Game's name dropping: Does it take away from his music?

Options
13»

Comments

• SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    finally got around to hearing this whole album

the ? game mentions or references fellow rapper Jay-Z in 90% his music...

shameful.
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    I think it does hurt him a little bit. I used to defend his name dropping back in The Documentary days but by now it has kinda gotten a little stale and excessive.
  • ThaCerealKilla
    ThaCerealKilla Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It makes it seem like he ain't got ? to rap about but other rappers
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    I think Game Pieces is a cool album, but yes - ? those name drops.
    Game have been using his favorite rappers name as a crutch since he came out. Where's the growth?

Its a shame, because when he can limit mentioning Pac or Dre, he can actually spit a decent verse.
    For example.. My favorite verse from Game on GP is his 2nd verse on "See No Evil".

I can feel you on that. Its like he feels he needs to do that as a part of his "gimmick".

Personally it doesnt bother me since hes been doing that since day one, it just ends up taking away from the lyrical ability he does have.

More of a shame... Oh well .. Theres worse ? in hip hop right now.

even Game knows he name drops too much...

"You got a better chance of getting a copy of Detox
    Wolf Gang, we rock, ? rock and that ? was expected
    Like Jayceon whenever he name-drops...(? you, Tyler)"

-Martians vs. Goblins
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

He don't...that's why he's called the GAME, as in the rap game.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    I just don't get why Game is singled out and getting docked cool points for something most suceesful and respected rappers have been doing. If y'all gonna knock him for it y'all should also knock Eminiem, Chino XL, Big L, Jay Z, Ross, Ludacris, and Lloyd Banks for doing the same thing just as often. Jay actually bites ? lyrics which is even worse and you guys say stupid ? to justify it like "don't get mad cuz he got money" or "he still wins cuz he's married to Beyonce" just the stupidest have nothing to do with nothing ? when it comes to Jay.

Why doesn't Game get his just do on this site? Game gets consistantly dope beats, has one of the better catalogs, his worse album is LAX which compared to other ? bad albums like blueprint 3, Nastradamous, melvin flint, "yeah baby" any ross album and the last carter by wayne LAX is a thousand times better than all those albums. ? reps a real hood so you can't take no street cred away like you can with Ross who was actually working for the police. No one can't say Game don't got heart. I can't think of one ? that dissed him that he ain't dissed back and you can make an argument that with the exception of Joe Budden no one has gotten the best of him in a wax battle....all this but if you let the IC tell it Game wack as ? . ? tendecies like kissing grown men, grown men wearing dresses, and man purses, and ? calling themselves pretty ? almost gets defended and condoned on here but we wondering if a ? mentioning other rappers names is dispicable...do y'all realize how dumb that sounds?

You really think all of the people you mentioned have done nothing but jack styles and have never contributed anything unique or original?

Everybody I mentioned has namedropped random rappers names before or took some lyrics here and there and got a pass for it because the music was cool or whatever. Game got Documentary which is a classic and other very good albums, I just dont understand why he dont get the same treatment and pass other rappers get. was anybody doin songs exposing video chicks on "wouldn't get far" before him besides maybe the Pac song "Skandelous"? If that were Common doin that song you ? would give him props for the concept and everything.

Game has not done anything truly unique or spit any really classic verses to set him apart like those others did. The Documentary was full of 50's influence, and misogyny is now as much a staple of hip hop as turn tables and DJ's, so no he doesn't get credit for those things.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

He don't...that's why he's called the GAME, as in the rap game.

I think a lot of people miss that. I sometimes feel like these dudes were sent to do certain ? by the record execs or some higher up and that is the Game's thing to talk about the rap game in his music.
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game drops more names than a prison snitch. ? is extra annoying after a while. Funny thing is he can really rhyme. He doesnt have to, but it just seems like he is spellbound on being that one rapper who has to remind the audience how many artist he knows or hang with.

Wish he would just drop a solo album with no features or name dropping like he stated he would do a while back.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so you guys are ok with rappers name dropping brands such as nike and rolex and drug dealers they never met but other rappers is a no no
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    I think ppl got the whole namedropping thing confused.

When a name is a reference/punchline or metaphor to something then it's not really namedropping, at least the way the detractors think of.

Namedrop to me is when he drops random names who really doesn't have anything to do with what he's rapping about or the content of the song.

That's where you can compare it to other MC's like Eminem etc.

ex.

Song about a black people

Namedrop: "Shoutout to that ? Weezy, fightin over a pair of Yeezys" type of ? which makes his lyrics sound all over the place and not really following the content, which shows a lack of lyricism. He just come off like a rappin commercial doing ads for other rappers and brands.

The fact that he constantly does is another bad part. Mimmicking other ? flow and style is another thing.

Y'all ? know all the brands and shoe names he raps about is for sponsor reasons right? Even Rolex Records isn't something he just does it's cuz they prolly invested a part or get a part for trademark reasons, same thing with Maybach and MMG.

Y'all really gonna sit here and say that Eminem, Jay-Z, Nas, Ross and all the ? y'all mention does this constantly? Some of y'all are in denial. Jay-Z has taken a few lyrics but y'all gonna act like it's in 90% of his discography? I wouldn't even say it's 3%. The rest of Jay-Z's lyrics are biten or borrowing other ? flows/style.

Game however? Well..

but unlike game i think ross does it 2 be cool wit everybody on some " i want yall 2 like me" type ?

you also think there's nothing wrong with suckin a ? for 10k

u also must have ? on yo mind a little 2 much 2 be hetero if u quote me n every thread tryna bring dat ? up...
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh.....you would suck a ? for 10 g's.......and you tryna tell me i'm the non hetero one?
    get all the way the ? outta here, guy