2012 LYRICIST/EMCEE OF THE YEAR

Options
2»

Comments

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    It's Kendrick, Ab-Soul is in second place.
    Top two are basically interchangeable though.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    i dont get the kendrick hype....somebody name his best songs so i can listen...(dont post the video cause its blocked at work)....

P&P ft. Ab Soul
    Average Joe
    Money Trees
    Maad City
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Of course, it already seems people are saying Nas just because his history at being a lyricist.
    I personally think dude is on cruise control at this point.

Yes. Nas is the GOAT, but people are voting like its untouchable 94 Nas we talking. He's not 01 Nas. I personally think Nas was more lyrical on Distant Relative then he was on LIG.

Nas gets my rapper of the year nod, but i think Lupe & Kendrick would rap circles around Nas. 2012 Nas that is.

I cosign this to an extent. Nas might be on cruise control but Nas on cruise control lyrically is still superior to the majority of the game.

Kendrick definitely is up there this year, and while I'm not the biggest fan I'll give him his props for dropping a game changer for the masses. Nas album is just better IMO and lyrically I feel the content was appropriate/mature considering how long he's actually been doing this.
    Okay, but we're not just talking LIG vs. GKMC. Its Kendrick's verses on other artist albums and mixtapes too. the cypher, the on spot freestyles at radio stations. The more i think about it, the more i feel Kendrick just runs away with it. I feel you, but your going back to "old days" and not stayin in 2012.

Kendrick needed a lot of that for momentum and to generate interest in his project too though. Nas isn't going to be doing the cyphers, on the spot freestyles etc. because he's a proven veteran. And when it comes to the overall product, I think Nas wins this one because of the material and content on LIG.

I guess well agree to disagree on this one lol

I disagree that kendrick needed that momentum to generate interest in his project. what created interest in his project was how dope the actual album was. mmg fans weren't listening to his features on burn or the self made album and liek "oh ? thats dope lemme check for his album!". The actual format of his album and the dope lyrics of the album is what drew people to the album.

Nas is one of my favorite artists and obviously has accomplished more in his career but kendrick not only had album of the year but had the most consistent bars on whatever he spit on. Its like a player like lebron or durant having a better year than kobe and getting MVP but kobe having a better overall career at the moment.

• andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Ab Soul is 3rd behind Kendrick & Nas imo..you can make the case for either 3 tho..
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Life is good is the best Nas album since It Was Written. And I prefer life is good, but Kendrick was simply all over the place, and he could do no wrong. Nas runs away with this with the year he had almost any other year. I haven't listened to ab-soul much, so I can't even put him in the running, not to say he's not nice, I just don't got time to be a hip hop head anymore. Grown man ? ....
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    I'm not mad at the people sayin Kendric cuz I'm sure they didn't Check out the Chino Xl album but wft was kanye doin on the list lol?
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    I retract my vote....I was gonna say J. Cole but the thread title specifies "this year"...so Kendrick
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    i dont get the kendrick hype....somebody name his best songs so i can listen...(dont post the video cause its blocked at work)....

hiipower
    ADHD
    sing about me
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited December 2012
    Options
    NAS
    K.Dot had the best album imo, but Nas was the MC of the year cuz he dropped the 2nd best album of the year imo, and was dropping classic guest features....
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    Ab Soul is 3rd behind Kendrick & Nas imo..you can make the case for either 3 tho..

I'm not sure if Ab-Soul is seeing Lupe like that.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR

Idk man..Lupe did his thing on F&L2, but Control System was still better and Ab had more/better features then Lupe..plus Ab is a better lyricist then ppl give him credit for imo
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas and Chino XL... Life is Good.. Ricanstruction.... lmao at Kendrick and Lupe
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Nas is my favorite artist of all time but it's Kendrick and it's not close IMO. Life is Good was great, but kendrick killed everything he touched and had AOTY... I'd say Ab-Soul would be next followed by nasir a.k.a. the goat
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Usually when everyone is hyping up an artist he turns out wack. Not in this case. KL surpassed all my expectations and dropped the best album this year IMO. I listen to all the songs, skits included.

”These kids ready to eat”
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    i' ma have to say ghostface killah or the other ghost judging from the rhymes they spitted this year.
    on the left coast i ma have to say game.
    killer mike killed the ? this year.
  • MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick even tho gunplay killed him on cartoons and cereal.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAS
    I'd have to go with Nas. He killed his features that ? on Khaled's album was crazy, he killed it on Wayne's album and some other features I didn't mention.

Even though you can make an argument for Kendrick, I'll take Nas bar for bar being more potent. And to me listening to both albums I think it's clear Nas is better just from a lyrics stand point.

Also think Lupe deserves mention too. Maybe people weren't feeling the music as a whole but lyrically he's ridiculous. You can't just ignore tracks like Put Em Up and Form Follows Function and say he fell off. I think it's more likely that people weren't feeling the content and direction he went with.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAS
    Jay-Z shouldn't even be on the list. He's really fallen off. The feature on Ross album and Clique were underwhelming.

On WTT he wasn't that nice either only on a few tracks like Murder to Excellence and New Day. Everything else was pretty average considering its Jay.
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    Options
    NAS
    Nas easily.. He doesn't butcher his grammar with phrases like "ran my bumper into corvette".. Dude does anything to force his bars to fit. Almost as bad as eminem changing the pronunciation of words to force a rhyme scheme..
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    mdot wrote: »
    Jay-Z shouldn't even be on the list. He's really fallen off. The feature on Ross album and Clique were underwhelming.

On WTT he wasn't that nice either only on a few tracks like Murder to Excellence and New Day. Everything else was pretty average considering its Jay.

LOL .. Jay fell off?

Jay's next album will be highly anticipated, and i'm sure he can still make a classic.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    NAS
    mdot wrote: »

yo i aint even a Jay fan and he's not even in my top 10 of all times, but until that old ? retire every year his name is going to be mention...
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAS
    Nas

Kendrick Lamar had album of the year, but the combination of NAS' overall body of work in 2012 is superior to Kendrick's when you include the totality of album + guest features on mixtapes and other albums. Nas' was a monster on the guest verses all year, and Kendrick simply isn't at all.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    NAS
    K.Dot had the best album imo, but Nas was the MC of the year cuz he dropped the 2nd best album of the year imo, and was dropping classic guest features....

Did not see your post before I voted or replied, but this is accurate.

No, no he is not and it's not even close at all. I love Lupe's and Herbert's music, but Lupe's one of the all-time GOATS and if you think Control System is better than F&L than maybe, I would just disagree with people who would think that. Lyrically Lupe is just superior.

Idk man..Lupe did his thing on F&L2, but Control System was still better and Ab had more/better features then Lupe..plus Ab is a better lyricist then ppl give him credit for imo

Naw, if anything he gets a lot of his filler overlooked. I think he puts out too much filler and his potential is greater than what we've seen. He can be one of the GOATS if he cut the filler, and his features are hit or miss. In that camp, out of Black Hippy, only Jay Rock really kills almost every feature. Plus his BET Backroom verse, BET Cypher verse, and Dre Headphones verse were all wack to me. I honestly believe the latter was simply because he tries to dumb-down for the masses, which I find ironic.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OTHER (NAME EMCEE)
    Kanye nicer than jay at this point and ye don't even belong in this convo atleast this year so that means jay really don't belong even more.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KENDRICK LAMAR
    Kanye is not nicer than Jay.

Ridiculous claim is ridiculous