How is Eminem anywhere near a top 10 rapper based on catalog alone?

Options

Comments

• H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VmurRuD6ZA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whites worship him like they do Elvis and corny Negroes worship him like white Jesus.

He ain't top 10 but people feel obliged to throw him in there top ten because he's a token-white who sold a lot of records to whites.

I can't understand why people give so much praise to this soulless mutant instead of giving praise to Black Thought who is criminally underrated and slept on.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is Eminem's lyrical ability ya'll speak of? He raps fast, period
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Whites worship him like they do Elvis and corny Negroes worship him like white Jesus.

He ain't top 10 but people feel obliged to throw him in there top ten because he's a token-white who sold a lot of records to whites.

I can't understand why people give so much praise to this soulless mutant instead of giving praise to Black Thought who is criminally underrated and slept on.

To play devil's advocate, Black Thought doesn't get the props he deserves cuz he's in a group. If groups were taken in account, people's list would look a lot different. Let's face it, Thought, Q Tip, Sadat X, Fredro Starr, Big Boi, Buckshot, Prodigy, Posdonus, MJG>>>>> a lot of these "GOATs".
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless how u feel the SOUND of it isnt Dated

How can you say regardless of how you feel and then go ahead and reference something like SOUND? Something that is ALL based on feel?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem show is his best body of work.I just feel with eminem's skills on the Mic is on point but it tends to get overshadowed by his theatrics like his cross dressing wanting to ? his mom or tie up his ex girlfriend and throw her in the trunk or making fun of Michael Jackson for the billionths time.Take and strip all of that away and down to the core this man knows how to rap.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Regardless how u feel the SOUND of it isnt Dated

How can you say regardless of how you feel and then go ahead and reference something like SOUND? Something that is ALL based on feel?

Sound is not based on Feel and definetly not emotional feelings.

Just cuz u don't like trumpets u can't say that they sound like Saxaphones because of how u feel
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

To play devil's advocate, Black Thought doesn't get the props he deserves cuz he's in a group. If groups were taken in account, people's list would look a lot different. Let's face it, Thought, Q Tip, Sadat X, Fredro Starr, Big Boi, Buckshot, Prodigy, Posdonus, MJG>>>>> a lot of these "GOATs".

Your point is mute because you named rappers who were in groups alongside other rappers, Black Thought is the lone rapper in his group, he just uses a live band.

comicbook_page7_ad_proof2.jpg?w=460&h=710
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    [quo

te="Lab Baby;4842196"]

To play devil's advocate, Black Thought doesn't get the props he deserves cuz he's in a group. If groups were taken in account, people's list would look a lot different. Let's face it, Thought, Q Tip, Sadat X, Fredro Starr, Big Boi, Buckshot, Prodigy, Posdonus, MJG>>>>> a lot of these "GOATs".[/quote]

Black thought is in a Band tho he holds down them albums lyrically by himself for the most part
    And if Andre 3000 can get praised even tho he had an equally Dope Emcee with him why can't Black Thought?

I think it comes down to features u really have to be a Roots fan to hear him spit.

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O yeah black thought needs more shine....tupac affected everything phrases lik thug people tatoos .jay a game changer...emiem just helped white people come out the closet listen I like rap but im not thug an im a lame... it like silly avant-garde rap icpish ? fast its alright not realtable for hiphop intended demo should had whites for rap whites only surburan negros stamp on it.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Thought will never get the shine he deserves because of Questlove, Questlove is too artsy and as a result the Roots have remain a niche type group. There is no reason why the Roots couldn't have had the success like A Tribe Call Quest, but they just never went out their comfort zone.
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Your point is mute because you named rappers who were in groups alongside other rappers, Black Thought is the lone rapper in his group, he just uses a live band.

comicbook_page7_ad_proof2.jpg?w=460&h=710

Actually, Malik B is/was in the Roots too, although not as active. My point still stand though, because people see The Roots as a band, not as a band fronted by Black Thought. I actually agree with you though. And speaking of Ghost, he's definitely top 10 material as well.

@Gen, I already mentioned Big Boi.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    If Biggie can be one why cant Em?

U say he doesnt have any classics, I say he has 1.

U say his bad album is ? terrible, I say its just not good.

? ban yourself for saying that ? smh.

U can do better then that Cain
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    its like yall want an album from Eminem in which his content mimics Jay's or somethin like that. thats unrealistic and if he did, yall would claim fraud.

Not Really. I personally think he's overrated *shrugs*
  • Daddy_PeaceBuck$
    Daddy_PeaceBuck$ Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    @Gen. Without out throwing shots could you go toe toe with Em in a battle.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

Forgive that guy he's a mullato (HaLF).....raised by a white woman like Marshall Mathers mother so he can relate to Emenims subject matter and behavior more than we can.

Biggies rhymes are some of the most quoted rhymes in the history of HipHop but no rapper repeats Ememims corny lyrics.

However, I give Emenim credit for giving his fan base a type of music they can relate to.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    its like yall want an album from Eminem in which his content mimics Jay's or somethin like that. thats unrealistic and if he did, yall would claim fraud.

No, i just want a album where he doesn't have that 3-4 cheesy ass songs like Without Me, Real Slim Shady, Drips,etc.

If he could of stuck with what he did on Eight Mile soundtrack
  • Stew
    Options

Forgive that guy he's a mullato (HaLF).....raised by a white woman like Marshall Mathers mother so he can relate to Emenims subject matter and behavior more than we can.

Biggies rhymes are some of the most quoted rhymes in the history of HipHop but no rapper repeats Ememims corny lyrics.

However, I give Emenim credit for giving his fan base a type of music they can relate to.

Biggies rhymes are quoted so often cause theirs a bunch of dickriders in the industry.

Im not a mullato and my mother is not white ? cornball.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Havent you made this thread before?
  • Stew
    Options
    $pyda wrote: »
    Havent you made this thread before?

He changes the words up but basically they're all the same trying to degrade Em.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    I mean, idk how this is mind boggling to the thread starter

He said the SSLP & MMLP were 4 mic albums, the Eminem Show & Recovery were solid

So that's 4 albums 2 great, 2 good (although I think Relapse is better than Recovery)

Even If you dont add Infinite to this..... the question is already answered.

In SOME people's opinion, he has a solid catalog that grants top 10 status, despite the ? sammich that was Encore. He isnt in yours clearly, so why does it bother you?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    I don't consider a 4 mic album great, just good.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like I need to bring some wisdom & insight to yet another emotionally charged debate.

Okay this is the thing: Eminem is NICE, point blank period. As an MC they boy can ? rap. Any criticism you launch against him there's a black MC that does something similar. The cartoonish violence, animated delivery, and songs about drug abuse even the vague homosexual overtones. Trying to use that will never work but once criticism is indeed true: his catalogue is worthless.

As nice an MC Eminem is his albums rarely reflect his talent. The SSLP & MMLPs are very good albums. The subject matter ranged from drug abuse to struggles with his wife/child/family, overcoming the change from being poor to being rich, how it feels to be a white MC in hip-hop etc. After those two its hit or miss.

TES, Encore, Relapse, & Recovery are all either just okay or are weak. Its typical for a rapper with problems (inside the home and outside), drug issues and who lost their hunger to fall off. Its apart of the game, Eminem is no different from anyone else in these respects.

Now is Em top 5? ? no. Top 10...probably not, top 20 getting closer but who knows. I think the whole him being white thing upsets people but ? need to get over it.

In 2012 not the 1950s or the 1960s there's no Jim Crow in hip-hop. Eminem is also the ONLY white MC that gets the kind of respect he gets....he's not the only white MC either. The Beastie Boys caught the same flack when they blew up but ? got over it, they'll get over Eminem's success too. Eminem's backstory is more believable than most of these silly ? out here too. Eminem never went to college like Plies or 2 Chainz, he didn't come from a middle class home like Ice Cube or Kanye, his home life was as ? up as any rapper's has been. So why can't he tell his story in his own way?

Let the white boy cook, yeah he's overrated I know that but they boy is nice too, at least he has talent and more respect for the culture than most these other ? out here. You can't talk about respecting the culture if you support ? that willingly make a mockery of it. Em's racist tapes are on the same level as Pac being a backup dancer, or "Ross" being a C.O. Its cool to hold it against him but his career is larger than that.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited September 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I don't consider a 4 mic album great, just good.

Ok, even so...

he has enough good albums and the skills to be at least in someones bottom 5 (5-10)

So this shouldnt be hard to understand why he would be in someone's top 10.
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Looks like I need to bring some wisdom & insight to yet another emotionally charged debate.

Okay this is the thing: Eminem is NICE, point blank period. As an MC they boy can ? rap. Any criticism you launch against him there's a black MC that does something similar. The cartoonish violence, animated delivery, and songs about drug abuse even the vague homosexual overtones. Trying to use that will never work but once criticism is indeed true: his catalogue is worthless.

As nice an MC Eminem is his albums rarely reflect his talent. The SSLP & MMLPs are very good albums. The subject matter ranged from drug abuse to struggles with his wife/child/family, overcoming the change from being poor to being rich, how it feels to be a white MC in hip-hop etc. After those two its hit or miss.

TES, Encore, Relapse, & Recovery are all either just okay or are weak. Its typical for a rapper with problems (inside the home and outside), drug issues and who lost their hunger to fall off. Its apart of the game, Eminem is no different from anyone else in these respects.

Now is Em top 5? ? no. Top 10...probably not, top 20 getting closer but who knows. I think the whole him being white thing upsets people but ? need to get over it.

In 2012 not the 1950s or the 1960s there's no Jim Crow in hip-hop. Eminem is also the ONLY white MC that gets the kind of respect he gets....he's not the only white MC either. The Beastie Boys caught the same flack when they blew up but ? got over it, they'll get over Eminem's success too. Eminem's backstory is more believable than most of these silly ? out here too. Eminem never went to college like Plies or 2 Chainz, he didn't come from a middle class home like Ice Cube or Kanye, his home life was as ? up as any rapper's has been. So why can't he tell his story in his own way?

Let the white boy cook, yeah he's overrated I know that but they boy is nice too, at least he has talent and more respect for the culture than most these other ? out here. You can't talk about respecting the culture if you support ? that willingly make a mockery of it. Em's racist tapes are on the same level as Pac being a backup dancer, or "Ross" being a C.O. Its cool to hold it against him but his career is larger than that.

Agree with all this, cept I think TES was great, maybe his best lyrically... that's my opinion. But you know how it is in here... ? if you can rap, if you ain't got dope beats, rap about selling drugs, ? ? or other "black" ? Black people can "relate" to regardless if you lived it or not, then you gets no respect.
This discussion has been closed.