO COLLABOZ?? IF U R MAD @ KHALED U R A CRAB LIKE THAT BABOON CRACKA BOO BOO AKA DOO DOO CUZ KHALED GOT FACE & NAS ON A RECORD HOW CAN U HATE ON THAT? KHALED IS GOOD FA HIPHOP CUZ HE BRINGZ UNITY & HE DJZ, RAPZ & RUNZ A LABEL!

http://youtu.be/gwYtWb8oM_A
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who else has the line up of artist that Khaled does?

Clear Channel.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Who else has the line up of artist that Khaled does?

Nobody.

You can have a lineup of a million people but if you don't have the ability to bring those people together then it means nothing.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow lmao Sooooo in essence Khaled is the equivalent of when someone says : I'm a consultant...vague AF

At best, he's doing something that anyone could do. 'Pick hits' in this day in age?

Reminds me of that Boondocks episode: "Thugnificent is it ? butt cheeks or move them butt cheeks?...'Ngga its a song about butt cheeks!"

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not exactly.

If you have ever seen the behind the scenes footage of him in the studio he's instrumental in adding elements to the music, creating the ideas, themes and hooks that go into the songs.

An executive-producer like Quincy Jones might go into the studio with Michael Jackson and create an album called Thriller without playing any instruments. People tend to undervalue the importance of what an exec-producer does and how difficult it is to make multiple hit records.

Cmon bro you're better than that. We've all seen enough behind the scenes of making songs to know that coming up with hooks/ideas/melodies is not the hard part and rarely comes from 1 person specifically chosen to do that

Most times its just random nggas all smokin weed in the studio and they bounce ? off each other. You cannot tell me Drake, who specializes in hooks, needs Khaled to coach him

You cannot tell me that Dj Premier needs Khaled, and ONLY Khlaed, to tell him how to scratch on that Nas and Scarface song (yet b/c Preme is bein nice in that vid he's like 'oh, oh okay you want me to scratch like this?) lOL

???????
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He breaks records just like any other DJ.
  • P. Town
    Options
    Khaled's albums are no different than DJ Clue's 'The Professional' albums
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Dj's still break records? Other than Flex these Hip Hop websites have all the exclusives
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What he does? he gets on my nerves is what the ? he does!
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »

khaled b rappin on his ? tho so him & clue aint da same..,.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Check the album credits, he's listed as Executive Producer on his albums.

Why tha ? do you make this so easy!?

Listennn... the Album (Terror Squad/Koch) - Don't know, I don't have the booklets
    We the Best (Terror Squad/Koch) - same as above
    We Global (Terror Squad/WTB/Koch) - Executive Producer Allah... lmmfao
    Victory (We The Best/E1 Music) - Executive Producers Allah & Khaled Khaled
    We the Best Forever (Cash Money/YM/WTB/Universal Motown) - Executive Producers Bryan “Baby Birdman” Williams, Ronald “Slim Tha Don” Williams, Dwayne “The President” Carter
    Kiss The Ring (Cash Money/YM/WTB/Universal Republic) - Executive Producers Bryan “Baby Birdman” Williams, Ronald “Slim Tha Don” Williams, Dwayne “The President” Carter

Tha funny thing is you posted tha back of Kiss The Ring and tha ? still ain't listed.

To end this once and for all and executive producer in hip hop is usually one of three things:
    1) A representative of a label, most times an executive (CEO/President), oftentimes an A&R rep
    2) The main producer of a project - think The Hitmen with Jay-Z's American Gangster, No ID and S. Remi on Nas' Life is Good.
    3) A ? co-sign - Jay-Z on Lupe's Food and Liquor
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    GeE-757 wrote: »

He should stop doing that
  • P. Town
    Options

A lot of DJ's rap every once in a while
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrpWxoHL9k

• H-Rap 180
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Not exactly.

Cmon bro you're better than that. We've all seen enough behind the scenes of making songs to know that coming up with hooks/ideas/melodies is not the hard part and rarely comes from 1 person specifically chosen to do that

Most times its just random nggas all smokin weed in the studio and they bounce ? off each other. You cannot tell me Drake, who specializes in hooks, needs Khaled to coach him

You cannot tell me that Dj Premier needs Khaled, and ONLY Khlaed, to tell him how to scratch on that Nas and Scarface song (yet b/c Preme is bein nice in that vid he's like 'oh, oh okay you want me to scratch like this?) lOL

???????

It's so easy then why aren't you doing it?

It's a million DJs out there so why are they not putting together retail albums with hit records?
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    Dj Clue doesn't get artist credits tho....

His songs isn't DJ Clue ft. Such and such
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

Khaled produces too and he's an executive producer on all his albums.