MICHAEL JORDAN 1984-1990 APPRECIATION (THE HOOD CHAMPION before Corporate Michael)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
michaeljordan1985.jpg

The Black Culture always championed a Athlete that looked like us, Talk like us, Dress Liked us, Walk liked us, Listen to same Music like us, Played the Game like us who also was a great player before the Mainstream even accepted them from Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Wilt Chamberlin, CHOCOLATE THUNDER, Oscar Robertson, Eljin Baylor, George Garvin, Dr. J, Jim Brown, Wille Mays ect...

In the 80's Michale Jordan (1984-1990) was the Basketball Player that the hood championed who dressed, looked, played like us....HAD THE SWAG like us, Played above the Rim like us, Lock down Defense liked us, Feared no player and knew he was the best. Michael Jordan was hip-hop..... did i mention he was BLACK like us, The Brother was rocking Gold Chains around his neck, was rocking Nike Dunks.
jordan-1985.jpg

Now some of yall wasn't born or was just born when Michael Jordan was the player that the Black Community Championed...See in 1984 NBA was at a turning point, Dr. J was becoming more corporate friendly instead of the Soul Brother with the Big Afro that was dunking on NBA and doing moves that they never seen with so much grace, flair but with authority. ABA players was getting older and that style of play that had basketball purist calling that style of play by the blacks Jungle Ball, that was dying out.

Michael Jordan: 1985 NBA Slam Dunk Competition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGwZGLuQgU

In 1979 came Larry BirdBird1.jpg, a gift from the white basketball Gods to white america who was longing for a white player to play the game with the style and fundamental they loved to watch and who can talk the talk and play with any black player, and there was the SMILING ? 6a01127953797128a40120a5e48d0c970b-300wi MAGIC JOHNSON who was doing magic tricks with the basketball that was entertaining to the white folks and plus he loved to show them teeths and he wasn't threatening. Corporate Dr. J, Larry Bird and the Brother who did Magic tricks was the face of the NBA.
1986 Playoffs Classic - Michael Jordan vs Boston Celtics "63 points"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMKZIemAWI
yeah we had ZEKE who talked ? , played lock down D and had game and from the hood but there was something missing.

In came a young Michael Jordan who had the game and played like us on the street courts, and the i don't give a ? who you are you going to respect me and I am here muthafuckas swag, who played above the rim131206823255905.jpg with a killer instinct.

The Hood took to Michael Jordan over Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and even though the Old Heads was still claiming Dr. J as the best the young heads and hip-hop generation made Michael Jordan that brother. Chicago Bulls Jacket, Nike Dunks, Jordan Posters and Trading cards was in the hood and this is around 1985-1986.

e0082088_475da7083323f.jpg

1985 POSTERa99ce7ab-c703-47d5-b689-5709266eb5ed.jpg

THIS IS THE YOUNG MIKE before he won HIS FIRST CHIP appreciation thread.

Michael Jordan 1987: Full Slam Dunk Contest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp9JJR0l9Jc

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thread, but are you saying he sold out after winning his first chip?
  • waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

no i didn't say he sold out, i said he went corporate and that's when NBA start molding him in their image so he can be the face of the NBA. the rawness of the Michael Jordan movement became more corporate
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    northside7 wrote: »

no i didn't say he sold out, i said he went corporate and that's when NBA start molding him in their image so he can be the face of the NBA. the rawness of the Michael Jordan movement became more corporate

Zeen..
  • waterproof
    Options
    NBA Slam Dunk Contest 1988. Michael Jordan vs. Dominique Wilkins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EREr6NEuEII
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I don't think he went "Corporate", I'd call it growing up. ? wasn't a young man anymore. Got married, had kids. Time to start thinking long term
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the 80's Michale Jordan (1984-1990) was the Basketball Player that the hood championed who dressed, looked, played like us....HAD THE SWAG like us, Played above the Rim like us, Lock down Defense liked us, Feared no player and knew he was the best. Michael Jordan was hip-hop..... did i mention he was BLACK like us, The Brother was rocking Gold Chains around his neck, was rocking Nike Dunks.

shaq-face-thumb.jpg
  • Matt-
    Options
    i thought that the mentality of the streets was to get money
  • waterproof
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    In the 80's Michale Jordan (1984-1990) was the Basketball Player that the hood championed who dressed, looked, played like us....

so then why did you all dress like him and try to play like him well after 1990 and even a decade after his retirement?

maybe the those born after 1990 so how about you go ask them that question, and MJ style of play that's typical on how brothers play on the blacktop, you ask any ball player they will tell you that.

so michael-jordan-the-shrug.jpg in the words of Flavor Flav I CAN'T DO NOTHING FOR YOU MAN
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Larry Bird in the 80s >>>>>> Jordan. Fact! He only won cause Magic caught the bug and Bird retired, another fact!
  • waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I don't think he went "Corporate", I'd call it growing up. ? wasn't a young man anymore. Got married, had kids. Time to start thinking long term

I expect this from you Stew but you got to let it go bruh, you almost had a point but that point is ? , cheating on your wife, not paying up on your gambling debts is growing up huh.......

Muhamad Ali will say otherwise, Ali was Ali and didnt change for nobody, Isiah Thomas will say other wise, Kobe Bryant will say other wise i can go on an on, SIR CHARLES will say otherwise
  • waterproof
    Options

yo Matt, you really sensitive. streets is about getting money my white friend so what's the point you try to get at and i will love to have a discussion
  • waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Larry Bird in the 80s >>>>>> Jordan. Fact! He only won cause Magic caught the bug and Bird retired, another fact!

wrong Bird had a hard time against the Pistons the time mid-late 80's came, Jordan payed his dues going against the 76er's and Pistons from the 1986-90.

you know as much about basketball as much as you know about football,lol.......
  • Matt-
    Options

yo Matt, you really sensitive. streets is about getting money my white friend so what's the point you try to get at and i will love to have a discussion

i'm just saying, he is just as much a champion of the hood after 1990 than he was before 1990.

• P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mj waited until everyone got old, retired or got AIDS to start winning....not a coincidence.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • waterproof
    Options
    This guy?

michael-jordan-college-dorm-room-1983-umbrella_unc.jpg?w=800

yeah that guy right there MikeSam.jpg
  • waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    mj waited until everyone got old, retired or got AIDS to start winning....not a coincidence.

nobody believe that ? and this coming from a person who was following the bad boys, the same bad boys that was punking out Bird and his Celtics and who was shutting down The Showtime Lakers who Jordan had to go through the in the mid-late 80s every ? year to they got that chip against the Lakers

• waterproof
    edited November 2012
    Options
    5 star thread

Jordan is da Goat he went thru 3 phases in his bulls career young mike,champion prime mike and post retirement fade away seasoned vet 72-10 droppin 55 in the playoffs at age 34 winning mvp at age 35 mj

Most influential and the most transcending nba player ever

word up @Tommybilfiger i'm not a big Jordan fan, I was following teams like The Detroit Pistons Bad Boys and The 76ers team with Dr. J, Mose Malone, Maurice Cheeks and Sir Charles but i aint going to front on Michael Jordan.

and YOUNG MIKE was a beast, i was alive as a youngsta and remember his impact on the game and how the hood was championed MIKE when MIKE wasnt like by the older players in the nba.

half of these guys wasnt even born talking about jordan couldnt get pass the celtics WHEN JORDAN for dolo dropped 60 against 4 hall of famers on the celtics and was pushing the series deep.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He always had corporate influence it only grew as his career progressed.
  • waterproof
    Options
    He always had corporate influence it only grew as his career progressed.

I semi agree with you and i understand what you are saying and i am not disagreeing with you, but i will say that Michael Jordan was always Marketable....but when he came in the league Jordan was known as a cocky kid, a ball hogger, show boater, selfish.....and he only can play Above the Rim they mocked him for rocking gold around the neck you would of thought he was Allen Iverson, they over looked his whole game.

But when NBA start seeing how the Bulls hats and jackets was flying off the shelves and how Jordan was held in the urban community when the mainstream and Nba players was ? on Michael because he was lighting they ? up, then they seen the dollar signs, but didnt want to make the move because they still had Bird and Magic who owned the NBA