who's the greatest power foward of all time?

Options

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan
    Karl Malone
    Sir Charles
    Kevin Garnett
    Bob Pettit
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    Barkley
    Dirk
    K.G.
    Malone
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “What have Larry Johnson do that Karl Malone have not do?”
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    karl malone. ? duncan. that overrated center playing a four position. ? that island ? ..
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan turned a lucky pick (odds wise) into a conrnerstone and philsophy. He & Pop created a formula that changed the way NBA teams pace themselves, run their teams, sign free agents, & approach the season. San Antonio was NOT supposed to be relevant after Robinson. It is not a destination, attraction or hot bed of NBA or homegrown talent.
    The answer is the dude from ? islands who still needs a competent barber
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan
    Sir Charles (distant second)
    Mail man (wouldn't have been ? w/o stockton)

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

i disagree with the Mailman comment. and Pippen ahead of Bird...why?

• Sir Lurkalot
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

i disagree with the Mailman comment. and Pippen ahead of Bird...why?

Malone benefited tremendously from the play-making of stockton, sorta like how stoudamire did with nash... Pip was one of the best, if not thee best defender of all time and was a better scorer than given credit for. He controlled games on both sides of the ball. Bird was a great scorer & had maad heart, but if I had to chose tween the two, I'm takin #33... In red of course
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No contest. Timmy
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.Duncan
    2.McHale
    3.Garnett
    4.Barkley
    5.Malone
    6.Rodman
    7.Dirk

McHale is not getting enough mentions dude was unstoppable on the low block,and we might have to start puttin

Timmay in the GOAT conversation
  • thegreatunknown
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Pippen better than Bird? Nah..I'm a Lakers fan and hate Bird but,Bird was the best SF. 24/10/6 for his career, 3 straight MVP's, Two Finals MVP's and three rings. Pippen was a better defender, couldn't pass like Bird, couldn't shoot or rebound as well either. The only gut who can usurp Bird for best SF is Lebron James.

• blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Pippen better than Bird? Nah..I'm a Lakers fan and hate Bird but,Bird was the best SF. 24/10/6 for his career, 3 straight MVP's, Two Finals MVP's and three rings. Pippen was a better defender, couldn't pass like Bird, couldn't shoot or rebound as well either. The only gut who can usurp Bird for best SF is Lebron James.

C/s Only thing Scottie had on Bird was athleticism, but so did Dominique and almost every other Sf... I would take pip>>>>>>Dr.J overrated ass tho
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Birds career numbers are slightly better but not enough to offset what Pip brought to the game defensively.
    If you're building a team & have to choose between the two, u takin bird?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Malone was the truth back in his prime. Stockton ain't make him, if anything Stockton wouldn't be ? with Malone converting all those assist
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Birds career numbers are slightly better but not enough to offset what Pip brought to the game defensively.

Absolutely...what are you talking about?? Bird was the leader of the Celtics, and a 2 time finals MVP, not to mention one of the most underrated passers of the ball as well. Pippen isnt on Bird's level...your overrating Pippen's defence if you think it overcomes what Bird brings.
  • thegreatunknown
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Slightly better? Let's see...

Scottie Pippen

16.1ppg..18,940 career points
    5.2 apg
    6.4 rpg
    2.0 spg

Awards
    6× NBA champion (1991–1993, 1996–1998)
    7× NBA All-Star (1990, 1992–1997)
    NBA All-Star Game MVP (1994)
    3× All-NBA First Team (1994–1996)
    2× All-NBA Second Team (1992, 1997)
    2× All-NBA Third Team (1993, 1998)
    8× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1992–1999)
    2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1991, 2000)

Larry Bird

24.3 ppg...21,791
    10 rpg
    6.3 ppg
    1.7 spg

Awards
    3× NBA champion (1981, 1984, 1986)
    2× NBA Finals MVP (1984, 1986)
    3× NBA Most Valuable Player (1984–1986)
    12× NBA All-Star (1980–1988, 1990–1992)
    9× All-NBA First Team (1980–1988)
    All-NBA Second Team (1990)
    3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1982–1984)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (1980)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (1980)
    NBA All-Star Game MVP (1982)
    3× Three-point Shootout champion (1986–1988)

Its not even close...The only MVP Pippen has is for the all star game, the only time he was ever the best player on his own team was the year Jordan left and that's the same season that he refused to come in a game because teammate was going to get the final shot. Couldn't get past the Lakers with Portland and was an afterthought the year he played in Houston. Dude was a great player, but I'm not taking him before LBJ, Bird or Dr. J at small forward.
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Scottie Pippen

5.2 apg
    6.4 rpg
    2.0 spg

Awards

Larry Bird

24.3 ppg...21,791
    10 rpg
    6.3 ppg
    1.7 spg

Awards

Its not even close...The only MVP Pippen has is for the all star game, the only time he was ever the best player on his own team was the year Jordan left and that's the same season that he refused to come in a game because teammate was going to get the final shot. Couldn't get past the Lakers with Portland and was an afterthought the year he played in Houston. Dude was a great player, but I'm not taking him before LBJ, Bird or Dr. J at small forward.

+8 ppg
    +4 rpg... not enuff imo, I know numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole truth. wasn't much he could do with no passing barkley & over-the-hill hakeem. of course he ain't gon match individual awards being on the same team as the goat.
    you under rating his defense. he single handedly disrupted opposing offenses, name another non-center who could do that...
  • thegreatunknown
    Options
    Tim Duncan

As for 3s
    Lebron
    Pip
    Bird

Scottie Pippen

5.2 apg
    6.4 rpg
    2.0 spg

Awards

Larry Bird

24.3 ppg...21,791
    10 rpg
    6.3 ppg
    1.7 spg

Awards

+8 ppg
    +4 rpg... not enuff imo, I know numbers don't lie, but they don't tell the whole truth. wasn't much he could do with no passing barkley & over-the-hill hakeem. of course he ain't gon match individual awards being on the same team as the goat.
    you under rating his defense. he single handedly disrupted opposing offenses, name another non-center who could do that...

8 pts per game and four rebounds is pretty significant difference in production. I don't see how you can choose Pippen as the better player when Bird at times was considered to be the best player in the league, thus the three MVP's and Pippen not only was never an MVP, and finished in the top ten of voting only one time. As a far as other non centers who disrupted entire offenses on defense..off the top of my head..Payton, Alvin Robertson, Dumars, Sidney Moncrief, MJ, and Dennis Johnson...By any metric(win shares/PER),awards, per game production, Bird outpaces Pippen. Pippen was a great defender,finisher and complementary wing to MJ on dominate Bulls teams. I can't believe I've just typed all this to argue in favor of Larry Bird..smh
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bird >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every small forward not named Lebron(and Lebron still hasn't built the resume to pass Bird, YET). ? love to hate Bird cause he was a Celtic and 'The Great White Hype' even though he never gave a ? about ? but winning.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The PF pecking order goes:

Duncan
    Barkley/Malone - toss-up
    McHale
    KG
    Dirk

(If Dirk or KG get another ring - which probably won't happen - they'd move up to that 2nd spot)

The SF pecking order (for now) goes:

Larry Legend
    LeBron
    Pip
    Dr. J (and this is based ONLY on Doc's NBA career. If we threw in all his ABA accomplishments, he's 2nd on this list now EASILY)
    Elgin Baylor

(Bron-Bron would neeed two more rings to get that top SF spot)
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i cant believe this ? believes pippen is better than bird
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For small fowards

Bird
    Lebron
    Elgin Baylor
    D Wilkins
    Julius Erving
    James Worthy
    Pip
    Pierce

• ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hold on now. i know ? aint pickin bird over pip if they had a starting line up are yall? lets be real. larry legend is that ? but lets be for real like bird was only a ? that ran off of screens and stopped and popped? he has no athleticism what so ever. that ? will have to run off atleast a hundred screens to get a shot off.

he aint takin no ? off the dribble and he's gettin taken off the dribble every rip. i love larry but if he came up in the "? " age of basketball then larry be another white boy on the end of the bench. now goat cause i cant goat myself.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Larry could creat his own shot and his IQ was real high. He stayed in the gym day in and day out, in this "? " age of basketball he'd deffinately ? . He had good shot selection and baskeball is'nt all about athleticism. He was tough as nails too and played hard the whole 48 minutes, taking a night off was'nt in him.