The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo, floyd/ward is never gonna happen cuz of weight... but that was some serious shade......

• Art-illery
    Art-illery Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In defense of Andre though, his faith is his personality. If he's comfortable with it, let it be. Mayweather annoys people with his exuberant flashiness, and Ward can annoy people by being a seemingly Bible thumping athlete. Kinda like how Tebow was (which annoyed a lot of people). It looks like being a Christian athlete isn't easy! But I think people would take religion more to heart, rather than Floyd's manufactured flashiness.

Ward came up with Guerrero, and those Northern Californian boxers are kinda like a small community. They all seem to know each other, and they all root for one another. But hopefully, this all will blow over... Once Guerrero tastes the canvas.
  • Art-illery
    Options
    damn why he have to do Ward like that though??? lol

Now that I think about it, why you so called boxing fanatics never put pressure on Ward to move up or down in weight to face tougher opposition. He could have fought Sergio, but no he say he cant fight good at 160.... 8 less pounds ? ? And now he debating the move to 175, please tell me why when he beat everybody at 168. The way yall throw Floyd under the bus Andre should be a cruiser weight by now getting ready to go up to Heavy weight. The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Ward's camp should be paying Floyd for the publicity right now, lol... Medallions out of gold medals this ? is beyond hilarious...

Why doesn't Sergio move up is the better question.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now that I think about it, why you so called boxing fanatics never put pressure on Ward to move up or down in weight to face tougher opposition. He could have fought Sergio, but no he say he cant fight good at 160.... 8 less pounds ? ? And now he debating the move to 175, please tell me why when he beat everybody at 168. The way yall throw Floyd under the bus Andre should be a cruiser weight by now getting ready to go up to Heavy weight. The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Ward's camp should be paying Floyd for the publicity right now, lol... Medallions out of gold medals this ? is beyond hilarious...

4 what ? There's nobody at 175 !

If Sergio wanted the fight, he can go up to 168
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Art-illery wrote: »

Easy answer, he hoping he can still get "chose" by Floyd one day so he dont want to get too heavy...

Ward realistically has no interesting fights outside of a 48 year old B-Hop... Minus 8 pounds you have a world caliber PPV match.

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How much ghost makin fo this fight
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Easy answer, he hoping he can still get "chose" by Floyd one day so he dont want to get too heavy...

Ward realistically has no interesting fights outside of a 48 year old B-Hop... Minus 8 pounds you have a world caliber PPV match.

Ward better hope chavez jr gets his act together
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FLOYD MAYWEATHER: "I HOLD ALL THE CARDS...NO FIGHTER IS GOING TO GIVE ME AN ULTIMATUM"

BT: About a week or so before the fight was officially announced, you said you still hadn't officially decidedwho you would fight next. At one point, you even mentioned on Twitter that Devon Alexander was the frontrunner to land the fight. What made you finally decide on Guerrero?

FM: Just look at the scenario. The position I'm in now, I got here somehow, some way. I didn't just wake up and become pound-for-pound the number one fighter in the world. I didn't put myself there. I didn't write, "Floyd Mayweather, #1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world." I didn't do that. This is something I didn't do. All I did was beat whoever they put in front of me. I wasn't picking and choosing, but once again, it's about working smarter. Listen, I worked hard already early on in my career. Now, it's about being smart, so now I'm at a point to where I hold all the cards. I'm not picking and choosing. Guerrero is my mandatory. I'm the WBC champion, so he's my mandatory. Guerrero has a great story, you know, from what I heard. As far as the things dealing with his wife [cancer]. Now that's a blessing from ? . What him and his wife and his family have been through, and for him to keep going strong, I mean, he has a great story, man. I'm happy that he's able to bounce back from what he's been through, but, you know, I'm just like anybody else. When I get up, I say my prayers. When I go to sleep at night, I get on my knees and say my prayers. I just pray to ? that when I'm in the ring, make sure me and my opponent both be able to live to fight another day. I know that there's been times when I brutally want to hurt this man and this man brutally wants to hurt me, so I'm not going to pray and say, "? , you know what? Let me brutally hurt this man to where he can never fight again." I'm never going to say nothing to that nature. That's just not me. I know this is what I chose to do, and this is what I know how to do.

BT: You know, that's one of the reasons why Guerrero said he's confident that's he's going to beat you. During a conference call, he said that because of everything that has happened to him and his family leading up to now, he knows ? is on his side, so he has faith that he'll come out victorious on May 4.

FM: Man, listen, I mean, like I said before, saying prayers is not a bad thing, you know what I'm saying? Believing in ? is not a bad thing at all, but they get to a point where these fighters be feeling like ? got certain sides and things like that. That's not true. We're all equal under ? 's eyes. Like I said before, these fighters be killing me with all this S.O.G., man. I don't really know Andre Ward. I don't have anything negative or bad to say about Andre Ward. Nothing against him, and like I said before, anybody has a right to call themselves whatever name they want to call themselves. He calls himself S.O.G. If I'm not mistaken, that stands for Son of ? . Last time I checked, we're all ? 's children. When one fighter is facing another fighter, ? don't choose sides. What's going to happen in life is going to happen. Everything is already planned out. Listen man, if you're going to be a pastor, go to church. If you're going to be a reverend, go to church. If you're going to be a boxer, be a boxer. I mean, one minute, they want to say all this S.O.G. stuff, and the next minute, they wanna go put tattoos on they body. I ain't never seen a pastor boxing. I ain't never seen a reverend boxing. I say a prayer that my opponent lives to fight another day and I live to fight another day. You got these guys trying to hurt a man on Saturday and then going to praise the Lord on Sunday.

lmao
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    BT: There's a guy out there by the name of Canelo who recently tried to demand that you pick and choose him for your next fight. Were you surprised to hear that he tried to give you an ultimatum and...

FM: (Cutting in) I'm under contract with Showtime and CBS, so a fighter that I made famous, Canelo, how can he give me an ultimatum? When I was his age, I was champion too. Where he's at compared to where I was at, if you pull up the record, I don't remember everyone I fought by that time, but I fought Genaro Hernandez and Angel Manfredy when Angel Manfredy just gout finished beating Arturo Gatti. I fought solid, top competition. I'm not going to say that he can't fight or he's not a good fighter, but how can I let a 22-year-old kid, who just got into the sport of boxing, give me an ultimatum? And I'm the A side. My contract's with Showtime and CBS. If I fight Canelo, I'm paying Canelo. No one is giving me an ultimatum. So once again, I'm closer to 40 now than 21. If I wanted to pick and choose opponents, should I be able to? Absolutely! I earned my stripes. You don't just get to a power position by not fighting nobody, so if I wanted to pick and choose, so be it, but I'm not. I'm fighting my mandatory. No fighter is going to give me an ultimatum. How can a fighter that ain't never been on pay-per-view without me give an ultimatum?

BT: I can't answer that one. Maybe the Under Armour commercial has really gotten to his head (laughing).

FM: What, the no-speaking commercial?

BT: (Laughing).

FM: Me, myself, I believe in working. If I go down in history, of course I want my name to go down as a legendary fighter, as one of the best fighters that ever lived, but if it don't go down as one of the best fighters that ever lived, I would surely like to go down as one of the smartest fighters. You know, I sit back and I think about my career, and no matter what I do, it's not good enough, so that's why Floyd Mayweather fights for self-preservation. I come first, so Floyd Mayweather's gonna go out there and fight and please Floyd Mayweather first before he pleases anyone else. They're saying I'm hand-picking opponents, but no one is forced to watch me fight. If all these other fighters are better and they're fighting tougher competition, well guess what; I bet our bank accounts don't look the same. You know, tell him [Canelo] to do his own pay-per-view show if he's such a big name. Let's see if he's going to do his own pay-per-view show. I bet he don't. Man, his red-head, freckle-faced ass better just sit back and wait in line. If I feel like choosing him, I'll choose him. If you get a lottery ticket, then you step up to the plate and you get your payday. Right now, Guerrero has his lottery ticket.

Article Link - http://www.fighthype.com/news/article14046.html

The shade is sad and hilarious, but TRUE!!

ROFL @ the Canelo ether

• Bcotton5
    Options

he cant lol, he said he can make 154 though he should fight Canelo and some of the guys there
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

Ward better hope chavez jr gets his act together

they would never let that fight happen lol
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just ordered my tickets to Alvarez-Trout suckaz!!
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my tickets to the Alvarez-trout fight
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ... HOW MUCH MONEY DID YOU WIN OFF UPSETS!? Who you got with Rigo and Nonito?

I cant even put a number on it but I usually make anywhere between of 2-5 times what I bet. I dont bet on every underdog either, just the ones I feel that have a chance at getting the actual upset (for example, Bernard Hopkins vs Tavoris Cloud). I was surprised they had Hopkins as the underdog but I KNEW Cloud didnt have the experience to topple Hopkins and took advantage of those odds. They have Judah as a 4.25/1 underdog. I think Judah has the ability to topple Garcia, but its a whole 'nother story whether or not he uses that ability. At any rate, I like the odds, and I dropped $50 to win a little over $200. As the fight gets closer I may drop another $50 on Judah and if he wins, I collect 4 times what I bet. As far as Rigo vs. Donaire, I'm not sure who is going to win. What I do know is Rigo is a 15/8 underdog so I may drop $100 on him to win $287. We'll see. This is just a side hobby though because I enjoy the sport so much Lol. I play poker for the most part to get my gambling fix.

• Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    Got my tickets to the Alvarez-trout fight

Lol damn just had to outdo me huh? I ordered mine, you GOT yours...
  • Art-illery
    Options
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=63331#ixzz2NU1nrbOA
    This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Andre Ward's Manager Drops Bombs on Floyd Mayweather
    Posted by: Boxing Clever on 3/13/2013 .

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

In response to an earlier story on BoxingScene.com , where WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. took several shots at WBC/WBA super middleweight king Andre Ward - James Prince, the current manager of Ward and ex-manager of Mayweather, had plenty to say in response to Floyd Jr.'s unexpected verbal jabs.

"First of all I don't know what demonic spirit jumped into Mayweather causing him to try to assassinate my fighter's character because he is a fighter and a man of ? - as if it's a sin to worship ? and fight. It goes to show his ignorance in the word of ? because there are prophets throughout the Bible that were fighters, warriors, hit men - and none of them were punks. So for Mayweather to attack a man's spirituality because he has been friends with Robert Guerrero since they were kids and he's riding with him is just an excuse to voice his haterism that's really in his heart for me and Dre," Prince said in a statement to BoxingScene.com.

"Dre never had nothing but respect for this dude, but if he thinks there is something weak about Andre Ward - then he can eat some steaks and put some weight on his ass so Dre can whip it. Not knocking Floyd Mayweather, but he knows he couldn't draw flies to a dumpster until he beat Oscar De la Hoya. I know this is true because I was managing him when he couldn't sell out his hometown of Grand Rapids or the San Francisco Auditorium, which only seats 6,000 people."

"By the way, any man that represented the United States of America and won a gold medal is not only known, but appreciated by all Americans - something Floyd didn't accomplish. And that invitation on his blueprint for knowing how to get millions - we pass on that, because we know how to make millions, but more importantly, how to keep it."

"And yeah, I see how he's trying to befriend Broner so he won't be faced with Broner gettin' in his ass. But at the end of the day, he would have a problem with Broner because Broner is a real one. And Floyd knows, like I know, that he's uncomfortable with real men around him."
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J Prince got a lot of nerve calling some one a hater, his dealings in boxing are very shaky. Maybe he mad he aint in Floyd's pockets no more
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chi-guy wrote: »
    J Prince got a lot of nerve calling some one a hater, his dealings in boxing are very shaky. Maybe he mad he aint in Floyd's pockets no more

just defending his mans against an unprovoked verbal attack......see nothing wrong with it
  • chi-guy
    Options

just defending his mans against an unprovoked verbal attack......see nothing wrong with it

Neither do I
  • Art-illery
    Options

Probably. The irony of his statements make him look more hypocritical if you think about it. Yeah Floyd wasn't a big draw back then; but if you were his manager at the time (J Prince), then it proves the point of the manager poorly promoting fighters. That just proved Floyd's point even further... Andre Ward's career is running at a slow pace for a boxer that is so talented. Andre needs to make a big move soon, or his limelight prime will fly right by him. That's all Floyd was trying to say. Floyd wasn't knocking on the man personally, nor his skill level. Just how his career is being ran.

When Floyd was on the come up, he faced the risk of his career running stagnant more than Ward. He was with a promoter that didn't want to sell him the fights that Floyd deserved. We shouldn't forget that Bob Arum once said that "Black boxers couldn't draw flies to ? ." That's why Arum didn't want to put Floyd in the ring with Cotto. Arum has a track record of dissing his own boxers by not selling the numbers he wanted to see. Like the ? he said about Guillermo Rigondeaux only drawing people if Raul Castro walked out to the ring with him. Cubans in America don't even like the Castro family. It ain't even about boxing ability with Arum, it's about how many seats you fill.

Personally, i think Adrien Broner is a good fighter, a stand-up guy; but he markets himself as a buffoon... That dancing ? he did at the Bogere/Abril fight was some coonery... But Adrien Broner's name is in the mouths of casual boxing fans more than Andre Ward's. You even got HBO grooming him to be the next "PPV king", ALLOWING him to take ? fights. That's pretty damn impressive for someone in his early 20s.

• chi-guy
    edited March 2013
    Options

Probably. The irony of his statements make him look more hypocritical if you think about it. Yeah Floyd wasn't a big draw back then; but if you were his manager at the time (J Prince), then it proves the point of the manager poorly promoting fighters. That just proved Floyd's point even further... Andre Ward's career is running at a slow pace for a boxer that is so talented. Andre needs to make a big move soon, or his limelight prime will fly right by him. That's all Floyd was trying to say. Floyd wasn't knocking on the man personally, nor his skill level. Just how his career is being ran.

When Floyd was on the come up, he faced the risk of his career running stagnant more than Ward. He was with a promoter that didn't want to sell him the fights that Floyd deserved. We shouldn't forget that Bob Arum once said that "Black boxers couldn't draw flies to ? ." That's why Arum didn't want to put Floyd in the ring with Cotto. Arum has a track record of dissing his own boxers by not selling the numbers he wanted to see. Like the ? he said about Guillermo Rigondeaux only drawing people if Raul Castro walked out to the ring with him. Cubans in America don't even like the Castro family. It ain't even about boxing ability with Arum, it's about how many seats you fill.

Personally, i think Adrien Broner is a good fighter, a stand-up guy; but he markets himself as a buffoon... That dancing ? he did at the Bogere/Abril fight was some coonery... But Adrien Broner's name is in the mouths of casual boxing fans more than Andre Ward's. You even got HBO grooming him to be the next "PPV king", ALLOWING him to take ? fights. That's pretty damn impressive for someone in his early 20s.

I see where J Prince was coming from and what he was trying to say. That's your fighter, you eating off this dude's career so of course you gon ride on anybody that you deem disrespectful towards him. And I don't have any issues with him getting back at Floyd but when you look at his track record as a boxing manager. What has he done?

Floyd Sr told Floyd Jr not to do business with J Prince and he did anyway. Their business split is supposed to be about j Prince taking too much money from Floyd. There's numerous stories about him ripping off these boxers. And who has he really helped? He did nothing really for Winky and Shane and other fighters. It's like he's just there. He's never had or helped any boxer who's name he attaches himself too be a draw so he should cut that ? out

In my view Ward is the #2 P4P right now and when Floyd retires he will take over, along with Broner. But if he fights anywhere outside Oakland, he aint moving no tix like that. As far as Arum, he's POS. He's forever looking at the financial standpoint instead of the boxing standpoint. He'a promoter so he got's to make money but look at all the fights not being made because he wants to keep the cash in Top Rank. I think his run is dwindling a bit. Top Rank has no fighters really at 140, 147, and 154
  • chi-guy
    Options
    http://www.fighthype.com/news/article14057.html
    ANDRE WARD RESPONDS TO MAYWEATHER: "HE CAN PICK UP THE PHONE AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT LIKE MEN"
    By Ben Thompson | March 13, 2013

"If Floyd Mayweather has a problem with me or something that I said, he can pick up the phone and we can talk about it like men," stated undefeated super middleweight king Andre Ward, who kept it short and sweet when responding to recent comments made about him by undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather. In a recent interview, Mayweather took a number of shots at Ward, questioning, among other things, his ability to sell tickets outside of his hometown of Oakland, California.

Mayweather's comments were likely motivated by the fact that Ward recently voiced his support for long-time friend and fellow Bay Area native Robert Guerrero, who will obviously try to dethrone the pound-for-pound king on May 4. Instead of engaging in a public war of words, Ward let it be known that he stands by his comments, as well as his friend, and if Mayweather has any issues that need to be addressed, he's more than willing to discuss them in private over the phone.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why does ward need j prince, isn't he under gary shaw?