only time i hear about j cole, whiz k, royce, glocc 40 and others is on here

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    American Loo is saying it as if it was a bad thing. The internet is a great place for rappers to get their music out especially those that get no burn on radio or BET and MTV.
  • Five
    Five Members Posts: 38
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I live in Houston, the fifth biggest radio market in the US.

I live in ny.

/thread
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Five wrote: »
    I live in ny.

/thread

so did i, who gives a ?
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    People are underestimating how powerful the internet is.....true, internet fans are more likely to download than buy, but it's a larger market than the local scene. You can build a pretty strong fanbase over the net fatser than you can locally, and you can do it yourself. These people may not buy your albums, but they'll come to your shows. Besides, people act like it's only internet fans who download music.....EVERYBODY does that ? nowadays. Rappers with Top 10 singles can't even go gold, they selling just about the same amount as these "internet" rappers like Wale, Slaughterhouse, etc.....

You can't become a millionaire being an internet rapper, but you can make a decent living. The days caking off of a multiplatinum album are gone anyway. You have to treat hip hop like a job now. If ? wanna make money, they gonna have to grind and rely on touring. Free mixtapes are pretty much advertisement for your shows now. I think it's smarter to build a loyal internet following who will support you and come to your shows 5 years from now (The Freshman Class) than to be a flash in the pan who relies on fickle ass radio listeners who jump off the bandwagon when someone else "hotter" than you comes along and won't give 3 ? , 2 ? and a damn about you 5 years from now (Young Money)
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    American Loo is saying it as if it was a bad thing. The internet is a great place for rappers to get their music out especially those that get no burn on radio or BET and MTV.

no its not a bad thing at all. its only bad when these artists gain a large following on the net and their fans dont support them when its time to cop the album

let the internet tell it, joe buddens should be a multi platinum star
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you live in the NY area and you ? with HOT 97 and 105... can i ask why? For the most part they"ll play the same 14 songs all got dam day... Even the old school at noon has gotten wack as ? ....
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They are making money probably 5,000 a show.
  • boom
    boom Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dawg if you've never heard of Wiz Khalifa outside of here. You haven't left your home.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited April 2010
    Options
    boom wrote: »
    dawg if you've never heard of Wiz Khalifa outside of here. You haven't left your home.

That ? is ass compared to Joell or Buddens.He aint gonna be nothing in 2 years.Mark my words.He's weak on the lyrics.
  • deeroc22
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I will catch flack for this but ive never heard of Gucci Mane outside the internt or radio.... never heard one person in "real life" speak of him or his music.. now i know he's established and has his fans, shows, albums and what not... but no one i know has ever said yo listen to that new gucci song or that new gucci album droppin in 2 weeks.. my point is where else do you expect to hear about theses guys??
  • boom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That ? is ass compared to Joell or Buddens.He aint gonna be nothing in 2 years.Mark my words.He's weak on the lyrics.

Okay........
  • The Smooth One
    The Smooth One Members Posts: 725
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I bought Royce's ? . Death Is Certain, Independent's Day, Street Hop. I don't care if he's mentioned here or elsewhere. I put people up on game about dude since Build & Destroy. And he's only gotten better. He's not mentioned? *shrug*... he's still toward the top of my list.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited April 2010
    Options
    boom wrote: »
    Okay........

My ? you gotta be on his street team or your hip hop horizon is limited because this ? wiz is not even nice.Or average.I don't debate about lyrics because I listen to Jay electronica and joell Ortiz and AZ raekwon.I can't even debate with ya ? that listen to wiz and nips or w.e his name is.These ? are weak.
  • boom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    My ? you gotta be on his street team or your hip hop horizon is limited because this ? wiz is not even nice.Or average.I don't debate about lyrics because I listen to Jay electronica and joell Ortiz and AZ raekwon.I can't even debate with ya ? that listen to wiz and nips or w.e his name is.These ? are weak.

Okay ........
  • J. Rob
    edited April 2010
    Options

Wiz an Nipsey are slightly above average IMO

To some of us, lyrics aren't the only thing that matters. I listen to all four of the artist you mentioned, but I also listen to Wiz, Nipsey, Currensy, and other rappers who aren't all that great lyrically. They all have attributes that appeal to me. I like Jay Elect, Joell, Raekwon, and AZ for their lyricism....I like Wiz's charisma and Currensy's laid back style...I like Nipsey's delivery and content (he speaks on street ? without glorifying it)....I like Wale and J. Cole for having a little bit of everything. I listen to all kind of hip hop as long as it isn't overtly wack
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wiz had a video on demand a few years bacc but i never heard of dude since then except here
    only hear about Royce here too
    hell i didnt know he did the original Renegades
    30 Glocc succs and everytime you mention him Wayne go get mentioned so dude lost
    btw any so called Hip Hop fan whobelieves Hip Hop is dead should listen to something else
    Rocc is so much better anyway
  • deeroc22
    edited April 2010
    Options
    deeroc22 wrote: »
    i will catch flack for this but ive never heard of gucci mane outside the internt or radio.... Never heard one person in "real life" speak of him or his music.. Now i know he's established and has his fans, shows, albums and what not... But no one i know has ever said yo listen to that new gucci song or that new gucci album droppin in 2 weeks.. My point is where else do you expect to hear about theses guys??

• boom
    edited April 2010
    Options
    J. Rob wrote: »
    Wiz an Nipsey are slightly above average IMO

To some of us, lyrics aren't the only thing that matters. I listen to all four of the artist you mentioned, but I also listen to Wiz, Nipsey, Currensy, and other rappers who aren't all that great lyrically. They all have attributes that appeal to me. I like Jay Elect, Joell, Raekwon, and AZ for their lyricism....I like Wiz's charisma and Currensy's laid back style...I like Nipsey's delivery and content (he speaks on street ? without glorifying it)....I like Wale and J. Cole for having a little bit of everything. I listen to all kind of hip hop as long as it isn't overtly wack

i can't even entertain that ? . he only listens to rappers for lyrics. and that's cool. but you don't have to have lyrics in order to make good lyrics. and with that said, wiz still has lyrics. just in a diff. style
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    in 6 months yall be talkin bout how wack this ? wiz is and how he fell off and how he used to be nice.
  • J. Rob
    edited April 2010
    Options
    in 6 months yall be talkin bout how wack this ? wiz is and how he fell off and how he used to be nice.

3 years ago Wiz was a Pittsburgh ? trying to sound like he was from New York. That's why underground fans liked him. His main focus was lyrics....but now he relies more on charisma and weed lol.....so underground fans think he fell off
  • J. Rob
    edited April 2010
    Options

3 years ago Wiz was a Pittsburgh ? trying to sound like he was from New York. That's why underground fans liked him. His main focus was lyrics....but now he relies more on charisma and weed lol
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    3 years ago Wiz was a Pittsburgh ? trying to sound like he was from New York. That's why underground fans liked him. His main focus was lyrics....but now he relies more on charisma and weed lol

i don't have a problem wit dude i was knowin about him last summer, i just don't look at none of these dudes as THEE top ? , it is what it is, rappers come and go, i just appreciate good music.

my point is how finnicky net fans can be, they hype up a dude when he's a up and commer, then whenever he generates the success they think he deserves or whatever they start raggin on how wack he is now and how he used to be this or that.

no hate.
  • American Loo VII 3D
    edited April 2010
    Options
    net fans love to see a ? struggle, once he's a success they wanna tear him apart
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Yeah, people don't realize he can do all that "traditional" ? , but he's grown out of it. To me, ? who purposely use all the big words and grimy beats they can just to sound "lyrical" are just as wack as ? who make a bunch of watered down cookie cutter ? just to get on the radio.
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i aint talkin down on him or sayin he should spit like cannibis, i'm sayin yall will be on his ? today, and hating him tommorow.