The Documentary vs Good kid m.A.A.d City

Options

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only things The Documentary has over GKMC are production and a Nate Dogg hook
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only things The Documentary has over GKMC are production and a Nate Dogg hook

Word, Idk How L Dot didn't ? with No Dre Beats at all for this one smh
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »

They weren't needed
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »

How much would a Dre beat cost though?.. and maybe the beats that were available to him didn't really fit the album..
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think a Dre beat would've fit a song like backstreet freestyle better Imo. But Album was still good without any. I just wasn't really feeling the production his lyrics Were what made the album Great
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Documentary...where's the poll?
  • colton
    colton Members Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it depends on your criteria for which album is better I like The Documentary better production wise, but lyrically, content wise, storytelling I'm rockin' with GKMC
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Documentary is name drop heavy but not in the ? riding way he's on now but GKMC was structured so much better. They both are classics though (Im still bumpin GKMC. It never gets old.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Documentary had more hype when it came out. All ? was bumpin it in school
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good kid, maad city

• theycallmeboom
    theycallmeboom Members Posts: 107
    Options
    all this made me do was go, and listen to The documentary. Damn its real tough; both albums have completely different vibes. Both classics in my opinion of course.

I can't compare em tho they too different for me it would be like comparing NBA 2k to NBA Streets, nah b I see what ya tryin to say, but nah they doing two completely different things.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    ohhhla wrote: »
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Are we taking points off for the amount of help 50 gave Game on the album?

No, cause Kendrick had MAAD help too...

Who gave Kendrick the songs?

Ali, Soul, and a bunch of other ? helped make that album what it is...Of course it was his brain child, but it was a collaborative effort....

Giving concepts =/= Giving actual finished songs to another rapper.

Two totally different ? .

Stop believing Curtis, b...? sell "songs" wit the beat and hook ready ery day, and then the rappers that get them go from there...It's not like 50 was sittin there teachin Game how to rap...

Yep, like how Eminem and D-12 had "In Da Club" and also Rakim. Eminem wrote at least half of the hook that 50 used. 50 can tell you the sky is green and ? will just eat it up. When 50 say he wrote them what he really means is that he had the songs but decided not to use them or whatever, maybe Interscope wanted to shop 'em to the new guy, and then Game got them. It wasn't that he literally wrote Game's parts. That is a regular thing in the industry.

As far as the question, years ago i'd prolly said Documentary, but now? Good Kid. One thing i used to say was that Game's album would sound outdated in a few years just bcuz of the "right now" references and namedrops, and to me it did. Documentary is prolly the better "ride to" album cuz of the production but GKMC is a better album as far as lyricism, story etc.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is debatable but its to early to compare these 2 The Doc been out for 8 years GKMC been out for 5 months let it run its course first.

Cause the documentary had a bigger impact at the time when it came out compared to GKMC

Both are classics
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Production and games flow on documentary are crazy. Love that Documentary track.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Cause the documentary had a bigger impact at the time when it came out compared to GKMC

I agree its kinda early to be making this comparison, but I think that GKMC has a chance to make just as much if not more of an impact than Documentary did..
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    _Menace_ wrote: »

I agree its kinda early to be making this comparison, but I think that GKMC has a chance to make just as much if not more of an impact than Documentary did..

I think the impact is different tho. Documentary's impact was more on the popularity while GKMC is more on the artistry. Documentary's impact was basically a popular album that gave the west coast a look. GKMC's impact will prolly be the way some rappers deliver their music or whatever.
  • Dazed10
    Dazed10 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Options
    Both are good albums but Im taking The Documentary on this one.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If i die my ? ? it did a song with mary blige my ?
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The documentary
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    GKMC and it's not even close. Documentary was basically production driven. Game's lyrics were basic as ? and to be honest, ? is still evolving as MC. Kendrick came with fully structured album that had all elements perfectly completing one another - theme, lyrics, production. This is the album that truly stands out and brings a breathe of a fresh air to the game, the way classic De La Soul and Fugees albums did. Documentary hasn't achieved that.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't decide, smh