(VIDEO) Harlem World's Legendary Designer "Dapper Dan" Speaks

Options

Comments

• harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nate D.O. wrote: »
    we started dis get money gangster ? when ? was out west lookin like cholos we was gettin our dapper dan on uptown.

Harlem is in all you ? dna

so says the ? claiming blood...

Im not a blood gangbangin serves no purpose on these streets

Uptown hustle sun up til sundown
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    This was when ? used to be fly, not ? looking all bummy and ? , I don't get it. When you stepped out the crib you was together, sometimes changing clothes, now these ? wear the same ? for days on end

Nah, young cats like wearing different clothes all the time.

Different clothes but not looking fly, I'm talking about just all out damn, that ? clean as hell
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem is the HEAD of every inner city in USA, no need to even debate.

the renaissance, the hustle, the nightspots, fly well put together women, the jazz spots, the flavor, the restaurants, the slang, and swagger.

i've payed close attention to how different areas all over the usa operate thru documentaries, movies, interviews etc. and truth be told the majority of flavor from US inner cities came from HARLEM.

now i'm not talking about this new harlem, i'm talking the dna of harlem from the 50's-early 90's.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know this is gon ruffle some feathers, but it always looks as if BK ? are jealous of Harlem cats, whether thru movies, doc's, interviews, or ? even ryhmes.....

I remember Alpo saying he didn't deal with BK ? because those dudes were robbers up to no good LoL. Them old school BK ? are nothing to play with.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be$T_1 wrote: »
    I know this is gon ruffle some feathers, but it always looks as if BK ? are jealous of Harlem cats, whether thru movies, doc's, interviews, or ? even ryhmes.....

I remember Alpo saying he didn't deal with BK ? because those dudes were robbers up to no good LoL. Them old school BK ? are nothing to play with.
    its a fact, bk ? have always been jealous of harlem even still to this day. the new harlem is still leading the way not musically but still fashion wise. its all about getting that money and giving back in uptown. I mean name another hood where ? is living in million dollar brownstones, owned not rented? harlem is like a ? planet of its own that why we call it harlem world, no need to go out of the borough we have everything right there.
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    Options
    @GalouDaBklynKing what about when ya ? was on ya 30s is the new 20 steez runnin round in them ugly striped shirts

we was the first the ? doin alot of fly ? like ? all the bad spanish ? , designer clothes, foreign luxury & sports cars, we taught every ghetto in the US how to get money.

eastside Taino

taught ? about triccin and snitchin also. ijs

Word, I told one of these Harlem ? on here that a few weeks ago. Harlem ? are known to snitch. They got some good weed tho.

and bk ? known to be jealous ass ? , pull ya skirts back up b. the good weed is in the heights not harlem though.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we started dis get money gangster ? when ? was out west lookin like cholos we was gettin our dapper dan on uptown.

You got to give it to harlem its deeply entrenched and well documented....

But DC been on that ? just as long fam and you should already know that as a harlem cat...
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the renaissance, the hustle, the nightspots, fly well put together women, the jazz spots, the flavor, the restaurants, the slang, and swagger.

i've payed close attention to how different areas all over the usa operate thru documentaries, movies, interviews etc. and truth be told the majority of flavor from US inner cities came from HARLEM.

now i'm not talking about this new harlem, i'm talking the dna of harlem from the 50's-early 90's.

i hear u but that ? is changing....they stop and friskin ? out of harlem and nyc , and urban america period.

and its a shame and it hurts that we are leaves in the wind getting pushed back to the south , but it is what it is

give it 150 years....unless some drastic change/event that shifts ? happens, most blacks will be back in rural south without ? . ? wanna talk about progress..................
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    Options
    dixinormus wrote: »
    @GalouDaBklynKing what about when ya ? was on ya 30s is the new 20 steez runnin round in them ugly striped shirts

we was the first the ? doin alot of fly ? like ? all the bad spanish ? , designer clothes, foreign luxury & sports cars, we taught every ghetto in the US how to get money.

eastside Taino

taught ? about triccin and snitchin also. ijs

Word, I told one of these Harlem ? on here that a few weeks ago. Harlem ? are known to snitch. They got some good weed tho.

and bk ? known to be jealous ass ? , pull ya skirts back up b. the good weed is in the heights not harlem though.

We're not jealous of y'all ? . Ya'll the jealous ones which is why y'all always snitching and backstabbing on each other. Your right tho, the good weed is in the Heights but my connect is from Harlem and he always got that fiyah.

Jealous of who? Brooklyn cats? HELL NO. Harlem is still out here getting it while Brooklyn still looking from the outside whishing they could be us. Harlem run ya bk ? just ask jay and biggie
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    InB4 the Harlem vs. Brooklyn war...
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »

Harlem is in all you ? dna

Yea because we were smart enough not to drop 15 racks on some bootleg Louis Vuitton/Gucci fits that the real designers wouldnt think of producing.
    Stop hating. Most of the country was dressing real square/bummy at this time.

Brooklyn never been jealous of Harlem, it was just grimier. Brooklyn always had charm and was world famous even when ? wasn't happening and now Brooklyn is surging like no other area in the country since Manhattan in the 1800's. There's no hotter place in America than Brooklyn right now.

dixinormus wrote: »

its a fact, bk ? have always been jealous of harlem even still to this day. the new harlem is still leading the way not musically but still fashion wise. its all about getting that money and giving back in uptown. I mean name another hood where ? is living in million dollar brownstones, owned not rented? harlem is like a ? planet of its own that why we call it harlem world, no need to go out of the borough we have everything right there.

P4P Brooklyn is a better Brownstone place than Harlem(Trust me I know). Actually I think Bedstuy alone has more brownstones than Harlem and many of them rival Harlem in quality. Not to mention Park Slop, Crown Heights, Clinton Hills, Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights, etc.

Harlem is still the mecca tho but Brooklyn is greater.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

see the problem with NY cats , they think locally. Where u think pimpin came from ? ? been doin this ? before Harlem, matter fact when u say 50's most NY ? had moved from where ? I'll wait ...It's bigger than ya'll cuz. and to that one ? u do be on that ru ? up in here cuh dont front now ? . We pay respect to Harlem for the Ren and HH movements but thats it. Even ya boy said the ? inthe video ya'll been ran by ITALIANS..remember there was ORDER.

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sooooo basically this is the dude that birthed...

gucci-prom-dress.jpg

And by extension, this...

Louis+Vuitton+House+1.jpg

He's a pioneer of bootleg fashion, but we ain't gonna sit here and act like we don't clown people who wear ? like his all the time.
  • hiphop12345
    Options

see the problem with NY cats , they think locally. Where u think pimpin came from ? ? been doin this ? before Harlem, matter fact when u say 50's most NY ? had moved from where ? I'll wait ...It's bigger than ya'll cuz. and to that one ? u do be on that ru ? up in here cuh dont front now ? . We pay respect to Harlem for the Ren and HH movements but thats it. Even ya boy said the ? inthe video ya'll been ran by ITALIANS..remember there was ORDER.
    For crying out loud a Chicago basketball team was named after Harlem. How else could you think back then? Were people thinking globally in America? Before the mid 80's what other black neighborhood was globally known beside Harlem yet you want to attack it because they letting it be known?

The Italians ran Harlem business because they were white and that's it, Then they got chased out. Also every Black person from Harlem and NYC isn't from the souf so ? that ? (Africa birth it all anyway). Also modern american pimpin started in Harlem but of course the Bay area, Chicago, and Detroit put it down.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dapper Dan always talks real sense, good video...

His clothes wernt fake either, Hes used genuine items, He would cut up REAL Gucci and LV etc and sew it onto high quality leather or what ever material He or the customer wanted to use...

If the big French and Italian companies were clever, they should of let him have A real concession in his store, He would of made them millions... I know LV doesn have concessions except in big places like Harrods etc, but Gucci and the rest do...

I think his son is A rapper now, thats everyones 'new' hustle lol
  • harlem hustla
    Options
    the fact ya gotta compare ya whole burogh to one small neighborhood like harlem shows how weak yall is.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol....yo nothing compares to these arguments Harlem vs Brooklyn arguments live......During a dice game I saw a Bedstuy vs East New York conflict damn near come to blows
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Harlem in its Prime>>>>>>

Harlem in 2012? Nothin but white people. Harlem ain't the same ? look like Mid Town Manhattan. Brooklyn will soon become the new Manhattan since Manhattan is over crowded and crazy expensive.

Only place untouched is the BX and I don't blame them that ? mad ? .
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    the fact ya gotta compare ya whole burogh to one small neighborhood like harlem shows how weak yall is.
    Come on you know it's Harlem vs Black Brooklyn. Nobody is thinking of Midwood when talking about Harlem vs Brooklyn. Also Harlem is huge especially if you combine it with Spanish Harlem.

• harlem hustla
    Options
    Im from spanish harlem its just another name for the eastside.

• hiphop12345
    Options
    Im from spanish harlem its just another name for the eastside.
    Exactly so you know Harlem is a huge neighborhood.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was when ? used to be fly, not ? looking all bummy and ? , I don't get it. When you stepped out the crib you was together, sometimes changing clothes, now these ? wear the same ? for days on end

weed gave dudes a hippie mentality ;)

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? fake tho
    define fake

it's not real
    he takes designer fabrics and puts them on leather coats n ?
    the designer ain't do that
    so it's fake
    it's like buyin some air forces yo ? glued some jordan signs on
    them ain't jordans and these ain't gucci or louis suits
    when the ? has gucci put a ? name on they jackets?

i was thinking the same like damn dude kind of pioneered bootlegging lol ... but i was wondering what prices was he charging dudes .... is it the same swap meet prices we see today ... or was he making the name brand stuff and charging name brand prices ?????