Nas defends Tarantino about using the word "? in Django

Options
1235»

Comments

• ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the movie sold over 139 million dollars just alone in america.so i guess QT got away with it
  • Pyrexcup
    Pyrexcup Members Posts: 358
    Options
    nas dont bust his guns
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well another "backpacker", "militant", "conscious" MC also doesn't mind the flick
    ....Talib Kweli:
    Although Kweli fully embraced the new flick, he did understand director Spike Lee's issues with it.

"I liked it a lot, it was thorougly, thoroughly entertaining," Kweli said in an interview referring to Tarantino's latest flick. "[Offended by it?] Nah. I'm a fan of Quentin Tarantino. I'm a student of his films. I know what I'ma get when I go see his films. Slavery was the real backdrop of the story and I think that's where the real debate lies. Slavery should be the backdrop, whether or not you should use the Spaghetti Western format to tell the story that involves slavery but once you get past that argument, it was a great story. It wasn't no Pulp Fiction, but it was real good. ... I don't think [the N-word usage] was an issue with Django Unchained. Clearly it is of the time, clearly the N-word was a word that was used way more times than a hundred times. ... The word 'N*gga' in the movie Django Unchained was perfect -- when you're having arguments and people are weighing in on social networks, what the actual argument is gets lost. Spike Lee, even though he's had problems in the past with Quentin using the word 'N*gga' in his films, in Reservoir Dogs, in Pulp Fiction, that was never his issue with this film. He never said, 'My issue is...' People assumed that was his issue. His issue was, 'Slavery was, to my ancestors, such an important topic that if you're going to make a film about it, it needs to be treated as serious subject matter." (Hot 97)

http://www.sohh.com/2013/01/talib_kweli_tries_to_get_by_w_django_unc.html
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    ? almost every white person in that movie got killed. even the cool white guy died so I can't complain. When Jamie was beating that redneck with the whip i got up and started clapping. It was a good movie. I'm going to go off of what ? Gregory said "If it don't apply let it fly". He older than everybody posting on here and he can say that then we should respect it. That word doesn't have meaning anymore, we rendered it useless.

did you just ruin the movie?

? ?
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody want freedom of speech until someone say something they dont like...silly ?
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't he cape for Gwyneth for when she tweeted ? in paris?

Still a dope artist tho
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    That titangraph contains more holes than a fat ? 's gramma panties.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    LOL, baiting my intelligence doesn't work pimpin. And I did add something to the conversation, I told you, you're contradicting yourself.

yeezy shrugs
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    Options
    only shady thing i thought about the film was how they made the slave girl at big daddys plantation talk
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Nas and his take comes from that of a Artist and he appreciates the work. I would bet most people hating right now have not even seen the movie which in itself is a work of Black Empowerment as the title Charactor overcomes his oppressors. But most kats are so caught in the letters or words that miss the spirit and meaning of the story itself...
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited January 2013
    Options
    So I just watched the movie and I'm blown away at how great it is, this might be because it's so fresh in my mind but right now I have to put atop The Departed and No Country for Old Men as my favorite movie of all time.

The usage of the word ? wasn't extreme and it fit within the context of the time period, not to mention the fact that a "? " was not only the main character but the hero! Anybody that has a problem with it either hasn't seen the movie or has their heads stuck so far up their ? that they can't see the big picture of the movie.

It's a bit shameful that we can listen to our people call our women ? and hoes, we can make songs about killing each other all damn day, and not ONE black person is seeing an iota of the profits that the white men who ? our black ? are seeing from it but we have a problem with a movie where a black man exacts righteous justice on an enumerable amount of slave owners and white men because they use the word ? !?

You guys are ? idiots, seriously. How you love that, ? .
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sayin "? " dont bother me from a white person unless its used in a threatening way..
    What i dont like is QT feeling like he set a pinnacle for slave movies when his ? was fictional..