Which Diss Track was better UNLV's Drag em In the River or Mystikal's Back from the River

Options
BlackAX410
BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in The Reason
Just listened to both tracks back to back nd always wondered if dis track (Yella Boy's version) woulda been as popular if Mystikal's comeback would've been released (he pulled it after gettin spins on da radio 1 time since Yella Boy died) While not as lyrical Yella Boy's diss track was catchy as a mawfucka. Slept on thing was dis wasnt da 1st time he dissed Mystikal dis was bout da 5th song he made dis one just hit da hardest but didnt effect his career at all. Mystikal's diss was lyrical but didnt get out there but if it did who knows how dat beef woulda played out here's da tracks yall can decide which one was betta via poll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DThKSgTHryM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQSYLTmI0

Which Diss Track was better UNLV's Drag em In the River or Mystikal's Back from the River 20 votes

UNLV- Drag Em In the River
80%
southsil4liljee504jonoP. TownBcotton5moyoCutler 26 INT's LOL!Michael_Malicenumbaz...80's babyTrollio Ear2DaStHafBaykedEDDIEKANEJ. WillAggieLean.Intelligent_Hoodlum 16 votes
Mystikal- Back from the River
20%
tharealest561Reggie80OGClarenceBoddickerThe Recipe 4 votes

Comments

• J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You play that UNLV at the club and people go batshit...that beat is infectious
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man this is tough. while i ? with UNLV and Mystikal, i gotta give it to drag em in the river. that beat then when that ? say "take them braids out his head yella". so the whole song you hear that in the background. and i remember that Mystikal song but it wasn't played as much because of yella's death like you mentioned. it was a nice comeback but man drag em in the river is just iconic song when it gets played. if you don't know the words being from this area then you just don't know ? about new orleans rap.
    i remember back in the 90s, my mama took me and best friend to the battle of the bands in the superdome between southern and grambling. well grambling did a song (i can't remember which one) while mystikal performed to it. well the ether came when southern came next after that. the human jukebox played that ? 'n drag em in the river. the whole band was making the "ohhhh" sound like on the track. that ? mystikal couldn't say ? . the whole crowd went crazy. good times right there.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    J. Will wrote: »
    You play that UNLV at the club and people go batshit...that beat is infectious

yea dat beat is nasty Mannie snapped on dat one lls da way Yella Boy delivered made dat track knock too he had a smooth delivery but Mystikal's lyricism nd energy on his diss track was crucial too
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    man this is tough. while i ? with UNLV and Mystikal, i gotta give it to drag em in the river. that beat then when that ? say "take them braids out his head yella". so the whole song you hear that in the background. and i remember that Mystikal song but it wasn't played as much because of yella's death like you mentioned. it was a nice comeback but man drag em in the river is just iconic song when it gets played. if you don't know the words being from this area then you just don't know ? about new orleans rap.
    i remember back in the 90s, my mama took me and best friend to the battle of the bands in the superdome between southern and grambling. well grambling did a song (i can't remember which one) while mystikal performed to it. well the ether came when southern came next after that. the human jukebox played that ? 'n drag em in the river. the whole band was making the "ohhhh" sound like on the track. that ? mystikal couldn't say ? . the whole crowd went crazy. good times right there.

lol damn, crazy thing is Mystikal said in an article last year Drag em in the River was his favorite track when it came out he said he played it in his car all da time
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Youse a hoe, Mystakal..."

"im from da 3 and I dont give a ? .."
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    i aint vote yet cuz dis is a tough decision iont even kno wat da polls look like rite now lls
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mystikal >>>>
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How did N.O. feel about Juvenile using this beat for Set If Off???......cuz yeah that beat is NUTS
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    How did N.O. feel about Juvenile using this beat for Set If Off???......cuz yeah that beat is NUTS

idk Mannie Fresh was behind both tracks so im sure it wasnt a huge deal Drag em In the River is betta then set it off tho
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »

idk Mannie Fresh was behind both tracks so im sure it wasnt a huge deal Drag em In the River is betta then set it off tho

The original is always the best one.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Mystikal >>>>

i gotta say dis, for a diss track dat was so popular it had no effect on Mystikal's career at all lol dat same year he dropped a platinum album nd was ridin da wave of his verse on Make em Say UGH. Drag Em was da 4th or 5ht diss attempt by them da ova ones seemed like desperate attempts to get popular
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    knew this was a jeff axel thread
    only ? that give a ? about this type of ?
    you was born in the wrong place at the wrong time
    you supposed to be a 35 year old southern ?
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Folk..

I was at that BOTBs lol...I was like in 6th or 7th grade...mayne when that drag'em from the river dropped..aww mayne lol....I thought that was it for Mystikal lol...That song took off so fast...mayne the impact of that song lol...but at that BOTB I think it was 96 lol....Them ngas in the band Lmfao....bruh I remember you know how they put the spot light on the band when they play..I remember a second spotlight being flash shinning on the area where Mystikal was standing Lmfao....mayne bruh...smh...but the impact on that song..when that ? came out...smh....
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love UNLV but Mystikal hit em with that ether.

• Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Juvy been wanted to use that track..lol..nga was begging Fresh to use that track...Fresh finally gave the green light for him to use it...I think if I recall..Baby had a hand on not letting Juvy rap on it or something..it was an issue about using old CMR tracks...Baby never wanted to sample "any" tracks or re-use any tracks that were already did..
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    knew this was a jeff axel thread
    only ? that give a ? about this type of ?
    you was born in the wrong place at the wrong time
    you supposed to be a 35 year old southern ?

lmao just wanted to mix it up in da reason wit sumthin different
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember everybody riding & bumping "Drag'em In The River" in their cut dawgs (cutlass), MC's, regals & other old school whip. That song had the summer on smash when it came out
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You fake cheerleading ? .
  • jee504
    Options
    the whole cash money records and big boy records beef was some of the tightest ? to happen for me. because every time they dropped albums you'd literally listen to the whole albums to see who was gonna diss who. and unlv been dissing mystikal. on mac melph calio they dissed him on "i'm bout it" and some other track that lil doogie (b.g.).
    now if you woulda did "here i go" vs. drag em in the river then that woulda been tough. but nonetheless mystikal always had lyrics. you gotta appreciate the lyrics from him. but don't sleep because yella was lyrical too and highly slept on. he dropped a lot of gems. ? i wish he still woulda lived to drop a solo cd.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    the whole cash money records and big boy records beef was some of the tightest ? to happen for me. because every time they dropped albums you'd literally listen to the whole albums to see who was gonna diss who. and unlv been dissing mystikal. on mac melph calio they dissed him on "i'm bout it" and some other track that lil doogie (b.g.).
    now if you woulda did "here i go" vs. drag em in the river then that woulda been tough. but nonetheless mystikal always had lyrics. you gotta appreciate the lyrics from him. but don't sleep because yella was lyrical too and highly slept on. he dropped a lot of gems. ? i wish he still woulda lived to drop a solo cd.

yea i think a Yella Boy solo album woulda been betta then Straight from the Ramp
  • jee504
    Options

yea i think a Yella Boy solo album woulda been betta then Straight from the Ramp

man who you telling. my appreciation for mannie started with these dudes right there. and this drag em in the river was yella solo cut off uptown for life. another thing that doesn't get done with groups a lot today. because tec and ya had their own solo songs as well.

threads like this make me feel not so bad because i thought i was one of the few dudes who still appreciate rap like this.
  • BlackAX410
    Options

man who you telling. my appreciation for mannie started with these dudes right there. and this drag em in the river was yella solo cut off uptown for life. another thing that doesn't get done with groups a lot today. because tec and ya had their own solo songs as well.

threads like this make me feel not so bad because i thought i was one of the few dudes who still appreciate rap like this.

90's NO rap is my favorite region nd style of rap cuz it was so unique but on here u can find a group of people who like anything besides horrorcore lol. Uptown 4 Life was a good album too Mannie laced dat album wit great beats especially Playa Hatin
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Mystikal >>>>

i gotta say dis, for a diss track dat was so popular it had no effect on Mystikal's career at all lol dat same year he dropped a platinum album nd was ridin da wave of his verse on Make em Say UGH. Drag Em was da 4th or 5ht diss attempt by them da ova ones seemed like desperate attempts to get popular

yea mystikal won at the end of the of day, breathing and enjoying major success>>>....he lost for catching that case though
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Part 2 dissing Lil Wayne and Baby went hard too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFtfaQ3xgz8

• G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this ? eyes where probably tearing while reading thru this thread

jesse_2.jpg