Rolling Stone's Hip Hop Mount Rushmore/Top 50 Songs (Pac, Big, Jay and Em) do you agree???

Options

Comments

• NikeAirMax
    NikeAirMax Members Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas should be on the cover BIG's on btw.

What about Juicy and Big Poppa a lotta people would say they should be in the 50 greatest Hip Hop Songs ever

They both made big impacts as Singles
  • NikeAirMax
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    Had the cover said "50 Greatest MCs Of All Time" then I could see this thread being made. Howmuthafuckinever, it said 50 greatest songs. Outside of "If I Ruled the World", what other commerically accepted song does Nas have that could even be included in a top 50 "OF ALL TIME" list? And trust I'm not dissing Nas...he's my favorite mc. Just speaking the truth. Personally, I would name a lot of his songs that I think are dope as ? , but you aren't going to find many "mainstreamers" that would agree. Plus this is Rolling Stones. #nofuxgivn

Yeah very good point that basically sums it up very well
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Id have to add for 2pac "I aint mad at you". A lot of his great songs werent singles or so widely known.
  • NikeAirMax
    Options
    Id have to add for 2pac "I aint mad at you". A lot of his great songs werent singles or so widely known.

Changes and California love were succesful Songs from him though
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Stan and Loose yourself might be the only redeemable Eminem close to getting on that list.

Nas and Jay has songs like NY State of Mind, One Mic, Dead Presidents, 99 Problems, etc that easily ? on Eminems bubblegum catalog.

I never understood why people hate on Eminem for making "Pop Songs." he was a battle rapper first and "Infinite" was a dope album. "Slim Shady LP" was a classic Hip Hop Album.

Im a fan of all 3 artists but lets be real. All 3 of them made "Bubblegum" tracks to appeal to the mainstream. Get money right? Nas made that "Nasty.... Nas to Esco...to Escobar, Now he.. is Nastradamus" ? with free 3D glasses with a purchase of a Slurpees during that time. Jay-Z made a ? load of bubble gum ? and so did Em. Nas is a perfect example of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" in the rap game.

What separates Em from Jay and Nas is Ems style. Rhyming words that no one would ever think of putting together. Yall need to listen to music with an open mind and stop hatin.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, the covers are to sell magazines. And the commercial buffoons that grace them will do just that. So, it's not a matter of Nas losing, Hip Hop is losing. Because Slick Rick, KRS, Kane, Mos Def, DJ Quick and a slew of MC's who have repped Hip Hop with much more style and grace aren't on these covers either.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Rolling Stone Magazine"
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Had the cover said "50 Greatest MCs Of All Time" then I could see this thread being made. Howmuthafuckinever, it said 50 greatest songs. Outside of "If I Ruled the World", what other commerically accepted song does Nas have that could even be included in a top 50 "OF ALL TIME" list? And trust I'm not dissing Nas...he's my favorite mc. Just speaking the truth. Personally, I would name a lot of his songs that I think are dope as ? , but you aren't going to find many "mainstreamers" that would agree. Plus this is Rolling Stones. #nofuxgivn

If commercial acceptability is being what's used as a criteria, a lot of the old school songs like The Message, Fight the power, etc won't make that list. There is no way you're making a list without those songs making it.

True. Perhaps "commerically accepted" was the wrong description. I just think that there is something about Nas' music that doesn't appeal to a broad base commercially or otherwise. It's like an acquired taste that most overlook when it comes to compiling these types of lists.
  • NikeAirMax
    edited December 2012
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »
    Stan and Loose yourself might be the only redeemable Eminem close to getting on that list.

Nas and Jay has songs like NY State of Mind, One Mic, Dead Presidents, 99 Problems, etc that easily ? on Eminems bubblegum catalog.

I never understood why people hate on Eminem for making "Pop Songs." he was a battle rapper first and "Infinite" was a dope album. "Slim Shady LP" was a classic Hip Hop Album.

Im a fan of all 3 artists but lets be real. All 3 of them made "Bubblegum" tracks to appeal to the mainstream. Get money right? Nas made that "Nasty.... Nas to Esco...to Escobar, Now he.. is Nastradamus" ? with free 3D glasses with a purchase of a Slurpees during that time. Jay-Z made a ? load of bubble gum ? and so did Em. Nas is a perfect example of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" in the rap game.

What separates Em from Jay and Nas is Ems style. Rhyming words that no one would ever think of putting together. Yall need to listen to music with an open mind and stop hatin.

The Eminem Show his best Album and The marshall Mathers LP a classic too

And the thing is his Singles that are succesful in the Pop Chart actually have a real message, real Lyrics, real deep Content in them so he is 1 of the few Artists that makes succesful Hits that actually have real meaning and real dope content but are still huge Hits

Sing For The Moment
    Lose Yourself
    Stan
    Mockingbird
    Beautiful
    The Way I Am
    Not Afraid
    Like Toy Soldiers
    Love The Way You Lie
    Mosh

What other Rapper as many Hits like this with meaning/substance?

These Hits out number the type of Singles like The Real Slim Shady

Jay Z made commercial Singles like Change Clothes, Girls Girls Girls, Hola Hovito, Empire STate Of Mind, Excuse Me Miss etc

What Single with any sort of meaning does he have aside from 99 Problems?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

If commercial acceptability is being what's used as a criteria, a lot of the old school songs like The Message, Fight the power, etc won't make that list. There is no way you're making a list without those songs making it.

True. Perhaps "commerically accepted" was the wrong description. I just think that there is something about Nas' music that doesn't appeal to a broad base commercially or otherwise. It's like an acquired taste that most overlook when it comes to compiling these types of lists.

But "Fight the power" and "The message' are and were commercially successful. Both were big Hip Hop hits when released.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stan is one of the most classic songs of all time
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Wu Tang shouldve got a cover
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usually I would join in on the Nas lost fun, but ? that. Eminem doesn't have no damn 50 greatest Hip-Hop song nor does he deserve to be on the cover over Nas
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Wu Tang shouldve got a cover

There are many deserving MC's. But let's face it the MOST COMMERCIAL are going to get these spots.

• NikeAirMax
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Usually I would join in on the Nas lost fun, but ? that. Eminem doesn't have no damn 50 greatest Hip-Hop song nor does he deserve to be on the cover over Nas

You even just admitted you a troll how sad
  • P. Town
    Options
    NikeAirMax wrote: »

You even just admitted you a troll how sad

Shadyteam either let the whole crew smash or be gone
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Rolling Stone has a built in Elvis, Kenny G, Pat Boone, Justin Timberlake clause. So, Eminem is an automatic lock for anything greatest in Hip Hop.

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i just assumed that the top 4 songs are by these 4 emcees.. so what
  • P. Town
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Rolling Stone has a built in Elvis, Kenny G, Pat Boone, Justin Timberlake clause. So, Eminem is an automatic lock for anything greatest in Hip Hop.

Of course
  • NikeAirMax
    Options

But The Source and XXL have also put Eminem in these type of things they base it of the majority of peoples opinion and you can't argue with 80 million peoples opinion of Em's songs being the best or whatever. You just gotta remember that 80 million is a fan base no other Rap Artist has.

Majority opinion always rules over minority opinion even even the hate for Em is only really on the IC
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But "Fight the power" and "The message' are and were commercially successful. Both were big Hip Hop hits when released.

By commercially successful i mean, gold or platinum. Most rap albums and singles weren't going gold in the 80s like that.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But The Source and XXL have also put Eminem in these type of things they base it of the majority of peoples opinion and you can't argue with 80 million peoples opinion of Em's songs being the best or whatever. You just gotta remember that 80 million is a fan base no other Rap Artist has.

Majority opinion always rules over minority opinion even even the hate for Em is only really on the IC

False, Vibe did a public poll and of course the crackers came out of nowhere like roaches to vote for Eminem. XXL nor The Source has ever called him the greatest, the ? hasn't even been graced with 5 mics from the SOurce.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Ahh.... I know and they aren't any different then Rolling Stone. My opinion would have been the same had been these other media outlets as well. I will argue with however many people I very well please. If, I as a Blackman in America was cut from such a cowardly cloth I would agree with you. But I am not so, I don't give a ? about what the majority says on such matters. Now if 80 Million people said, there was a Lion posted up outside my door ready to tear me apart I think I would use some caution. But a White Boy who happens to be a mediocre talent doing Black Music, selling records and being considered the greatest of anything Hip Hop. Nah, I will pass. It's been done before. See my above post for GREAT examples.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

By commercially successful i mean, gold or platinum. Most rap albums and singles weren't going gold in the 80s like that.

I know what you meant and I agree. But the fact is, those songs are commercially successful (POPULAR) as, many people within Hip Hop and outside of Hip Hop are familiar with them. The message was chosen by the library of congress.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WOW, so a white rapper, who does have talent, sold a lotta records to white people and is on the cover of a magazine owned by a conglomerate of rich white guys. What a ? surprise that is. Never would have seen that ? coming.