Options

Comments

• clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    [/quote

Yeah, Wu-tang Forever doesn't get the credit it deserves. And it's pretty much responsible for that early-to-mid 2000's sound we would hear, with the short-looped chipmunk-voice samples that the Heatmakerz and Kanye built their careers off. That whole sound began when the music led to that famous "Oh baby, for heavens sake". That right there started a whole generation of sound, IMO.

This man right here knows what hes talking about and its no opinion its a fact....RZA even said it in a interview....
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    revisionist history...
    I never heard anyone ? on IWW when it came out... some of Nas best work is on that joint both lyrically and commercially...
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't really say...
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    It Was Written is one of the most important albums, Me Against The World, Illmatic, It Was Written, 36 Chambers and some more.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why I always thought part of takeover was weak. It Was Written was nice and I Am was solid. Idk wtf Jay was talking about.

Back on topic The Massacre had a lot of great material I never thought it was a wack album like some have said.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    revisionist history...
    I never heard anyone ? on IWW when it came out... some of Nas best work is on that joint both lyrically and commercially...

Talking about the Hip Hop reviews, not civilians.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Immobalarity? Yeaaaah baby? I'm trying to think of albums that I like that were considered sophomore slumps, but nothing on the level of it was written, that album is a classic
    lol nah man raekwon had some joints on there but the 1st 3 songs have damn near the same beat lol but it was better than the one he dropped after it tho.

i co sign the wu forever joint that's the g.o.a.t double album to me

But to answer the question
    Muddy waters i don't hear too many people talk about that lp
    and it's my g.o.a.t next to iww

Yeah, Wu-tang Forever doesn't get the credit it deserves. And it's pretty much responsible for that early-to-mid 2000's sound we would hear, with the short-looped chipmunk-voice samples that the Heatmakerz and Kanye built their careers off. That whole sound began when the music led to that famous "Oh baby, for heavens sake". That right there started a whole generation of sound, IMO.

This man right here knows what hes talking about.......RZA
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    808s and Heartbreaks is a classic. Don't care what y'all say
  • mdot
    Options

That's cool I respect it. But personally I can't mess with that album. But as I get older I appreciate someone doing something creative and different.

• mdot
    Options
    Idk any Wu fans ? I think The W is do underrated had a classic Nas and snoop appearance haven't heard that album in years.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay I came up with one:

And Then There was X.

• Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And most on here don't care what you say either. 808's is HOT garbage...
  • JYo79
    JYo79 Members Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Options
    In the last 5 to 6 years, i would say Kanye West-Graduation.
  • jono
    Options
    Nobody slept on Graduation though, that ? sold a lot and is considered a great album.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

And most on here don't care what you say either. 808's is HOT garbage...

based of influence alone, its classic
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I know this thread isn't supposed to be about IWW, but it must be pointed out that it's based on a flawed premise. As already stated, IWW was a classic from day 1 in the streets. Everyone was feeling that ? , reciting them lyrics, whether singing along to "If I Ruled the World..." on the radio or bangin' "The Message" with the bass maxed out in the ride. All my boys had a copy of this CD and everyone I knew was feeling it.

The only people that ? on IWW when it came out were the 40 year old (mostly white) media 'elite' journalists and critics stuck on KRS-One and the promise that Nas was the second coming of Rakim, the unoffensive "? " MC. Turns out it was actually the first coming of Nas, the young street wise poet with lots of inner aggression, big dreams and ambitions, and some personal demons, and the result is the long, fascinating career we got from a man that's always got something interesting to say.

Sadly it's these journalist "gatekeepers" that write history and would have you believe this album wasn't appreciated when it came out. That's false. That's just critics that are just now smartening up and tryin' to save face. The streets and the rest of the world knew from day one. IWW is a platinum album not by accident, but by the strength and quality of an album that could play from start to finish. And still does.
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    Jay-Z Vol. 1

nahhhhhh

that time passed. If there was a time vol 1 could be viewed as a classic its now, but still most people dont thikn its classic

I do, ? people.

aight, to each his own but Vol 1 aint no got damn classic to MOST people

Speak for yourself lol

It's a classic!
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    za'kiss wrote: »

The only people that ? on IWW when it came out were the 40 year old (mostly white) media 'elite' journalists and critics stuck on KRS-One and the promise that Nas was the second coming of Rakim, the unoffensive "? " MC.

That's what i be tryna tell people. It ain't just white media journalists tho. Mufuckas was upset cuz that's the album where Nas basically blew up in the mainstream and his fans was mostly underground and you know how they can be. The thing with underground fans is that they're scared to lose their favorite rapper to the pop world which is why they hate when they blow up, and when they do they always wanna reference to their "older days"..basically before they became more relevant to the mainstream. They wanna hold on to the rapper by themselves.

How anyone cant agree that IWW is a classic is a mf fool and ive said that for years.
  • jono
    Options
    I'm not gonna front I'm mad at IWW too. I'm not mad at the material just that he felt it was necessary to switch his ? up so heavily for mainstream success. I always felt it wasn't as genuine as subsequent material or Illmatic.

Playing the Nas Escobar character helped his career and showed he could flex on an equal playin field with ? like Big & Rae but I prefer I AM to IWW.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    Options
    rich boys album. ? came out during the walk it out, ay bay bay, wack era so it was looked at like just another one of those, then plies came and stole dudes style usin gimmicks with it like havin a different singer on every single he had. rich boys album didnt have no gimmicks just tight music that sounds like what southern hip hop SHOULD sound like
  • Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    me personally i think thats nas best album
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes, vol. 1 was the ?
    only 2 songs on it that i didn't ? with and that's sunshine and i know what girls like
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Vol 2 was tight as well
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im going to say the Massacre 50 killed it with that album.