Options
2»

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    alexander miles : patented electric elevator
    valerie thomas : invented Illusion transmitter
    Frederick Jones : invented automatic refrigderation system used in long hauls
    Edmond Berger : early spark plug (1839)

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I got my start by giving myself a start." - Madame CJ Walker
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

George Washington Carver: invented peanut butter

Carver never invented peanut butter

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pyrexcup wrote: »
    VIBE wrote: »
    Does anyone feel it disrespectful that there's just one month dedicated to recognition of what black people have done?

you aint black why do care

I overheard a discussion about this earlier this afternoon, was curious as to who felt this way.

I think it's disrespectful.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grand Wizard Theodore: invented scratching

Kool Herc: credited for creating HIP HOP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYF1xRgqdOM
  • Pyrexcup
    Pyrexcup Members Posts: 358
    Options
    Thomas-Alexandre Dumas
    was the first black general in French history and remains the highest-ranking person of color of all time in a continental European army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Alexandre_Dumas
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone feel it disrespectful that there's just one month dedicated to recognition of what black people have done?

I do. I know imma get negative reactions to this, but I feel as if having a month where we need to talk about our achievements seems backwards to me in terms of trying to get rid of the stigma that we are different from everyone else. Why can't we just talk about our achievements on a daily basis?
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    this man single handedly changed the face of summer time water gun fights (I dont think kids do that anymore)
    lonnie johnson: inventor of the super soaker
    lonniejohnson.jpg

R . Kelly had a different interpretation of this tho
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Uppin this thead.
  • Pyrexcup
    Options
    Lets use this thread to highlight historical accomplishments made by Black Men/Women....

Daniel Hale Williams: performed very first open heart surgery

Garrett Morgan: invented the gas mask

Madam C.J. Walker: first black female millionaire

tumblr_lhi2hmRKvo1qc6xnl.gif

get this ? gif out of here
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do. I know imma get negative reactions to this, but I feel as if having a month where we need to talk about our achievements seems backwards to me in terms of trying to get rid of the stigma that we are different from everyone else. Why can't we just talk about our achievements on a daily basis?

I look at it the same way.

• Pyrexcup
    Options
    smfh thread didnt even make more than 2 pages
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Garrett Morgan

Inventor of the Gas Mask.

morgan.gif

Garrett Morgan was an inventor and businessman from Cleveland who invented a device called the Morgan safety hood and smoke protector in 1914. On July 25, 1916, Garrett Morgan made national news for using his gas mask to rescue 32 men trapped during an explosion in an underground tunnel 250 feet beneath Lake Erie. Morgan and a team of volunteers donned the new “gas masks” and went to the rescue. After the rescue, Morgan’s company received requests from fire departments around the country who wished to purchase the new masks. The Morgan gas mask was later refined for use by U.S. Army during World War I. In 1914, Garrett Morgan was awarded a patent for a Safety Hood and Smoke Protector. After witnessing a collision between an automobile and a horse-drawn carriage, Garrett Morgan took his turn at inventing a traffic signal. Other inventors had experimented with, marketed, and even patented traffic signals, however, Garrett Morgan was one of the first to apply for and acquire a U.S. patent for an inexpensive to produce traffic signal.

Fredrick McKinley Jones

jones-portrait-tm.jpg

Frederick McKinley Jones was one of the most prolific Black inventors ever. Frederick Jones patented more than sixty inventions, however, he is best known for inventing an automatic refrigeration system for long-haul trucks in 1935 (a roof-mounted cooling device). Jones was the first person to invent a practical, mechanical refrigeration system for trucks and railroad cars, which eliminated the risk of food spoilage during long-distance shipping trips. The system was, in turn, adapted to a variety of other common carriers, including ships. Frederick Jones was issued the patent on July 12, 1940.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jesus was black. and we are his direct descendants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oLispeInw
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    black history month no disrespect but the muthafuckas who gave us that ? want to remind you that to them our history, start with slavery, that's what they want you to think.....

It's funny how they call it black history month, but only cover like a 300 year period. And they don't even do that ? thoroughly, just rehash the same ? over and over. Our history is trivialized.
  • Ip man
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Pyrexcup wrote: »
    Lets use this thread to highlight historical accomplishments made by Black Men/Women....
    Consider it done my good friend
    tumblr_m6d84puPgY1qzxfhz.gif

Daniel Hale Williams: performed very first open heart surgery

Garrett Morgan: invented the gas mask

Madam C.J. Walker: first black female millionaire

tumblr_lhi2hmRKvo1qc6xnl.gif

get this ? gif out of here

done my good friend,

django-unchained.gif[img][/img]
  • Ip man
    Options