Complex magazine, 11 great rappers who don't have classics [feelings will be caught]

Options

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like Luda should have a classic by now, but he be bullshittin

? his first two albums is classic worthy IMO
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chicken n beer and word of mouf are classics...

juelz what the games been missing is a very good album... the only reason it aint a classic is cuz juelz productivity fell off after dat c.d

and as far as nicki... i think she was jus " too hungry" and put her true talent to da side.... and blew up too fast 4 her 2 even make a classic album... u can see in her more " r&b" tracks that the talent is there... but it gets out shined by ? like " starships, sound the alarm"
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty accurate list except for two things:

1) i would take Nicki and juelz of the list not because they have classics, but because they trash

2) i would take big l of the list becuz he died and didn't really have the opportunity or chance to prove himself.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ras Kass - Soul On Ice

Canibus - Rip The Jacker

Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes/Anarchy(possible)

Big L - Lifestylez

Any fan of true hip hop will tell you these are classics
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Soul on Ice was a classic..more than a few of the rappers on this list weren't "great" though.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People in here really saying Busta and Luda got good albums? Them dudes is like the definition of great artists that can't make great albums.
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    banks' hunger for more & jada' kiss of death are classic.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate to say it but Method Man dont have one.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lifestyles of the poor and dangerous is a classic to me. ? that ? lol

ditto
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's cool to see fabolous "breathe" which is about 10 years old being used in the new movie dead man down trailer .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akSI2-GXYiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

I don't care what anyone says. Tical is a classic, or at the very least it's close enough for him to not have made this list.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    chicken n beer and word of mouf are classics...

juelz what the games been missing is a very good album... the only reason it aint a classic is cuz juelz productivity fell off after dat c.d

and as far as nicki... i think she was jus " too hungry" and put her true talent to da side.... and blew up too fast 4 her 2 even make a classic album... u can see in her more " r&b" tracks that the talent is there... but it gets out shined by ? like " starships, sound the alarm"

joe can you explain this logic? how is album not a classic just b/c the guy fell off after that album?

cuz u have other ? 2 compare 2.... he only has 2 albums... da only ? dat has 2 albums and one is a classic is biggie ( some say the only reason he has a classic is cuz he died)...

even 50 cent wit get rich or die tryin is arguably a classic cuz he steady declined in popularity and work ethic music wise AFTER get rich or die tryin came out...
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Joe Buddens?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big L Debut Is Damn Near Classic
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like Luda should have a classic by now, but he be bullshittin

yea luda definitely makes my list for top 5 most underachieving rappers....

Sad but true. The worst thing is that it's not like he's lazy like other underachievers like Juelz, ? , Kiss, etc. I mean he's dropped 7 solo albums in the last 13 years, while doing some decent acting as well.
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No sign BIG L not having a classic. Hell even jigga bite some of his rhymes. Co sign the rest tho... Nicki ken doll patrols aint going to like this. Cue the YMCMB stans
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lifestyle of the poor and dangerous ain't even ? on the level of WORD LIFE and JEWELZ by O.C. much less a classic.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big L really wasn't all that to me...
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dixinormus wrote: »
    No Joe Buddens?

Joe Budden, clown.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't care what anyone says. Tical is a classic, or at the very least it's close enough for him to not have made this list.

Love the album but compared to ghost and rae's, it just doesnt reach that standard of classic material.
  • PlanetillAd
    PlanetillAd Members Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, Big L's first joint isn't classic at all. Some great punchlines and bars on there, but comparing that album to the other heat we got in the mid 90's it falls way short. I dont even think Big Pun's Capital Punishment is a classic, and that is light years better than Big L's first album.

Busta Rhymes ELE can be argued, I think it is a 4.25 mic album. Lot of heat on that jawn.

Everyone else I agree with, but people in here saying Canibus got 3 classics need to get the ? out of here. RIP the Jacker was decent, but a 3 @ best. And I was a HUGE Canibus fan, but dude has dropped some very wack albums. In my honest opinion, I think Canibus 2000 B.C. is his best album. Beats on there fit his rapid delivery, and Journalist is a perfect sidekick for him to rhyme with. ? he had beats by Ty Fyffe, Irv Gotti, Heatmakerz, DJ Clue. That album is a lyrical massacre on rough rugged dope beats.

Method Man needs to join this list as a solo artist.

Because Wayne gave me the Dedication 2 *I know it's a mixtape. but ? is still crazy to this day* and Carter 1 & 2. I'll give him a pass for not being on this list.

But if Nikki is on this list, Drake needs to be on here too. I ? wit Drizzy but dude aint got no classic albums.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Love the album but compared to ghost and rae's, it just doesnt reach that standard of classic material.

Again, an album not being as good as another album doesn't mean it's not classic. Just because Tical isn't OB4CL doesn't mean it isn't Classic.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    Somewhere between 80-90% of Complex's opinions on anything are ? ...Ion care...

Word they gon drop a list like "The 100 best janitor characters in bulgarian horror flicks"