At what point do you start dropping your Fav rappers down the list?

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
Aight so after the many comments of new JT and Jay song, the popular consensus is that Jay came "ok" "soft" "weak". This continues from the many people who felt the same about Blueprint 3 and Watch The Throne. I know many of us have Jay at least in the top 10, some as far as GOAT.

When if ever do you start to reconsider one of your fav rappers all time status? This thread isnt only about the Jigga man, its for your fav rappers that were once great/untouchable and now are putting out sub par quality. Speak on it.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe i do it all the time. At one point i had Jay in my top 5 now i'm not even sure where he ranks.

I always had Pac number 1 til the Fix came out. After that I moved Scarface ahead of him. I've moved Nas up to number 3 on my list. I used to have Biggie 3 but i dropped him below Nas and cube. When Be dropped I put common pass redman bun B and Jay on my lists. i'm pretty sure I got Devin way higher on my lists that most.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, I liked Jay's verse on that song, and I think he's gone soft as baby ? .

Depends. My GOAT and favorite lists are different. My favorite lists changes all the time, depending on what I listen to throughout the day, but it's usually the same 3 on top (Red, Nas, Em). But my GOAT list refers to legacies. Nas and Jay are 1 and 2 on my GOAT list, no one can match the longevity and critical acclaim of those two.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    After they release a wack album and the guys further down on the list drop a good album, but of course it's hard to ? my list since discography and longevity are a big part... so they usually just end up replacing each other.

Only people who disappear from the list are the ones who fall all the way off aka both lyrically and musically. Then I can't ? with duns anymore. (JayZ's a good example of someone who's fallen off completely.)
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Top 3 Rarely Changes

Nas
    Cube
    Common
  • Stew
    Options
    Good points.

Think Pac is the only one that Ive moved in my top 5 and thats only cause Nas continued to drop heat. If I get another wack Jay album I think I will have to do some more. BP3 was the only album I hvnt purchased from anybody in my top 5.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good points.

Think Pac is the only one that Ive moved in my top 5 and thats only cause Nas continued to drop heat. If I get another wack Jay album I think I will have to do some more. BP3 was the only album I hvnt purchased from anybody in my top 5.

Yea at some point i was like i love you Pac but Nas and Face still dropping dope ? I gotta slide you down

Sometimes when i got back and listen to ? and think dam this is doper or wacker than i thought. And I change my mind again
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I dropped Jay down on my list after BP3. And he's going to keep dropping if he keeps putting out sub par ? . Em dropped outta my top 10 after I got older and realized that some of his ? wasn't as nice as I initially thought.

Common and Black Thought both have a spot among my personal best when they didn't 5 years ago. I think Pac has been my only constant.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when they fall off... or when other surpass them...
    I used to hold Redman and Krs in high esteem... their classics are still great but the quality of their music has been surpassed by quite a few artists...
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When they talk ? on twitter and don't release music.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is a certified Eminem stan asking this question?
  • Stew
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Is a certified Eminem stan fan asking this question?

Yes u gonna answer or what?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Scarface and Cube can't hurt themselves with me they have done too much it would be like nitpicking to drop them for falling off when others can't possibly do what they have done.

Pac is looking shaky to me the more I live. So, I guess my answer is I drop dudes when I start to see that they can easily be matched or surpassed.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Is a certified Eminem stan fan asking this question?

Yes u gonna answer or what?

I wouldn't move a rapper down spots in my top list unless they release weak ? to the point it starts to balance out with the good ? .
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man my list changes almost daily. The only people that have a secure spot in my top 10, are Nas, Scarface, and Ice Cube. Even then they all shift to different numbers within that top 10. Cubes been sittin at 9 or 10 for the last few years with that I am The West joint, and the Raw Footage (I liked raw footage, about half of it. Didnt get much replay tho) and i wasnt a huge fan of I Am The West.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My list is underground #1. K.B. Da Kidnappa & Pharoah of Street Military!
    2.K-Rino & Lil Flea of Street Military!
    3.S.P.C./S.U.C./Killa ?
  • Stew
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    My list is underground #1. K.B. Da Kidnappa & Pharoah of Street Military!
    2.K-Rino & Lil Flea of Street Military!
    3.S.P.C./S.U.C./Killa ?

What about Face and UGK?
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    am i the only ? that don't got a list?
    i just listen to ? from ? i ? with
    if i don't like it that don't stop me from checkin for other ? of theirs
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Depends on the consistency of the quality of their material or how I may feel about their music at a certain point. For instance I love Outkast and listened to their music on a regular basis, always have since I first heard the song "Southernplayalistic", but it was only in the past 2-3 years that Andre and Big Boi actually moved into becoming my favorite rappers the more I've gone back and listened to their music over and over again and connected with it in a different way than I did when I was younger.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm for me putting out wack music doesn't take away from past accomplishments. I'm also another person who always had Pac at 1 but had to move him down cause I felt Nas passed him. The only way someone like Jay moves down on my list is by other people putting out enough quality material to pass him.
  • Stew
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Depends on the consistency of the quality of their material or how I may feel about their music at a certain point. For instance I love Outkast and listened to their music on a regular basis, always have since I first heard the song "Southernplayalistic", but it was only in the past 2-3 years that Andre and Big Boi actually moved into becoming my favorite rappers the more I've gone back and listened to their music over and over again and connected with it in a different way than I did when I was younger.

This happened to me a few years ago as well. I get asked all the time "Who are your fav rappers?" I say Outkast, then the rest of my ? . Their legacy as a group is already cemented imo. I feel the same about Pac cause he really cant mess up his career anymore RIP

The rest of my fav solo acts outside of Biggie still put out albums so I hold these ? to a high standard. No reason to be puttin out avg to below avg projects after this long. For the most part they all stay solid but it could change.
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    Options
    Its the Roy Jones syndrome.. U gotta know when to quit before you tarnish your legacy..
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When they start sucking... But I still got T.I. in my top 5. It's not like any new ? better than he was.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Wayne the best forever! IANAHB2 Feb 19th!

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Hov verse wasn't bad. it was good on there like I stated in the thread. and I guess Hov was spitting on WTT. Imo WTT made up for Bp3 and some of the features he been on since bp3 released been heat.
  • coolc31
    coolc31 Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My list really doesn't change besides 1 & 2. Hov is 1 and Nas is 2. If that changes, it's because I've been listening to their old ? . None of their new ? makes me change anything. To me, it would be like saying Mike isn't the GOAT because he played for the Wizards. You can't overlook what the dude did no matter how much you thought he should have stayed retired.