Is it almost cool today to be A RAPPER WHO CAN'T RAP?

Options
Disciplined InSight
Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
I mean let's be serious...because of the advanced technological revolution any ? can become a rapper...It's not oblivious to the fact that the majority of these artists are about the money, so learning the craft and skills is an AFTERTHOUGHT because the top objects to rap about: sex, drugs, money=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    make em say uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhh nana na naa
  • mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as people keep buying they will keep selling. U go 2 the club n get turnt up 2 it and the girls dance 2 it. The radio n tv play it. Yeah it's more profitable 2 have a gimmick not necessarily have talent but that will never change. I don't think it's cool cuz to be a rapper n not know how 2 rap but u can make simple tracks that r easy 2 follow about whatever.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mr.october wrote: »
    As long as people keep buying they will keep selling. U go 2 the club n get turnt up 2 it and the girls dance 2 it. The radio n tv play it. Yeah it's more profitable 2 have a gimmick not necessarily have talent but that will never change. I don't think it's cool cuz to be a rapper n not know how 2 rap but u can make simple tracks that r easy 2 follow about whatever.

There used to be a time where a club record was dope as hell and lyrical as hell and everyone danced to it. ? got popping the same way and clubs were jumping. Guess the lyrical club record is another lost art in Hip Hop, along with storytelling in the mainstream. Ever since Lil Jon blew up, the lyrical club record became an afterthought, and that same time, Jay retired from the game (the first time).

Ironic how the new Lyrical cats (Cole, Wale, K-Dot) are selling more albums and having bigger tours than the non-lyrical rappers that are forced to perform in hole-in-the-wall clubs with the fraction of the pay. Guess some ? identify with being an underachiever more than anything these days, especially with rap.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These Lil John mentions make no sense...John was/is a DJ, not a rapper, and he has never presented himself as a rapper the media did that...That's like sayin "Ever since Khaled blew up, rappers can't do a song by themselves"...Plus, the chants/verses John does on songs weren't some type of groundbreaking ? that had never been heard from a dj before...? gon act like they don't remember a huge song by the name of "Let Me Clear My Throat"...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    These Lil John mentions make no sense...John was/is a DJ, not a rapper, and he has never presented himself as a rapper the media did that...That's like sayin "Ever since Khaled blew up, rappers can't do a song by themselves"...Plus, the chants/verses John does on songs weren't some type of groundbreaking ? that had never been heard from a dj before...? gon act like they don't remember a huge song by the name of "Let Me Clear My Throat"...

you serious?
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Music is more about relation than talent.

being a wack rapper has been cool for a good 8 yrs now

In fact rapping good has been looked down upon for a while until Wayne caught a good wind w/ The carter, then found Drake leading to your Cole's and Big Seans, and kendrick Lamars being commercial successes as far as new artists

The south doesn't give a ? about lyrics as a whole it's more about catchy songs ppl can dance to and lyrics are optional.

There are southern artists who are very lyrical but besides Scarface,Outkast,TI and Luda most remain underground,local,or got a low profile
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have the internet on computers now?
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

you serious?

The only times I've seen him referred to as a rapper, it was white people or the news...He's not a rapper, he's a dj/producer that put his club chants on actual songs...He got some songs where its just him but for the most part he does the hook and let's the rappers handle the rest...Sayin "Put yo hands up" and "run around the ? club" over and over makes you a rapper now?...I've never seen or heard any rapper say "Well, when Kings of Crunk revolutionized the game, I just said ? tryin to have skills"...I ain't never seen Lil John on nobody top 5...
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Name me a song where Lil Jon referred to himself as a rapper, dude's always presented himself as a DJ/producer...
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

you serious?

The only times I've seen him referred to as a rapper, it was white people or the news...He's not a rapper, he's a dj/producer that put his club chants on actual songs...He got some songs where its just him but for the most part he does the hook and let's the rappers handle the rest...Sayin "Put yo hands up" and "run around the ? club" over and over makes you a rapper now?...I've never seen or heard any rapper say "Well, when Kings of Crunk revolutionized the game, I just said ? tryin to have skills"...I ain't never seen Lil John on nobody top 5...

I've heard him rap on more occasions than I'd like. The thing is him chanting over and over on songs and making hits sets the precedent that you don't have to have good bars. That ? influenced a generation of wack rappers that do similar ? and got hits word to soulja boy.
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Soulja Boy has never done anything remotely close to soundin like Lil John...And Johns songs ain't set a precedent for ? ...Nobody was tryna copy his song format, maybe his style of production...
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Soulja Boy has never done anything remotely close to soundin like Lil John...And Johns songs ain't set a precedent for ? ...Nobody was tryna copy his song format, maybe his style of production...

where did i say he did something to sound like lil jon? I said lil Jon style of chanting on the song over and over influenced a generation of rappers and I used Soulja Boy for example. He may not make his music to sound like Jon's to the tee, but the one thing that have in common was the repeating of the same words and chanting the same ? and calling it a verse. Waka Flocka is another one that has SOME lil Jon in him.

• A1000MILES
    Options
    Soulja Boy raps in most his verses, cuh, whether it's wack or not he sets out to deliver structured bars of rhymes...John doesn't...Where is the influence?...Matter fact, Soulja Boy has been more influential to the rap game in this millennium than Lil John, and SB is not really poppin right now...Chants that rappers like him and Flocka do are called ad libs...When a DJ like John gives call and response commands, it's not the same thing...
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt read because....

tumblr_m7fzpoFJri1ru3z6uo1_1280.jpg
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Soulja Boy raps in most his verses, cuh, whether it's wack or not he sets out to deliver structured bars of rhymes...John doesn't...Where is the influence?...Matter fact, Soulja Boy has been more influential to the rap game in this millennium than Lil John, and SB is not really poppin right now...Chants that rappers like him and Flocka do are called ad libs...When a DJ like John gives call and response commands, it's not the same thing...

Because Soulja Boy is a rapper that's why he would "rap in most of his verses". You're saying Lil Jon doesn't set out to put structure in his bars? That's even worse if that's true however he has enough songs with him rapping so pardon anyone that would mistake him as a rapper. Kinda like what Swizz Beats does when he does hooks and occasionally spit a verse. If you want I can put up at least 5 songs with Lil Jon attempting to rap.

I know the difference between an adlib and a chant.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ODB didn't suck though.. and nobody glorifies U-? , lol..
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

ODB did suck. He's loved today for 2 reasons, 1 because he was part of Wu Tang, 2 because he passed away. Most of them Wu Tang members was garbage, but got to hide behind Ghostface, Raekwon, and Method Man so therefore Wu Tang as a whole is seen as a force of the most talented ? there was. When in reality when you observes them ? one by one, you'll see just how overrated most of that group is.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »

ODB did suck. He's loved today for 2 reasons, 1 because he was part of Wu Tang, 2 because he passed away. Most of them Wu Tang members was garbage, but got to hide behind Ghostface, Raekwon, and Method Man so therefore Wu Tang as a whole is seen as a force of the most talented ? there was. When in reality when you observes them ? one by one, you'll see just how overrated most of that group is.

Rza and Masta Killa had inconsistent flows but lyrically they can spit

U ? may be the weakest member but he's had his moments

Gza might be lyrically the best member of the Wu

You out your mind if you think Inspectah Deck is wack