Did "No Hands" save Wale's career?

Options
CallMeWelvin
CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Reason
I think so. Dude previously album had flopped, he got dropped by his label, and was pretty irrelevant. That verse showed that Wale could get out of his comfort zone of making boring monotonous music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=skhxizRYxps

This verse made people pay attention to him mainly because he rode the beat excellently. This verse helped him get signed by Ross. Too bad that's the best verse Wale has ever had.

Comments

• nycdiesel
    nycdiesel Members Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It gave the urban audience a chance to see whale shine. Before interscope had this ? being marketed to pop crowd. So in essence yeah it did
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems that way
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Technically..yes.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lotus Flower Bomb had more to do with his success than that did, of course it just my opinion but the broads were all over it. A few knew who he was because of "Ambitious Girl" a poem from More About Nothing. Believe it or not, chicks like that side of Wale a lot more than what he pretends to be.

In fact of his target audience, that I know of, more people liked Attention Deficit. Hell I prefer Attention Deficit as well.

Doing weak ass records with Waka Flocka was the same as him doing ? with Lady Gaga or whoever the ? was in "Chillin". Its NOT Wale, not authentic anyway. You can tell those are label moves.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • can'tyoutell
    can'tyoutell Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Before this song came out, Wale seemed to be going down the "Common" and "Talib Kweli" path. Seemed like one of those conscious underground rappers. I think this song showed that he could get on hot records that people can dance to.

Wale actually seemed to do a transformation, probably one of the most changed artists. It wasn't just the no hands record. He went on a tear for a little bit with record after record. I might be wrong, but the first rendition of wale was a Black Thought kind of rapper. Then all of a sudden, he became popular and his records were more appealing to the mainstream.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes.

I would say this and then when the Diary video came out chicks were feeling it which led to them checking for More About Nothing around the time he hooked up with MMG. And then he had a slew of hits on his sophmore album.

I never envisioned he would be where he is now after AD flopped. I went to like 4 Targets and couldn't find it so I ended up getting it on iTunes. I couldn't believe it flopped even with Pretty Girls featuring a 2009 Gucci. I still remember when 100 Miles and Running dropped. I was bumping Back To The Feature 3 years ago on this same road trip I'm about to take Thursday. Things are quite different now.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The verse is ass and your telling me that is Wale's best verse ever. Wale is ass.

damnwade.gif
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Hands, Ambitious Girl, and Lotus Flower Bomb are some of the most important records in his career. I got on the Wale train late tho, i think of him as a versatile rapper, people keep boxing him into the conscious route or hipster route or trap route but his catalog speaks for it self
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it pretty much saved his career as far as him wanting to be mainstream and have appeal.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u know what??? I agree cuz it DID show that he can be diverse and hold his own on a mainstream song. He took it, ran with it and has been running ever since. But yes it did start with No Hands.
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    Options
    not really saved it, just got him out the "backpacker" box he was stuck in
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ Yamoley. 

Save is a strong word but that song made him relevant on the Urban music side and proved he had the ability to make club/radio tracks instead of that GaGa ? with Interscope.

Lotus Flower Bomb & That Way really solidified Wale with the Sistas and helped him find his niche in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnO3Bn6RLxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He explains his career in this Vid, Wale easily the greatest Afrikan rapper of all time.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She said look ma...
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Lotus Flower Bomb had more to do with his success than that did, of course it just my opinion but the broads were all over it. A few knew who he was because of "Ambitious Girl" a poem from More About Nothing. Believe it or not, chicks like that side of Wale a lot more than what he pretends to be.

In fact of his target audience, that I know of, more people liked Attention Deficit. Hell I prefer Attention Deficit as well.

Doing weak ass records with Waka Flocka was the same as him doing ? with Lady Gaga or whoever the ? was in "Chillin". Its NOT Wale, not authentic anyway. You can tell those are label moves.

if it werent for no hands ... lotus flower bomb that way etc... may have never seen the light of day ...........

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    it pretty much saved his career as far as him wanting to be mainstream and have appeal.

• H-Rap 180
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »

if it werent for no hands ... lotus flower bomb that way etc... may have never seen the light of day ...........

If it weren't for "Nike Boots" then No Hands might not have seen the light of day ;)
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes it did, but it didnt help boost waka of dash at all
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

If it weren't for "Nike Boots" then No Hands might not have seen the light of day ;)

? wasnt feelin that ? down south, we was laughin at that ?

nike boots lol, who wear them ?

the track was all about DC, i don't think its was supposed to be a big single lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ nggas tryin to wax philosophical on this ?

Yes, it did. He dumbed it down and prospered for it. Welcome to hip hop of the new millenium. It aint that hard to understand.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Nike Boots made no noise down here lol. No Hands made him a household name.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

? wasnt feelin that ? down south, we was laughin at that ?

nike boots lol, who wear them ?

You act like you gotta pop in the South just to eat.

I'm just making a generalization that one song leads to another, if it wasn't for Wale mixtapes he would have never got a deal, if he never got a deal he would have never got dropped from his deal and had the freedom to do a song like No hands.

I have listened to him talk about his career in a lot of interviews and he always says the same thing in regards to his career.

....who's that one idiot in here talking to herself while us grown folks is talking?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he needs to showcase DMV artists