The Official Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    songs i didnt like at first, now i got on repeat.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    4 MICS. Very solid mainstream debut. Slightly better than "Section .80" but I'd give both 4 MICS. I enjoyed Kendrick's creativity. I only felt there were about 3 or 4 songs I wasn't feeling. I liked the laid back vibe. I liked the skits cause it make me feel like it was an album. I also liked the fact the album doesn't sound formula driven. Sadly Drake, Sean and J cole were victims to formulas. I think J cole's LP didn't have as many formulas as Sean or Drake's but they were still there. Kendrick though LP doesn't sound like he's trying to appeal to a certain rap fan per se as much as he's just giving you himself. At times it feels like he's channeling 3 Stacks, the album feels like a unreleased Outkast LP at times. I think the production is solid. I like the way they flipped and payed homage to my girl Janet Jackson on that "Poetic Justice" song. Hopefully people are going back and listening to "Anytime, Anyplace" one of the sexiest songs in history (Got plenty to that track in high school) But I could of done without another "Crying about Women" verse from Drake. His voice does take some time to get use to but overall Again the songs have that chill out vibe and I like that. The Production and sequencing was very good by Dre and company.

As for the great reviews it's getting, I don't see nothing wrong with that. But I can't help but feel like Lupe 6 years ago, Kendrick album praise is more a reflection of the state of the rap. Rap just isn't good right now that it's a lot easier for Kendrick to shine through. When I heard, "? , Ready To Die, or ILLmatic or even It's dark and hot as hell". There was something about those debut that you just knew something Legendary just happen. I didn't get that from this but what I got was a very talented guy giving us "HIM" and as a rap fan that's all I could ask for. I talked to a friend and he was telling me that Kendrick is being forced on the public by the interscope machine. I told him that was going to happen cause of the Dre association but it's not like they really promoted the LP that well to me. It's not like the 1st single is all over the radio like that. If anything I think this album is being pushed more from Kendrick's underground love he got from "Section .80".

Again I could see some people not buying the hype but the fact is Kendrick is a bright light in the game right now. So it's the best debut rap album since "Food and Liquor" and he's clearly ahead of the class of this generation class to me. Drake has the most success but his albums aren't the best, "Take Care" was a step in the right direction. Cole is very talented but he's kinda low key and doesn't want to take the forfront. Big Sean is OK but I don't feel he can really carry songs. Kendrick proved he can carry an album so I was impressed. Classic? again like Kendrick said and I agree, it takes 5 to 10 years. Let me know if I'm listening to "Good Kid, Maad City" by 2020 and then I'll tell you it's a Classic. But I did enjoy the album. I'm about 7 years older than Kendrick, I'm an 80's baby, he's more of a 90's baby but I could relate to the themes he put forward.

220px-KendrickGKMC.jpg
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    Damn he definitely doing more than J Cole first week now

Cole sold 218,000 his first week, somebody gonna be mad lol

But on some real ? , if somebody was to tell me he wouldd outsell Cole, I wouldnt belive them, good ? on his part
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @BAZOOKA- AINT NO FEELINGS HERE! THATS WHY I STARTED THE SENTENCE WITH "LMFAO" WHICH MEANS THAT IM LAUGHIN AT UR NONSENSE. AND I DID THINK U WERE WRONG THATS WHY I HAD TO CORRECT U, AND IM TELLING U THAT U CANT SPEAK ON IT CUZ OBVIOUSLY U DONT KNOW ? BOUT OUR LINGO OR OUR LIFESTYLE SO THEREFORE DONT SPEAK ON SUMTHIN THAT U DONT KNOW ? ABOUT...
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont tell me what i can or cannot speak on. lets just agree to disagree. im not with all that tough talk internet thug ? . im from NY and it just sounded mad ? thats all.
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL! AINT NOBODY ACTIN TOUGH ON NO INTERNET! I JUST SIMPLY HAD TO PUT U IN UR PLACE 1 FOR TRYIN TO TALK SLICK ABOUT THE LEFT COAST, AND 2 I HAD TO LET U KNOW WHAT HE MEANT. SO TAKE IT AS A SLAP IN THE HAND AND KEEP IT MOVIN YOUNGIN BEFORE U GET URSELF INTO MORE TROUBLE. SMH KIDS NOW A DAYS....
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ross dropped 218k out tha gate, Kendrick is on track to push as much as 245k. Guess who lauce.... hahahaha...
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    Ross dropped 218k out tha gate, Kendrick is on track to push as much as 245k. Guess who lauce.... hahahaha...
    lol kendrick could've sold kreayshawn numbers and I still would've called it a win over ross based on quality alone
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not the guy who featured Kendrick on the intro to his last compilation album...And Kendrick wasn't een on his label...No way that guy lost here...
  • gemini86
    Options
    LOL! AINT NOBODY ACTIN TOUGH ON NO INTERNET! I JUST SIMPLY HAD TO PUT U IN UR PLACE 1 FOR TRYIN TO TALK SLICK ABOUT THE LEFT COAST, AND 2 I HAD TO LET U KNOW WHAT HE MEANT. SO TAKE IT AS A SLAP IN THE HAND AND KEEP IT MOVIN YOUNGIN BEFORE U GET URSELF INTO MORE TROUBLE. SMH KIDS NOW A DAYS....

so ? dont suck ? for cheeseburgers or directions to get somewhere in cali?
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    bazooka wrote: »

Crackheads do that ? everywhere, ? ...
  • gemini86
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »

sound like u had a first hand experience in every region lmao
  • A1000MILES
    Options

sound like u had a first hand experience in every region lmao

Naw, I'm just readin this ? exchange you and dude havin...You were wrong, my guy...Let that ? be...
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options

Not the guy who featured Kendrick on the intro to his last compilation album...And Kendrick wasn't een on his label...No way that guy lost here...

Bruh, that had to be the end of his wins, cuz everything involving that pig since has bn a certified L. I take that back, Puttin him on power circle was a loss as well cuz kendrick bodied everyone on that song
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im just hoping for a Kendrick/Lloyd Banks collab.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are people hitting me up who weren't even K Dot fans like that:

1ikk6w.png

6sru5u.png

dqji45.png

Still haven't heard the album. Smh.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    I think lady Gaga was supposed to be on ? dont ? my vibe....

I'm pretty sure they had an actual song together called "Partynaseus" that was scrapped because it didn't fit the album..I don't think she was ever apart of don't ? my vibe

ahh I had to go back and listen to what he said on that interview he did with hot 97 yesterday.....you're right...at the end of that song the female vocals seemed like something she would do.....
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    There are people hitting me up who weren't even K Dot fans like that:

1ikk6w.png

6sru5u.png

dqji45.png

Still haven't heard the album. Smh.

Will you just ? download it already!?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    225k?

? brilliant ..
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    ? is too intense in school right now for me to even leave campus. I like buying albums and ripping the packaging off, reading through the credits and artwork, playing it in my car. The whole experience. I would rather wait and do it the right way.

Tomorrow is the day my brethren.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quick question which sounds better the high version of money trees or the low version?
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dis Buttuh textin the hoes about buying albums my ? put on some Nas quotes to your ? in the phone and they well ask you for threesome tonight!
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    @supergangster I love you brotha. All I gotta do is turn on the video of Nas kissing Nicki and it's game time baby.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    @supergangster I love you brotha. All I gotta do is turn on the video of Nas kissing Nicki and it's game time baby.

tumblr_m4a5webB1H1rpg7sho1_500.gif
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some I notice are pushing articles that this is the "ILLmatic, Ready to Die" of this generation. A little extreme but I do see some things in common with "Ready To Die" more so than "ILLmatic" as far as Kendrick changing voices like Biggie did and having skits and it being a storytelling type of album.
This discussion has been closed.