J. Cole - Miss America

Options
1235»

Comments

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Instructions to be cool on the IC when a Cole song drops:
    1. ? Boring (although the song bangs and i was nodding my head)
    2. His Production sucks (but i like gritty beats just like this one)
    3. This isnt single worthy (but its not about girls and money like i said i didnt want it to be)
    4. He has no subject matter (the song has a double meaning that i skipped through)

This guy knows the ic well
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Instructions to be cool on the IC when a Cole song drops:
    1. ? Boring (although the song bangs and i was nodding my head)
    2. His Production sucks (but i like gritty beats just like this one)
    3. This isnt single worthy (but its not about girls and money like i said i didnt want it to be)
    4. He has no subject matter (the song has a double meaning that i skipped through)

Don't forget "Cole Lost, FFOE"
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe if he would've added a bit more to the beat it would've been better. it kind of seems like with a little bit more stuff added it would've really been nice.

Maybe if he collaborated with a few folks outside of his usual circle it could help cultivate a better sound as far as his beat selection goes. The guy got talent and that is clear to see though
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My only issue with him as always been his production, i don't know why these ? thinking they can pull a Kanye, RZA or Dre. Very few productions make good artist and vice versa.

As for J Cole, alot of his beats are very mechanical sounding to me. His beats don't have a smoothness to it like how a premo, dre, just, kanye,etc does and his drums are ehhhh. My ears know what it likes.
  • invincible_334
    invincible_334 Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Options
    The song is dope to me. I think I'm the only person that doesn't have problem with Cole's production.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    His production isn't even that bad imo.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is probably the only beat by cole that i thought was actually boring:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8YSONN5lk

For all the people who say that he's borin, is it his production or him as a rapper?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    J Cole isn't boring imo, it's his production. Listen to him when he is rhyming on Kanye's beats, Just Blaze beats,etc. He sounds lively, it's like Eminem when he rhymes on his own beats compared to Dre beats. It's just different!

To me if you're gonna be a content heavy rapper, your beats have to slap. It's why people say Nas beats suck.

Kendrick has content, but he selected the right production and that's why his album is dope imo.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea most of my homies do think the ? is boring as ? . It;s a combo of both. At times he doens't hold my attention at all and sorta just rambles off topic. Like on Nobody's Perfect. Then you got folks who want metaphors and clever wordplay so to them his style might be boring. He doesn't have the loud 808 sounding beats to go along with that ? . So that adds to it. And let's not forget his personality doesn't help. Seems more laid back and really not out there much. The ? always looks awkward and outta place. ? look outta place in his own music video.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Gooner wrote: »
    and also i can see how swimming pools can be considered commercial...just coz the msg is dark dont mean it cant be commercial...? is a catchy song and we know ? aint listening to nothing but beats n hook

Me and one of my boys was laughing at the idea of people in the club partying to Swimming Pools when it's a song about essentially about not being an alcoholic
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    just listened to everything he dropped this year

How is this ? not by far the best ? to come out recently

edit:did anybody know workout got 40 million views on youtube ?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    The one thing J Cole is missing from his repertoire to make him a complete artist is, he needs to learn how to make bangers.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    just finished to everything he dropped this year

How is this ? not by far the best ? to come out recently

edit:did anybody know workout got 40 million views on youtube ?

Cosign, IMO Cole is still the best of the new crop of artists that's come out since 09
    ? on this board have some unusual hate for J.Cole that I dont even wanna know about
    But I think I know where it comes from

jay-z-laugh.jpg
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a major Cole fan, and I don't ? with his production too tough.. ? be sounding stale sometimes.. only producers that I can think of that are great at making beats from scratch are The Neptunes.. Cole is much better when he samples..
  • M.A.D.E.
    M.A.D.E. Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    "The best out, foolish pride'll make you not admit it
    But if this ? ain't fire ? , why you noddin' with it?
    The hate in your blood can't stop your soul from vibin' with it
    Now you all conflicted cause my flows is wicked"

Seems like Cole was referring to some of you hatin ass ?

• *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, me no likey! I couldn't get pass the :30 second mark.
  • goobs
    goobs Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Im way better then j Cole real live. Homie
  • Jermaine Lamarr Cole
    Options
    Mike Shaw informed me "Miss America" isn't doing to well on Itunes. Please support the single. Cole World!!!! Born Sinner 1/28/13
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope track to me. i'm glad he makes his own beats its better than having the same tired ass sound that's flooding the radio now
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Options
    US Marine aka Captain-Save-A-J

save J Cole, save Jay E & save Jay Z
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The one thing J Cole is missing from his repertoire to make him a complete artist is, he needs to learn how to make bangers.

thats where Zaytoven come in at
  • Bookworm
    Bookworm Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This song goes hard but I don't think it will sell.
  • Jermaine Lamarr Cole
    Jermaine Lamarr Cole Members Posts: 20
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Single isn't doing to well guys. Support that real hip hop. Cole World!!!! Born Sinner 1/28/13