Complex magazine, 11 great rappers who don't have classics [feelings will be caught]

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't feel like cartoon/animated rappers can drop classics (Nikki, Busta, Luda, Big Sean,etc). To me the jokes/animation doesn't age well.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's unfair to put Big L on that list, I bet Complex would have put Nas up there if they had the chance.

I forgot about Soul on Ice that was a classic too.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I feel like Luda should have a classic by now, but he be bullshittin

yea luda definitely makes my list for top 5 most underachieving rappers....

Jamaica wrote: »
    It's unfair to put Big L on that list, I bet Complex would have put Nas up there if they had the chance.

I forgot about Soul on Ice that was a classic too.

I missed Ras Kass as well and yea "Soul on Ice" is a classic
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Death is Certain was a personal classic to me. And it was underrated in my opinion.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would say ymcmb paid for nikki to make the list but then again they not even paying producers or bow wows so that couldn't be true
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I would of put Lil Wayne on the list and replace Nikki

I don't know about that. The Block is Hot is pretty close to classic, and I wasn't even a Cash Money fan.

If by classic we just mean a classic for that artist, then truth be told Lil Wayne's "Lights Out" truly shows him at his best as a overall rapper IMO. Only person on that list I'd take off Nikki because I don't think she's a great rapper. I don't think she's as bad as people say, her songs suck for the most part but as an actual MC she's actually a good technical MC in how she puts her bars together at times.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    List is pretty accurate. I will argue that Busta has a classic Album with LONS "A Future Without a Past"
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ putting wayne on the list

Carter II is classic
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic music is subjective...

I personally think Soul On Ice is a classic album.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Canibus

Albums: Can-I-Bus (1998), 2000 B.C. (Before Can-I-Bus) (2000), C True Hollywood Stories (2001), Mic Club: The Curriculum (2002), Rip the Jacker (2003), Mind Control (2005), Hip-Hop For Sale (2005), For Whom the Beat Tolls (2007), Melatonin Magik (2010), C of Tranquility (2010), Lyrical Law (2011)

It might hurt some of his Internet fanboys to hear this, but no rapper wasted their moment in the sun quite like Canibus did. When he first came out, Canibus was seen as a lyricist with a gruff voice and enough syllables to make your head spin. In other words, he was ? rap’s answer to the "jiggy" players of the day. To top it off, he got into a high profile beef with LL Cool J and unleashed one of the best hip-hop diss songs of all time.

But when he dropped his absolute fail of a debut album he squandered his best chance of making a classic and becoming a true star. He would later blame his shortcomings on producer Wyclef Jean, which was fine, but his subsequent albums weren’t any better and as time went on, the general public lost interest in hearing a guy rap like he was reciting the dictionary.

(Sidebar: Canibus also deserves to be taken to task for his series of absolutely bizarre decisions. We’re not just talking about him recently dissing J. Cole for no reason and then apologizing about it. Or the time he started dissing Eminem for no reason. But for doing things like showing up to the VMAs in silver body paint. Seriously, what the !! was that?)

Source: 11 Great Rappers Who Never Had A Classic Album | Complex

Wack list
    Even wacker opinion.
    Not surprising considering Ecko's background (born into a wealthy Jewish family, makes money off of hip-hop, now believes he can dictate policies).

Bis has dropped 3 arguable classics.

Mic Club
    Rip the Jacker
    For Whom the Beat Tolls

StonefaceLMAO.gif

Have you listened to those albums?

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    canibus with 3 arguable classics?
    Taylor-Swift-Laughing-Gif-taylor-swift-30258989-500-245.gif
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So by these standards eminem has a classic album in his catalog so which album does complex consider a classic? Complex would probably say Marshall mathers LP .
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is Eminem?

I only disagree with Busta Rhymes not having a classic. ELE was a classic.

Don't agree about Em, but I do agree with the Busta comment....list was pretty accurate though
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Back For The First Time is classic. You can honestly play that from front to back.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    mdot wrote: »
    Death is Certain was a personal classic to me. And it was underrated in my opinion.

This and imo The Big Bang is a classic.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wayne have a classic

Carter 1
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lifestylez ov da poor & dangerous is a classic, another wack complex list.

And lol @ " Take Care has a much greater chance of being viewed as a classic in 10 years than Roman Reloaded does." Both albums were wack but nicki actually rapped more drake on her album
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Canibus

Albums: Can-I-Bus (1998), 2000 B.C. (Before Can-I-Bus) (2000), C True Hollywood Stories (2001), Mic Club: The Curriculum (2002), Rip the Jacker (2003), Mind Control (2005), Hip-Hop For Sale (2005), For Whom the Beat Tolls (2007), Melatonin Magik (2010), C of Tranquility (2010), Lyrical Law (2011)

It might hurt some of his Internet fanboys to hear this, but no rapper wasted their moment in the sun quite like Canibus did. When he first came out, Canibus was seen as a lyricist with a gruff voice and enough syllables to make your head spin. In other words, he was ? rap’s answer to the "jiggy" players of the day. To top it off, he got into a high profile beef with LL Cool J and unleashed one of the best hip-hop diss songs of all time.

But when he dropped his absolute fail of a debut album he squandered his best chance of making a classic and becoming a true star. He would later blame his shortcomings on producer Wyclef Jean, which was fine, but his subsequent albums weren’t any better and as time went on, the general public lost interest in hearing a guy rap like he was reciting the dictionary.

(Sidebar: Canibus also deserves to be taken to task for his series of absolutely bizarre decisions. We’re not just talking about him recently dissing J. Cole for no reason and then apologizing about it. Or the time he started dissing Eminem for no reason. But for doing things like showing up to the VMAs in silver body paint. Seriously, what the !! was that?)

Source: 11 Great Rappers Who Never Had A Classic Album | Complex

Wack list
    Even wacker opinion.
    Not surprising considering Ecko's background (born into a wealthy Jewish family, makes money off of hip-hop, now believes he can dictate policies).

Bis has dropped 3 arguable classics.

Mic Club
    Rip the Jacker
    For Whom the Beat Tolls

StonefaceLMAO.gif

Have you listened to those albums?

photo1_zps1aa784a5.jpg

Neither Album are classics not even close...Rip The Jacker is barely 3 mics Stoupe beatz are trash.

That's your opinion (I don't agree with it, but it's yours nonetheless), and @t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088;5451425 was asked the question.

• stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i agree with this list, Take out Canibus, i consider Rip The Jacker a Classic
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is Eminem?

I only disagree with Busta Rhymes not having a classic. ELE was a classic.

Don't take any Limo rides with Busta