How Can Nerds Call Rakim The ? MC??

Options
Neva_Change
Neva_Change Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Reason
His catalogue is weak, his voice is monotone, his subject matter is badly limited, his delivery is one-dimensional, he hasn't been relevant for the last 20 years, and his latest album went triple dust. Plus it was wack. I respect what he did in the 80's & his ? was hot from 87-90... but Ra fell off for 2 decades ago because he can't adapt with the times. His one good solo album was 18th letter, which came out in 97. That's one hot album every 13 year average. ? mcs are supposed to dominate for a long period of time and stay the best. Rakim hasn't and others have surpassed him... that's why he's not the ? mc. The truth hurts.

Comments

• Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    His catalogue is weak, his voice is monotone, his subject matter is badly limited, his delivery is one-dimensional, he hasn't been relevant for the last 20 years, and his latest album went triple dust. Plus it was wack. I respect what he did in the 80's & his ? was hot from 87-90... but Ra fell off for 2 decades ago because he can't adapt with the times. His one good solo album was 18th letter, which came out in 97. That's one hot album every 13 year average. ? mcs are supposed to dominate for a long period of time and stay the best. Rakim hasn't and others have surpassed him... that's why he's not the ? mc. The truth hurts.

how can you call rakim one dimensional and saying he has flat subject matter?
    joell ortiz has limited subject matter and so does drake but thats not taking away from
    thier skill, the reason why he is the ? MC is because he gave birth to a lot of the things used in standard hip hop
    in short he revolutionized it, making it a normal thing to use internal ryhme, etc

and how are you calling people nerds? youre on a forum! just like everyone else
    you think your some supafly fella who lives a 'cool' lifestyle but you still bother to come on the computer to argue
    GTFOH and go bump so YM you ? frat boy.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    shut.the.? .up
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can see both sides of this. I'm not a fan of Rakim, but at the same time, I know he pioneered a certain style. And besides, just 'cause a few of us on here don't listen to 'em, doesn't mean much, simply because of how many artists put him in there top 5. And i happened to believe their opinion's are very valid (which happens to be the same argument I make whenever someone says Em is no good).
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i'm the R. the A. to the K.I.M. and if i wasn't, then why would i say I am?
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    rakim hasnt come out with an album since dr dre hasnt come out with detox thats a long ass time,of course his catalogue is going to be WEAK

New York Rappers are failing like hell bruh and they claiming they the best...but they aint proving it
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dissing Rakim ? seriously? no like seriously ? How old are you 14 ?
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Rakim is a ok,rapper he hasnt proven to me how dope he is
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited April 2010
    Options
    is this the return of blackabar or something???
  • cubaroid
    cubaroid Members Posts: 483
    edited April 2010
    Options
    80% rappers are nerds now?
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you're older than 18 and use the term "nerd" as an insult, you're losing at life and prolly ain't gonna be ? in the future
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Rakim is a ok,rapper he hasnt proven to me how dope he is

he's proven how dope he is by having your favorite rapper quoting him in all they songs. listen to his greatest hits and count how many lines ? done bit off the ? .
  • aforceof1
    aforceof1 Members Posts: 1
    Options
    The term "? emcee" in Ra's case is a reference to more than just lyrical ability. As a member of the 5 percent nation it is his belief that all black men are gods. That's why he's also known as Rakim Allah. That being said, the man is still "one of the deepest on the mic since Adidas"
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't concur with this thread at all.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aforceof1 wrote: »
    The term "? emcee" in Ra's case is a reference to more than just lyrical ability. As a member of the 5 percent nation it is his belief that all black men are gods. That's why he's also known as Rakim Allah. That being said, the man is still "one of the deepest on the mic since Adidas"

This...

However...I always liked Kane better...
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    naw guru on the other hand trash day special he so boring
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can peole call Jay Z one of the goats if his best album came out in 2001?
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna know why a ? with one post decided to up some ? from 2010...

• smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anybody talkin down on Rakim needa sit they monkey ass down somewhere. young dumb ? make me sick.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    check out the Watcher 2 by Jay Z feat. Rakim and if u dont think Ra didnt murder that ? then I cant take your opinion seriously.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    people who bump old ass threads need to be banned.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim is one of the G.O.A.T.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is Rakim's last album?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You had to be there. If you don't remember hearing "Follow The Leader" or "Let the Rhythm Hit Em" for the first time then its probably incomprehensible.

But d/l the song "Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em" and come back and call Rakim wack. That song is where Nas got his style from.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, you would have had to be familiar with what rap was like before Rakim came along. Run DMC was the biggest group and their style was the opposite of Rakim. They used to yell and have very simple rhyme schemes. Rakim had a smooth delivery and used witty metaphors. Rakim made every MC at the time step their game up a few notches. Again, you really had to be there.

Also, "Eric B is President" was a club anthem like "One More Chance (Remix)" or "In Da Club". When that song used to come on everybody would crowd the dancefloor.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people who bump old ass threads need to be banned.

I agree