Do you think stereotypes hold some truth?

Options
2»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    It's sort of like integrals in calculus. Some problems can be solved analytically meaning they have an exact answer. However, most integrals are best sovled numerically meaning you'll get an answer but it's going to have an associated error.

There are very few descriptions that apply across the board to large groups. For those cases, the best you can do is a "numerical" description, in other words, something that captures a large percentage the group with a reasonable error. Stereotypes are like that. They are true as long as it is acknowledge that there is some error. That said, there are some cases where that error is so big that the stereotype loses any real usefulness.

Goat'd for the analogy.

You got any examples of said stereotypes like those you mention in the last bar?

It really depends on how you plan on using them. If say you were doing a psychological study on the effects of violence on people throughout childhood. Stereotypically, one might think blacks are the best place to look for viable participants. The problem is that, though a lot of blacks are subjected to a lot of violence at young ages, a large portion of us aren't. So the error there is too big. However, if the group was constricted to blacks from the inner city. Then you've cut that error by a great deal, and the stereotype is probably more useful. That's kind of a stupid example, but it's off the top of my head.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, but they can save you at the same time. If you see someone who looke stereotypically "dangerous" and you dodge them because of it, it might save you some trouble.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Stereotypes arent true, but not all of them are bad

White people get the "rich" stereotype, east asians get the "smart" stereotype, hispanics have the "hard worker" stereotype, only middle easterners and arabs have mostly negative stereotypes

Some black stereotypes are great, since I dont qualify for any of the negative ghetto ones people dont assume that of me, people generally assume I have a nice car, big ? , and am good at sports/music/? /dancing

• SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    asians cant drive

no stereotype
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    asians cant drive

no stereotype

Thats a fact, not a stereotype

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that some generalizations are true and some simply aren't.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The white in me just wants to shoot up the entire office when someone says the wrong thing to me.

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Some stereotypes are true. Met all kinds of people in all kinds of places. So I'll say they're not just made up. Just don't go out into the world thinking it's the law of the land.
  • nepats
    nepats Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont front, a lot of black athletes grew up without a father around for the most part.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nepats wrote: »
    dont front, a lot of black athletes grew up without a father around for the most part.

man I really get tired of hearing this same sob ass story,especially when its NBA season. they love to highlight that ? .
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    it depends where you go. if you in the burbs then it will be mostly whites in there and vice versa for a popeyes in the urban areas.

stereotypes have some level of truth to them, a lot of times they get exaggerated.
  • unRealLady1
    unRealLady1 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No sterotype holds truth. I notices that celebs like the internet, and a lot of them sterotype people on the net, as being unemployed and lazy. They figure the only ones that work hard is a famous celeb. Most of them think because u are on the computer you are trying to be internet star, and they feel internet stars are fake. The thing is if they werent famous they would be on the computer.
    I think some people think everyone who have a pic in their avi is trying to impress people over the net. I happen to keep myself clean and neat everyday, I’m not trying to please anyone but myself. Iam not competing with celebs from the computer. So I never understood why they bother to challenge.
  • DaCaliKing
    DaCaliKing Members Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that stereotypes exist for a reason. They just don't apply to EVERYONE.
  • DaCaliKing
    DaCaliKing Members Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real Lady1 wrote: »
    No sterotype holds truth. I notices that celebs like the internet, and a lot of them sterotype people on the net, as being unemployed and lazy. They figure the only ones that work hard is a famous celeb. Most of them think because u are on the computer you are trying to be internet star, and they feel internet
    stars are fake. The thing is if they werent famous they would be on the computer.
    I think some people think everyone who have a pic in their avi is trying to impress people over the net. I happen to keep myself clean and neat everyday, I’m not trying to please anyone but myself. Iam not competing with celebs from the computer. So I never understood why they bother to challenge.

wtf are u talking about? smdh

• MrLunatik1979
    MrLunatik1979 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaCaliKing wrote: »
    ? that stereotypes exist for a reason. They just don't apply to EVERYONE.
    This is pretty much how I see it.

Plus if it weren't for stereotypes we would have no racist jokes, and we all know them are the best ones sometimes.
  • SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes; white people stankkkkk when wet...and in general. They can't help it doe.
  • locksmith1
    locksmith1 Members Posts: 293
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    It's almost always more black folks at popeyes tho
    That depends on the location.
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course. The issue is that people tend to use stereotypes/generalizations too liberally without taking relevant variables into account.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Real Lady1 wrote: »
    No sterotype holds truth. I notices that celebs like the internet, and a lot of them sterotype people on the net, as being unemployed and lazy. They figure the only ones that work hard is a famous celeb. Most of them think because u are on the computer you are trying to be internet star, and they feel internet stars are fake. The thing is if they werent famous they would be on the computer.

? !