The official Obama/Romney Debate #1 thread.............

Options

Comments

• rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    The bar was so low, there was almost no way Romney wouldn't come off the first round looking good. That being said, Obama knows the difference between winning a battle and winning the war. Romney threw out comments that seemed to deliberately bait Obama to mention the offshore accounts.. or the 47% or any of the easy slams... and I think Romney's handlers gave him plenty of one liners to answer it IF Obama took the bait and he didn't.

The second debate will be more interesting because Romney raised the bar for himself and Obama is smart enough to hold back... let Romney get overly confident.. and then let it fly.

(That being said, I appreciated Obama sticking to facts and I loved a few of his comments: "Are your plans secret because the middle class will benefit too much?" "Light on details.. a trend." "Who thinks the reason Wall Street melted was because of too many regulations and oversight?" And, finally.. I like when Obama relaxes and uses idiomatic expressions like "? you around.") So, yes, Romney looked better than expected but that's not hard to do when the expectations were set SO low. His supporters will hear what they want to hear.. that he has the magical solution to their problems.. even if he offers NO specifics.

Overall Obama deliberately purposely laid off the gloves. There are enough negative ads out and the sole person responsible job to start launching those mike tyson punches IS Joe Biden not the top of the ticket. The key is to appear moderate, calm, and in control. That how you win a war. Plus if President Obama came out swinging in this first debate, he would be labeled an "angry black man" Obama basically played Rope a Dope, he gave a debate up in order to get mitt Romney to puts ALL his cards on table..If President Obama was to scored a knockout during the first debate, Mitt would have time to regroup, to mount a counter attack and two more debates to come back.

100% cosign, I couldn't said it better myself. I was laughing so Hard at the pundits on MSNBC, Fox and CNN all quick to jump on Romney's nuts cause of course the Media wants a close race, can't have Obama winning the race with 5 weeks to go. The fact is this was a Chess Move. Obama knew the more he let Mittens talk the more he would basically dig his own grave. Mitten completely basically turned from Far Right to Liberal in this debate. The Obama team is chopping up Flip/Flop ads as we speak showing Mittens again changing his position. Obama couldn't come out swinging cause like Metal said, don't underestimate "The Angry Black Man" stereotype. Fox News and White America was waiting for Obama to look stress and pressed so they could flip it on him. Instead he was very cool and collected.

This appeals to the middle just like Clinton did. Mittens campaign was a disaster and on it's last leg. Of course he was going to come out swinging. Now Obama got him to say all that ? on tape and he will use it against him. You see if you look at the election map. Obama's path to the Presidency is way easier to get to then Mitt. Obama could actually lost Iowa, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia and Colorado and still win. SMH @ MSNBC and CNN wanting Obama to go FAR LEFT and jump off a cliff. Chris Matthews and Ed were pathetic tonight, only Al Sharpton and Rachel held it down. Fox News will act like Romney is the new ? cause he's had nothing but bad news since the RNC but in the swing states they know the deal. Romney has already been exposed as fake and Obama is just buying time now. Again Chess Move and once the smoke clears over the weekend by Monday, Obama will role out new Ads of Romney playing himself from what he said in the Debate. This Photo says it all. Obama knew Romney was going to come hard but Obama is the President NOW, he can't be all animated and aggressive like Romney was. Plus there's a lot going on in the world. I think Obama handled himself well. All Romney did was change his positions and lie throughout the whole thing:

A4VU69-CIAA1--7.jpg
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C/s rap. With the exception of Al Sharpton, I was disappointed in the MSNBC crew. Especially Ed and Chris. Damn Ed acted like Pres. Obama just lost the election. ? actin like the Pres. should've literally walked across the stage, and slit Romney's neck. He wanted actual BLOOD! Lol!

How is it that Al Sharpton, and ole girl from the Grio got it? I think the rest paid more attention to body languages, rather than what was said. Again, Romney flip flopped and contradicted himself to where you KNOW it's gonna be used against him.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CNN Flash Poll: Romney trounces Obama 67%-25%
    matt- wrote: »
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    There's no positive spin to this, Obama has the opportunity to effectively end this election. It was over, by every statistical measure, and he let Mitt breathe life back into it.

No one's saying to be angry.

I honestly and truly believe that Obama's team bought that Mitt was practicing zingers. It's why he was so calm. i think they were gonna try to let Mitt portray himself desperate and hateful while obama seemed calm.

But Mitt wasn't those things. He was polite, pointed, confident. Obama looked damn near like he either didn't wanna be there or was lost. All the bumbling and stuttering. All those things play into how a debate is perceived. It's more than what you say. Actually, none of it is what you say. If votes were cast based on policy points, elections would cost about 2 million dollars tops.

1.5 million to cover paper and ink to print policy ideas to all american families and half a million to pay for postage.

My verdict: obama played not to lose instead of playing to win.

Go for the ? jugular. When the ? 's on the ropes, you wipe his ass out. I kept counting all Mitt's lies and was like 'WHY ISN'T HE SAYING ANYTHING?!"

But Mitt gave a LOT of fodder for ads, though. ? flip flopped so many times.

but its one thing to just have a bad debate based on your talking points. to say you play it safe. to not take on the offensive.

its another thing to look lost, bewildered, out of character, and mumbling and stuttering through everything he was trying to say even after being coached on exactly what to say. thats what obama did. it won't lose an election, but lets not act like his strategy was to act like a deer in headlights.

First, re-read my post. I said what you said.

Second, don't ever compare Romney to Reagan. Reagan is one of the greatest politicians this country's ever seen.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Romney won because he sounded more confident? FOH! Dude was contradicting himself left and right. Obama won by default, and anyone's who was actually LISTENING could see/hear that. Y'all just watching body language and running with it. Y'all like the coaches that try to boost the wack dude on the team because he hustles lol... ain't nobody falling for that ? .

In brief, the only thing Obama did wrong was appear uninterested in the whole thing, but you can't really fault him for that because he probably sees dude as a joke. Obama was basically power-napping while Romney was making a WWE promo. Then Obama would say what he had to say and fall back asleep on some why I am here ? .

In 1960, everyone who heard the debate on the radio thought Nixon won.

Everyone who watched thought JFK won.

You can't take non-verbal communication out of communication.
    Obama dropped the ball. Plain and simple.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    C/s rap. With the exception of Al Sharpton, I was disappointed in the MSNBC crew. Especially Ed and Chris. Damn Ed acted like Pres. Obama just lost the election. ? actin like the Pres. should've literally walked across the stage, and slit Romney's neck. He wanted actual BLOOD! Lol!

How is it that Al Sharpton, and ole girl from the Grio got it? I think the rest paid more attention to body languages, rather than what was said. Again, Romney flip flopped and contradicted himself to where you KNOW it's gonna be used against him.

Ed and Chris are both FAR LEFT. Yes they wanted Blood. I'm an independent but I do lean more Liberal and I wanted blood too but that's not a smart move with 3 full debates. This is chess not checkers, you don't show your hand in the 1st debate. Obama is winning already so like football he's playing Prevent. Mittens was throwing hail mary's all over the place. Like I said the liberal media jump off a cliff tonight cause Obama didn't murder Mitt. Obama's smarted than that. At least Al and Rachel kept it cool while Chris and Ed lost their damn minds. MSNBC wanted Obama to ? Romney tonight. They felt if he went in hard enough, Romney would of never recovered but that strategy would not work cause Romney would of had 2 more Debates to clean it up. Now with the media jumping on the "Obama didn't look great".

This opens the Door for a comeback for Obama when if you look at it, he won the debate silently. Romney was on some "Hit Em Up" screaming and yellin and Obama was on some "Long Kiss Goodnight, Kick in the Door" subliminal bad boys move in slience ? . He let Romney do the damage. Fact Checkers are about to eat, they already tearing Romney apart. He changed so many times I was laughing. Now he's for student loans and he even agreed with Obamacare without even realizing it (I want what I did for Mass for all states), LOL. Obama did have a lot on his mind. His 20th Anniversary, some middle east drama. But I think Obama was up there like Mittens was beneath him, lol. Was an amazing thing for me to see as a Black Man. He's really living out the Dream. I'm glad he didn't fall for the "Get Loud and Be The Angry Black Man" trap. Fox News was waiting for that bait and they didn't get it. Now people will focus on other things like his body language but the fact is Romney did not have a knockout and that's what he needed to do. The Map favors Obama, all this did is give Romney 1 positive new cycle after a month and a half of horror stories.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ehhhh i think romney won because he pulled a fast one. His team out moved obeezys. All you hear was about them lowering the bar about romney not focusing on this debate, him practicing one liners ect.

So i think obamas team prepared for that. They didnt expect romney to come in and debate seriously like he did. According to fact checker he was spitting facts, obama expected nonsense from romney like his campaign has been so far but far from it.

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's no positive spin to this, Obama has the opportunity to effectively end this election. It was over, by every statistical measure, and he let Mitt breathe life back into it.

I honestly and truly believe that Obama's team bought that Mitt was practicing zingers. It's why he was so calm. i think they were gonna try to let Mitt portray himself desperate and hateful while obama seemed calm.

But Mitt wasn't those things. He was polite, pointed, confident. Obama looked damn near like he either didn't wanna be there or was lost. All the bumbling and stuttering. All those things play into how a debate is perceived. It's more than what you say. Actually, none of it is what you say. If votes were cast based on policy points, elections would cost about 2 million dollars tops.

1.5 million to cover paper and ink to print policy ideas to all american families and half a million to pay for postage.

Go for the ? jugular. When the ? 's on the ropes, you wipe his ass out. I kept counting all Mitt's lies and was like 'WHY ISN'T HE SAYING ANYTHING?!"

but its one thing to just have a bad debate based on your talking points. to say you play it safe. to not take on the offensive.

its another thing to look lost, bewildered, out of character, and mumbling and stuttering through everything he was trying to say even after being coached on exactly what to say. thats what obama did. it won't lose an election, but lets not act like his strategy was to act like a deer in headlights.

Second, don't ever compare Romney to Reagan. Reagan is one of the greatest politicians this country's ever seen.

da same Regan that was a movie star before president?

the non Austrian Arnold Schwarzenegger?
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    IMO

I was totally surprised. Romney came across as A real person and his leadership qualities are great. If the country is still SO concerned with the lingering 'white guilt trip' & they wholeheartedly believe that Obama' policies will work in the long run.....the party is over. I don't like the direction Obama is taking us/America down - BUT those who feel its the right direction out number those who feel its the WRONG direction & of course the underlying race issue will never go away.

IMO - President Obama looked absolutely exhausted & didn't come across well at all (those rumors about his reliance on teleprompters rang true) & Romney's leadership skills were FRONT AND CENTER. President Obama's loyal supporters will never vote against him regardless of how these debates go. It truly has come down to a black/ white thing.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    So Romney won because he sounded more confident? FOH! Dude was contradicting himself left and right. Obama won by default, and anyone's who was actually LISTENING could see/hear that. Y'all just watching body language and running with it. Y'all like the coaches that try to boost the wack dude on the team because he hustles lol... ain't nobody falling for that ? .

In brief, the only thing Obama did wrong was appear uninterested in the whole thing, but you can't really fault him for that because he probably sees dude as a joke. Obama was basically power-napping while Romney was making a WWE promo. Then Obama would say what he had to say and fall back asleep on some why I am here ? .

In 1960, everyone who heard the debate on the radio thought Nixon won.

Everyone who watched thought JFK won.

You can't take non-verbal communication out of communication.
    Obama dropped the ball. Plain and simple.

u basically jus agreed with him...
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MeTaL wrote: »
    The bar was so low, there was almost no way Romney wouldn't come off the first round looking good. That being said, Obama knows the difference between winning a battle and winning the war. Romney threw out comments that seemed to deliberately bait Obama to mention the offshore accounts.. or the 47% or any of the easy slams... and I think Romney's handlers gave him plenty of one liners to answer it IF Obama took the bait and he didn't.

The second debate will be more interesting because Romney raised the bar for himself and Obama is smart enough to hold back... let Romney get overly confident.. and then let it fly.

(That being said, I appreciated Obama sticking to facts and I loved a few of his comments: "Are your plans secret because the middle class will benefit too much?" "Light on details.. a trend." "Who thinks the reason Wall Street melted was because of too many regulations and oversight?" And, finally.. I like when Obama relaxes and uses idiomatic expressions like "? you around.") So, yes, Romney looked better than expected but that's not hard to do when the expectations were set SO low. His supporters will hear what they want to hear.. that he has the magical solution to their problems.. even if he offers NO specifics.

Overall Obama deliberately purposely laid off the gloves. There are enough negative ads out and the sole person responsible job to start launching those mike tyson punches IS Joe Biden not the top of the ticket. The key is to appear moderate, calm, and in control. That how you win a war. Plus if President Obama came out swinging in this first debate, he would be labeled an "angry black man" Obama basically played Rope a Dope, he gave a debate up in order to get mitt Romney to puts ALL his cards on table..If President Obama was to scored a knockout during the first debate, Mitt would have time to regroup, to mount a counter attack and two more debates to come back.

C/S All of this ?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    i only caught a few mins while at the gym ... but in that short time span Romney seemed to be telling his same ol ? lies as usual .... the bit about the 716 billion being cut from medicare which has been exposed time and time again as not impacting the people Romney is pandering too ... the explanation on how he's going to repeal "obamacare" yet has no concrete plan as to what he's going to replace it with ..."oh just let the states handle it" hasn't that been tried already and failed? same thing for his tax proposal ... ? can't admit its going to raise the deficit and cost the average person more dough ... so on and so on... then when he gets pressed on the ? he says some nonsense about having a bunch of options on the table but wont say which one he's going to go with ... ? please ...i know deflection when i see it...

.. the ? that gets me tho is how the media dosent't call the ? out .... they're so caught up in the aesthetics of how Romney and President Obama are clashing with each other and how that drama filled television could potentially boost ratings that they skip over the actual critical analysis of both sides thats needed ..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No one said he lost the election tonight. He just lost this debate.

according to the Conservatives and Ring Wing tea bagger he did
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »

I think all Obama supporters are disappointed at his performance last night. I don't think it's enough though, to change their vote yet.

Gotta see what happen's next... and Obama's camp not addressing ? realistically is not good look.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bidden is the muscle, so they aint gonna panick
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both candidates are going to play to the concerns of the people by saying what they feel the people WANT to hear.And Romney did a better job at this. Obama brought up the same old tired stories about his grandmother. Its a war of words and nothing more. It is a spectacle and Americans appear to be suckered in by it as usual. Never mind the fact that both candidates are identical. It seems all we care about is a nice smile and smooth words. Were like ? getting pimped.
  • a.mann
    edited October 2012
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    a.mann wrote: »

I think all Obama supporters are disappointed at his performance last night. I don't think it's enough though, to change their vote yet.

Gotta see what happen's next... and Obama's camp not addressing ? realistically is not good look.

only because Obama over estimate the common sense factor of the American people

he thinking people want to see him lay out a plan of specific policies and legislation

when they really wanted to see who can one up the other in the ? talking department.

and even when it comes back that Romney lied and contradicted what he previously stated on most of the issues

some will still claim he "won" the debate because he....he....what did he do to win?

what's the purpose of a debate, oh yeah, he sounded more convincing.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    [img]https://sphotos-b.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.395.395/p403x403/527337_4616499619846_2048857150_n.jpg[/img]
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Both candidates are going to play to the concerns of the people by saying what they feel the people WANT to hear.And Romney did a better job at this. Obama brought up the same old tired stories about his grandmother. Its a war of words and nothing more. It is a spectacle and Americans appear to be suckered in by it as usual. Never mind the fact that both candidates are identical. It seems all we care about is a nice smile and smooth words. Were like ? getting pimped.

da ? loves his grandma and she aint get 2 see him do da single biggest thing in our history... how is dat old n tired... ?

u must not give a ? about yo fam..
  • Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where are all my fiscal conservatives????
  • blackrain
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    LOL at the Flag for Abuse....Biden in the cut, its a scary sight

Change that ? to Bert and Ernie...you don't just threaten Big Bird and expect to get away with it
  • blackrain
    Options
    http://thehill.com/blogs/twitter-room/other-news/260207-kitchenaid-apologizes-for-anti-obama-tweet-error-
    KitchenAid is known for their mixers but early on Thursday, the home appliance brand was forced to apologize for a mix-up by an employee who sent an anti-President Obama tweet from the official account.

The tweet read, "Obamas gma even knew it was going 2 b bad! 'She died 3 days b4 he became president."
    Obama referenced his grandmother during Wednesday night's presidential debate while discussing his plans for Medicare and Social Security.

The tweet has since been deleted from the account, and the brand later tweeted out a multi-tweet apology. Cynthia Soledad, KitchenAid's senior director of marketing, used Twitter to contact several media outlets that had noticed the tweet.

Soledad told CNN the tweet was mistakenly posted to the official account by a member of the brand's Twitter management team.

"The tasteless joke in no way represents our values at KitchenAid, and that person won't be tweeting for us anymore," she said. "I am deeply sorry to President Obama, his family, and the Twitter community for this careless error."
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

nobody compared him to raegan. if you read the chart you'd see how a politician can get a bump in the polls AFTER winning debates. its not a comparison of politicians, its simply showing that this COULD be significant if all the debates are like this one.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't watch the debates, but from everything I've read and heard this morning I keep getting the same impression......Romney was talking loud and not saying nothing?
  • a.mann
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    If you're talking about energy, eye contact, and aggression, you'll think that Romney won the debate. However, if you do your fact checking and what his campaign is about, you'll see that during the debate he lied in a few points just to win. So while he had a great testimony, he just hung himself for perjury.

well said
    but the right wing conservatives and Obama naysayers will not be inconvenienced by this
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't know this topic existed, I'll just quote myself from the SL thread:
    jono wrote: »
    Romney talking does more for the Obama campaign than Obama talking to be honest.

Romney won because of what Obama didn't do. He had a ton of stuff to use but he didn't, Obama voters have been riding him on not throwing the house at Romney about comments he made but I think he was just letting Romney talk himself into positions he wouldn't be able to maintain later. Obama drew Romney more into the middle and away from the extreme positions he was holding before, you will see people notice that.

I agree Romney won the debate, but it seemed really rope a dope to me. Romney did successfully draw Obama into a conversation the majority of the watchers wouldn't understand but now Romney is on record as being a bipartisan centrist righty as opposed to the extremist he's been trying to portray.

On the surface Obama came to debate, he also had gotten used to those town hall meetings where he stand still and pontificate. Romney came to argue, in a genuine sense, he was on the attack all night and full of vigor. On the surface Romney looks like a winner but the guy who gets loud and shows the most energy isn't always right.

I may be wrong but Obama & Co. needed Romney to do more talking so they could have more ammunition later, he was trying to draw some specifics out of Romney and tie him down to one set of plans and ideas. Romney is proving to be very elusive however.