The Official Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The crazy thing is.. everybody in TDE can release albums that could garnish similar acclaim.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im interested to see what people say about this album in about 2 months when the shiny new toy effect is gone.

If you wanna look at it that way, this is like a PS3. It can be used repeatedly, whereas most of this other ? been toys from happy meals: disposable as ? ! Not to sound biased, but ? still hold Section.80 in very high regard and it's well over a year old.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its a solid debut/studio album, clean production and great concepts especially the skits with his fam but .. I enjoyed Control System more ..
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    im interested to see what people say about this album in about 2 months when the shiny new toy effect is gone.

If you wanna look at it that way, this is like a PS3. It can be used repeatedly, whereas most of this other ? been toys from happy meals: disposable as ? ! Not to sound biased, but ? still hold Section.80 in very high regard and it's well over a year old.

section 80 is a very diff piece of work compared to gkmc.

scroll thru this thread, the general consensus is that the skits carry this entire album. no one is even mentioning dudes lyrics or hooks...yet folks are so quick to call the project "classic". for kendrick to be such a lyricist, i found it weird that a majority of what i heard lyrically seemed to fade into the background...when compared to section 80 where what he was saying was more poignant and worthy of attention. this time around, the focus seemed to be flow over lyrics and for a story telling album, i dunno if thats the best approach.

no ones mentioning the cringe-worthy funny voice ? on the hooks either..

The "alien-voice" a la Andre 3stacks has been mention once or twice. most probably don't mind. It usta annoy me when Dre dkd it back in tha early 2000s, but eventually I didn't mind cuz he brought something new to the game, albiet weird. As far as the lyricism, it's definitely there. What were you looking for, an album full of Rigamortis'? We both know that wouldn't work and that the album would've most likely fell on it's face a la Slaughterhouse's last effort. The message rang clear and he's just as critical of these recent generations as he was on S.80. Not only did he grow on this album, he detailed that same & new growth with vivid imagery. Considering this is a concept album, the skits were necessary to tie in/make transitions to the story. Ultimately I think is will stand the test of time to most.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    How bout just make mixtapes like mixtapes were always made? ? dont have to be full of all brand new original music. Drop some 16s over a popular beat, drop a few original songs, "freestyles" with your homies and keep it moving. Give the people something to look forward to instead of having them satisfied with some ? u aint getting paid off of.

people dont want that any more.

Truth, they might make these mixtapes for free, but it's a bit of a stretch to say they're not getting paid. All those project do is give artist material to perform at shows. We all know that's where the money is.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

section 80 is a very diff piece of work compared to gkmc.

scroll thru this thread, the general consensus is that the skits carry this entire album. no one is even mentioning dudes lyrics or hooks...yet folks are so quick to call the project "classic". for kendrick to be such a lyricist, i found it weird that a majority of what i heard lyrically seemed to fade into the background...when compared to section 80 where what he was saying was more poignant and worthy of attention. this time around, the focus seemed to be flow over lyrics and for a story telling album, i dunno if thats the best approach.

no ones mentioning the cringe-worthy funny voice ? on the hooks either. ? be sounding like the homie with the stapler from office space and ? .

? is worse than Jays whisper and Ems accents
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always liked the robotic/alien effect he uses. It seems to add depth to his voice. Like multiple people are rapping at once.

I must be in the minority.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are the stand out tracks on the album?

@anyone
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmaooo yo that voice takes away from how hot that verse was. Especially how he jumps on the track. Idk why he does that. He shoulda came in the same way he did on his verse on RED.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, beginning to get the concept now.

After 5 listens, this album's growing quickly on me. It's difficult to deduce on earlier listens and it's definitely NOT a "Listen to this track on Kendrick's album, isn't it amazing?" Because the answer there would be 'yeah, this track shows an incredibly gifted emcee, but I'm unsure as to what all the fuss is about (in relation to the album).'

Reason being, as a huge fan of Kendrick Lamar (like many others), I've come to know his artistry and more importantly, his background. On first listen, it sounds as though Kendrick has lost all the progress that he has made since his k.dot days because he's speaking from an ignorant point of view. We're not hearing Kendrick as he is now, he's telling us his story from a first person perspective and because of that we have to look past the ignorance to understand the message. That alone, makes this album mind-boggling and it's ? genius of him to do this. It makes me as a listener want to become more ignorant because I want to live my childhood through this album, rather than listening to my usual, more mature, hip hop.

It's impossible to give a consensus to this album, until it is fully digested. I don't think he reaches some of the highs he had on Section. 80 with some tracks, where he completely shone on the mic. But this is a more carefully waded piece of material, despite his skills being of an extreme level, which we've come to expect.

It's only now that I'd put the album above 3.5/5. It's now at a 4.25/5 level in my judgements, and it could rise further once I begin to see the story… this is a motion movie picture.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    @greenwood1921, you gotta post in tha reason more often bruh. This ? bn droppin straight knowledge

You should check out the Cheap Seats where he makes posters catch feelings on the regular lol.
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Gave this a listen last night and it's nothin put fire , i only skipped one track

and i wasn't even a Kendrick fan like that , but that Album is heat
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album is getting the AOTY nod from Pitchfork.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    great album....lol some ? just look for ? to complain about no matter how big or small the gripe is aka nitpicking ...."it doesnt give me this feeling or this annoys me" blah blah blah....just enjoy it....its quality....quality albums are a rarity now days....
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    last time i checked i was the man in these streets
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    great album....lol some ? just look for ? to complain about no matter how big or small the gripe is aka nitpicking ...."it doesnt give me this feeling or this annoys me" blah blah blah....just enjoy it....its quality....quality albums are a rarity now days....

Thank you. Some ? wouldn't be satisfied if ? himself spit a verse on here. Always tryna compare and contrast and ? . Enjoy tha music.

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    album is ok....

neva really understood the hype around dude though. pharrell not to long ago even compared dude to bob dylan. wtf? lol

even though he got bars and he's bringing more creativity to hiphop, i just can't get into his music like that....
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is a discussion thread, patna. you're gonna get both sides of the coin whether it hurts your feelings or not.

lol right on bro I get it....trust me, I know its all subjective so it is what it is....
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    m.A.A.d city is my favorite so far. im probably gonna chop it up though, the first part before the beat switches goes the hardest.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    9.5 from pitchfork
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17253-good-kid-maad-city/
    Lamar has subtitled the record "A Short Film by Kendrick Lamar", and the comparison rings true: You could take the album's outline and build a set for a three-act play. It opens on a 17-year-old Kendrick "with nothing but ? stuck on my mental," driving his mother's van to see a girl named Sherane. As his voice darts and halts in a rhythm that mimics his over-eager commute, Lamar explores the furtiveness of young ? : "It's deep-rooted, the music of being young and dumb," he raps. The song is interrupted by the first of several voice mail recordings that delineate the album's structure: Kendrick's mother, rambling into his phone and pleading for him to return her car. These voicemails appear through the record, reinforcing that good kid, m.A.A.d city is partly a love letter to the grounding power of family. In this album's world, family and faith are not abstract concepts: They are the fraying tethers holding Lamar back from the chasm of gang violence that threatens to consume him.

"Compton" is the victory lap, the coronation. Coming after the stunning 12-minute denouement "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst", in which Lamar delivers a verse from a peripheral character that is the album's most dazzling stroke of empathy, it can't help but be a small deflation. The moment of arrival in any artist's story is always less interesting than their journey, and there's a disconnect in hearing Lamar and Dre stunt over Just Blaze's blaring orchestral-soul beat. Dre's music is part of the landscape that Kendrick grew up in but his actual appearance has a certain Truman Show feel to it.
    But the true ending of good kid, m.A.A.d. city takes place at the end of the previous song, "Real", which represents the spiritual victory that the album's story has thrashed its way towards. Finally grasping that "none of that ? "-- money, power, respect, loving your block-- "make me real," Lamar embraces what does, as his parents put the album's central concerns to bed: "Any ? can ? a man," his father admonishes. "That don't make you a real ? . Real is responsibility. Real is taking care of your ? family." And his mother: "If I don't hear from you by tomorrow, I hope you come back and learn from your mistakes. Come back a man... Tell your story to these black and brown kids in Compton... When you do make it, give back with your words of encouragement. And that's the best way to give back to your city. And I love you, Kendrick."

yeah i dont give a ? if this just dropped yesterday, I dont need no time to recognize an amazing album. this ? is a classic and album of the year, ? it he deserves a grammy for this also.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People been complaining about dude voice since OD (he sounds like Elmer Fudd!!!) .... I think it adds character ... I certainly don't listen to it and say damnmmmmmm son son the metaphor was crazy that similie was ill that introspective articulation was so insightful ...buttttt ? that voice made me embarrassed! ...it's not really that big of a deal ...in his case it just sounds like some nit picking ? ...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If ? can tolerate RZA's, Freeway, ODB, AZ,etc voice then they can tolerate Kendricks.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    last time i checked i was the man in these streets

Jeezy won
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I don't think its nitpicking at all. That ? is annoying sometimes the same way Em can be annoying with his voice.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    If ? can tolerate RZA's, Freeway, ODB, AZ,etc voice then they can tolerate Kendricks.

You got a point there...
This discussion has been closed.