Lupe Fiasco '? Bad' - Reactions

Options
AHipHopLovers
AHipHopLovers Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
I watched again Lupe's video ? Bad and I know a lot of people have different reactions to it. Mine is positive. I think it's a needed message that needs to be out there plus a good beat and good flow. I've seen a lot of feminists and others say the song is wrong or what not. I wanted to see what other IC heads thought about it.

I've seen more positive responses than negative ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3m3t_PxiUI

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When the vid came out, a thread was made and the reactions were mostly positive ..

There you go
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options
    Cool. Appreciate it.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe needs to make a video for fruition
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options
    I agree. That would be tight. His content and popularity shakes up the industry and rap stereotypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxGZ8Nk6RhE
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was an okay song with a good message but misguided overall as Lupe often is

The video was a desperate attempt to shock and the lyrics were allot of commentary and criticism with no solution.

I'd like Lupe more if he didn't complain so much. He always wanna talk down about something but never provides any solutions...

And for those who are gonna say "Oh, so you'd rather listen to (insert ? rapper)?" No, Fiasco holds himself to a higher standard so he gets judged on a different scale. I expect more
  • Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I initially liked the song...until i thought about it logically. Who is he trying to reach? Kids? using words like aquiescent? Or is he talking down to ? on some barbarian caveman ? (? bad, woman good is some caveman lingo). Its a Self Righteous smart ? record

Overall i thought it was a cool concept, could have been executed better tho.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't like the song, but...
    Demarco27 wrote: »
    i thought it was a cool concept, could have been executed better tho.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How better could it have been executed?

Any options or ideas?
  • King Lee
    King Lee Members, Writer Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was a cool concept
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options

The video was a desperate attempt to shock and the lyrics were allot of commentary and criticism with no solution.

I'd like Lupe more if he didn't complain so much. He always wanna talk down about something but never provides any solutions...

And for those who are gonna say "Oh, so you'd rather listen to (insert ? rapper)?" No, Fiasco holds himself to a higher standard so he gets judged on a different scale. I expect more

I think he did give solutions in the song. He said women should not call themselves ? and men shouldn't really go for those women. He didn't say it, but yeah men should also stop calling women ? as some kind of standard. But I think he gave a lot of solutions, especially if you include solutions regarding as what not to do. Good record.
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options
    Been a while since I got a co-sign in here :D Ha ha. To the Groupthinking Haters it' all love. :)
  • Demarco27
    Demarco27 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is saying that it couldve been executed better....hating?

Problem wit conscious ? is they preach to the choir. U aint saving lil girls saying words like"aquiesent" lmao
  • s3nterocks
    s3nterocks Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options

Lupe said, as he's said before regarding his music that he isn't trying to tell you how to live your life, but rather point out the ills and wrongs in the world no one seems to talk about. His objective was to get you to talk about, and that as long as that occurred he's good.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people aint always gotta provide solutions for you...thats the problem with the hiphop generation nowadays... the majority of you are to lazy to figure ? out for yourself which is why you are so enamoured with hashtag rapping.

songs like these aren't the answer to a problem.... merely a catalyst to make you think for yourself
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options
    How is saying that it couldve been executed better....hating?

Problem wit conscious ? is they preach to the choir. U aint saving lil girls saying words like"aquiesent" lmao

That hating post wasn't personally directed at you. More of a general thing. Sure it could of been executed better. In fact, since nothing is perfect, pretty much everything can be executed better.

Maybe they preach a lot the choir. But I doubt if it's all the choir. I'm sure new people hear new music everyday. Besides saying acquiescent, doesn't mean all of a sudden a little girl can't understand the whole song or even the basic meaning of the song, or even the chorus for that matter.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I initially liked the song...until i thought about it logically. Who is he trying to reach? Kids? using words like aquiescent? Or is he talking down to ? on some barbarian caveman ? (? bad, woman good is some caveman lingo). Its a Self Righteous smart ? record

That sounds like a cop-out to me. Contrary to what he already said, tthat record was in fact "dumbed down" to help folk understand that whole topic. People can't use that 'holier than thou' ? as an excuse to stop KNOWINGLY ? up the youth out here.

I thought the song was executed pretty good. The fact that the beat was catered to the current popular style of hip-hop today further drove the song into the masses.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    people aint always gotta provide solutions for you...thats the problem with the hiphop generation nowadays... the majority of you are to lazy to figure ? out for yourself which is why you are so enamoured with hashtag rapping.

songs like these aren't the answer to a problem.... merely a catalyst to make you think for yourself

Which has been done over and over again, Lupe is like IC folks, we know the problem so now what? Are you a part of the solution or you just gonna stay in your room and cry about? Lupe always seems to do the latter.

Sure you dont have to provide solutions, but then whats the point? Does he not want change, does he not want people behind him, does he not ultimately want things to get better?

Great leaders dont just point at you, they also point in the direction you should be headed.

Obviously Lupe isnt that
  • AHipHopLovers
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »

Which has been done over and over again, Lupe is like IC folks, we know the problem so now what? Are you a part of the solution or you just gonna stay in your room and cry about? Lupe always seems to do the latter.

Sure you dont have to provide solutions, but then whats the point? Does he not want change, does he not want people behind him, does he not ultimately want things to get better?

Great leaders dont just point at you, they also point in the direction you should be headed.

Obviously Lupe isnt that

Say what? I think he's part of the solution and leading by actions by one, refraining from saying ? . 2nd by putting music and knowledge out there at the risk of not selling records (unlike so many other rappers), making money and being popular. 3rd, by even putting that video out demonstrating many of the problems in hip hop and what we should refrain from doing. It's one thing if he was talking about it and not putting it on records, but he is. In fact, dude even released the track as a single with promotion at the risk of backlash, instead of sticking it in the back of his CD.

He's definitely pointing in the direction we should be headed.