Timbaland says the current 808 pattern is played out

Options

Comments

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Mannie Fresh should be getting royalty checks from birthing these ? , because all these producers are using his style with these rolling drums.

I hate to be that ? , but I'd say the sound of today is more of a Paul and Juicy sound.

Mannie got a a lot of beats that sound like that though.

808s on the real though, you gotta go back to Bass and Electro.

This crazy ass goth synth aint nunbut Shawty Redd grandaddy. What's this 94-95? Sound like it came out last night. Compare this to how dated a lot of ? that came out in those years sound today.

This the South boom bap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBwXgrC0vM4
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is extremely wack and played out. It's sad too becuase I don't see it changing anytime soon. You'd think someone would you know try something new.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh prolly talkin bout the 808 in southside, lex, lody, young chop beats, 808's are widely used, but producers like shawty redd, drumma boy, paul and juice, mannie, etc knew how to switch it up a lot more
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    the 808 sound is played. But aint going no where anytime soon.

Most of these beatmakers are still on that Shawty Redd influenced sound.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem I have with this is this ? don't even be making his beats most of the time .

Really ? ? That's like saying Scott Storch, Mike Elizando,etc produced for Dr. Dre, all them ? do is play instruments and get a sound that Dre wants. That's like saying Quincy Jones doesn't produce because he doesn't play every instrument in the orchestra he uses.

Really ? I'm saying how can you down ? that put together the composition and produce the track. lex/southside/young chop put the beat together and produce that track and they more relevant than timbo right now .
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem I have with this is this ? don't even be making his beats most of the time .

Really ? ? That's like saying Scott Storch, Mike Elizando,etc produced for Dr. Dre, all them ? do is play instruments and get a sound that Dre wants. That's like saying Quincy Jones doesn't produce because he doesn't play every instrument in the orchestra he uses.

Really ? I'm saying how can you down ? that put together the composition and produce the track. lex/southside/young chop put the beat together and produce that track and they more relevant than timbo right now .

Here we go again. Just because they make the beat doesn't mean they produced the track. Most beatmakers are songwriters, and most Artist now are producing their own tracks. When you write the melody rhythms bassline etc you are contributing to the WRITING of the song. The person who writes the lyrics is also a writer and is called the top liner. The PRODUCER of the song guides the artist and songwriters with their vision of the song. They may say "no use this sound for that part" or "play this in the key of c" "sing this that way". In HIP HOP and all urban music, the term Producer is thrown around a lot to people who just really are songwriters at the end of the day. Nobody is downing these cats its just the facts.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He right but he played out too so oh well ?
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfzBlxRkIyr9S9PnS_okZ8qdlZoBj4ByuRqen0L3Dn1zH8BTVVxg

• bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Gp_Ywg7Ho

@25:50

What's yall thoughts? He says every song sounds the same.

this comin' from a ? where MOST of his ? sounds the same.

ohhh the irony...................
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfzBlxRkIyr9S9PnS_okZ8qdlZoBj4ByuRqen0L3Dn1zH8BTVVxg

truth hurts huh pimpin'?
    tumblr_m9byzhv2Yw1rqbcss.gif
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with Timbo, the Lex Luger, G5 Kid, Young Shun, etc drum pattern is wack and repetitive as hell.

Funny that I was listening to "? Forgives...." and I thought the two beats back to back that sound alike ("Hold Me Back" and "911") were Lex Luger just like on "Teflon Don". Come to find out this time around Rick Ross got two sound alike Lex Lugers (probably for the low) who made two different beats that sound exactly alike.

I'm against all of these talentless "producers" that get on their laptops and make those imitation beats without any real production skill
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    drum machines are supposed to emulate a human drummer. what most of todays 'hot' producers are doing is the opposite. ? sounds machine made.
    but then again, most of the rappers using the stale ass beats have no substance so its fitting. the problem is the promotion of this ? .
    perfect example of ? production that comes to mind... BMF & mc hammer. two beats that are lackluster and sound the same with the same ol' wack drum programming/sounds. (i no thats gonna ? someone off)
  • nyst8ofmin
    Options
    puff is a producer. he produces the musicians/beat makers and gives them direction.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So i guess ? didn't see Dr. Dre's explanation of the difference between a beatmaker vs producer and a artist vs lyricist on Ice T's THE ART OF RAP documentary.

• juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So i guess ? didn't see Dr. Dre's explanation of the difference between a beatmaker vs producer and a artist vs lyricist on Ice T's THE ART OF RAP documentary.

co sign people stay getting these two mixed up.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanye, puff, dr.dre are producers. ye and dre also beatmakers
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True, there's a difference between a producer and a beatmaker, but Puff doesn't seem like he knows a damn thing about making a beat.

Puff is more like an Executive Producer IMO than a true musical producer. I think music producers (i.e. Dr. Dre, Kanye, Timbaland, Neptunes, Mannie Fresh, etc) should also have some involvement in the creation of the beat, whether its a rum pattern, keyboards, etc.

Puff does none of that and is just an overpaid overseer IMO
  • nyst8ofmin
    Options
    puffs been in the biz for 20 years. give the man some credit.
  • cartelglobetrotter
    Options
    his old ass played out i aint heard no ? from him that went hard in a minute congo drum ass ?
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's right about the standard southern inspired 808s getting played out. Soon many of the southern rappers that use nothing but 808s are gonna be starving when the demand for 808s slow down. Just like how boom Bap rap got played out back in 2004 and the east coast rappers taken a back seat to the southern rappers.

The next trend is sampling video game beats lol
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    He's right about the standard southern inspired 808s getting played out. Soon many of the southern rappers that use nothing but 808s are gonna be starving when the demand for 808s slow down. Just like how boom Bap rap got played out back in 2004 and the east coast rappers taken a back seat to the southern rappers.

Man I wouldn't even be mad at that lol, if that ? was done right like Never Been was
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man I wouldn't even be mad at that lol, if that ? was done right like Never Been was

and Eat Your Vegetables by Childish Gamibno
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here we go again. Just because they make the beat doesn't mean they produced the track. Most beatmakers are songwriters, and most Artist now are producing their own tracks. When you write the melody rhythms bassline etc you are contributing to the WRITING of the song. The person who writes the lyrics is also a writer and is called the top liner. The PRODUCER of the song guides the artist and songwriters with their vision of the song. They may say "no use this sound for that part" or "play this in the key of c" "sing this that way". In HIP HOP and all urban music, the term Producer is thrown around a lot to people who just really are songwriters at the end of the day. Nobody is downing these cats its just the facts.

no doubt

d dot breaks this down perfectly starting at 4:30 (gave kayne some low key ether at the same time)

cats need to hear that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AldWXPna_Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=269s
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Shhh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLZU2wmjAY

^^^uploaded 2 years ago
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i haven't seen the doc yet, you have a youtube link to dre's explanation?