edited March 2013
    Options
    6. They Introduced Important New Talent to the Game

where the ? is this new talent?

and if you say hell rell I'll have illBot clap your IP address in a instant
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The dips is the greatest movement in rap IMO, over The Unit and Wu... Record sales don't even tell the story on the impact Cam and Crew had on the game... I can take it back to the Rap City days when I was in middle Sokol seeing my ? Cam and the Dips rip the booth rockin the Mitchell N Ness throwbacks counting money poppin shut... The aura Cam had made for himself and that whole crew was hardbody n/h... They had every1 on umad.com downloading the back like cooked cracks... Jules Santana was a star and if he played the drake role to Cams Wayne they mite have never fell off to begin... The Diplomats were 1 of the best thing that happened to rap in 2000s, tell me I'm lying...
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had ur own grandparents down with the DIP!
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can always tell when Complex has a crush on someone.

In essence. this list is saying "Nothing they did mattered"

and for once, I agree
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Diplomats were 1 of the best thing that happened to rap in 2000s, tell me I'm lying...

You're lying.

oh & define "everyone" lol

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Dipset had the last strong hold on NY before the south took over.

I didn't always love their music , but I did respect their movement
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can always tell when Complex has a crush on someone.

In essence. this list is saying "Nothing they did mattered"

and for once, I agree

This confused me.I guess I need to read the list.I thought they were giving them credit?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dipset influence and legacy is so ? over-exaggerated, those mfs were barely gold artist and DI sounds like knock off Kanye/Just Blaze beats.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do agree they did change fashion, Wayne clearly bit Juelz Santana biker look back in the day.
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    killaguwop wrote: »
    agree they made the best movement out of new york. they took the gang culture and made NYC style.who other than them made that ? .
    What's so good about gangs?..

nothin good but what popularize the west coast hiphop scene other than the locs and Bs?.
    what made cash money,brick squad flame up and soo wooh?

it's dipset ? anyway the NYC bloods and sex money murda in jersey were the most notorious and violent and they are heavy affiliated with dipset.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The article is one big stretch. Complex is running out of ideas,
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Dipset influence and legacy is so ? over-exaggerated, those mfs were barely gold artist and DI sounds like knock off Kanye/Just Blaze beats.

This.

I don't understand why people think Dipset was so important. There was like a year where they were really big. Then a few years where they were still pretty popular. And then no one cared about them anymore. Even when they were popular, it's not like they were introducing all these game changing trends though. I think the most significant thing they ever did was have a bunch of sheepish ass dudes wearing pink for a year, and that's not exactly something to brag about.

And I really don't understand how people compare them to the Wu. Like or hate the Wu, it's really hard to question their impact. They were instrumental in bringing HipHop attention back to NYC. These younger dudes don't see me to understand that. When the Wu came out, people were still heavy on West Coast ? . They and a couple others like Mobb Deep were the ones that brought it back east.

The Wu had everyone putting movie samples on their albums.
    The Wu jumpstarted the drug rap fad.
    The Wu had everyone coming up with 50 different nicknames.
    The Wu started the supergroup trend.

It's funny. Go look at the "What They Do" video by the Roots. They are basically attacking a bunch of industry cliches. The crazy thing about it, is pretty much every one of those things started popping off with Enter the 36, then a whole bunch of people started doing it. You can like Dipset better than the Wu. That's cool, but you're an idiot if you honestly think they had a bigger impact on Hip Hop.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one said they had sa bigger impact than Wu but if you don't see Dipset's influence in todays rap you're blind
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    No one said they had sa bigger impact than Wu but if you don't see Dipset's influence in todays rap you're blind

Oh really...
    The dips is the greatest movement in rap IMO, over The Unit and Wu...

If you're a greater movement doesn't that mean you've had a bigger impact? And I'm not saying that the Dip didn't have their time to shine and influence the game, but that influence was fleeting. People don't even talk about Dipset anymore. There is nothing you can look at in the game right now that still a mainstay and say "Dipset did that."
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh really...

If you're a greater movement doesn't that mean you've had a bigger impact? And I'm not saying that the Dip didn't have their time to shine and influence the game, but that influence was fleeting. People don't even talk about Dipset anymore. There is nothing you can look at in the game right now that still a mainstay and say "Dipset did that."

wut

you don't hear or see the Dipset/affiliate influence in the new generation of rappers?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Oh really...

wut

you don't hear or see the Dipset/affiliate influence in the new generation of rappers?

Nope, but to be fair, outside of Kendrick Lamar, I don't listen to the new generation of rappers. But if you going to credit Dipset with fathering these wack ass ? out now, go for it. That only hurts their legacy as far as I'm concerned.
  • hefty-vulturestatus
    hefty-vulturestatus Members Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good list but far to short. It should be 50 ways.

11. Being the first to bring REAL science to hip hop. Cam'ron in an old interview on allhiphop "I'm working with a team of scientists to patent my own shade of purple".

12. Taking ? talking to new heights.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNVm8xLHETs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8WsAGoGg4

13. Boosting sales of random products just by mentioning them.

Cam'ron Pump Wet-Wipes Stock

Kimberly-Clark Corporation (Kimberly-Clark) is a health and hygiene company engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of a range of health and hygiene products worldwide. When asked about the recent climb in the price of the company's shares, Spokesperson Bill Castlemont commented, "It has come to our attention that a New York hip-hop artist by the name of "Cam'ron" has apparently been endorsing our Wet-Wipes product recently. He has not been compensated for his contribution, but any publicity that garners our organization exposure is welcome. I would like to publicly thank Mr. "Cam'ron" on behalf of the Kimberly-Clark Corporation"

14. Cam'ron being the first rapper with a cologne.

15. Cam'ron being the first and only rapper to shut down Bill O'Reilly (sorry Lupe)

16. Popularizing the phrase "you mad"

17. Popularizing the phrase "AYE"

18. Popularizing shouting "BALLIN"

19. The ballin fadaway dance

20. Popularizing the phrase "don't play goonie goo goo"

21. Introducing the Max Biggavelli wave

22. Cam'ron being the first rapper to have his own "mini me" (JR Writer)

23. Shutting down Jay-Z's sandals and jeans movement before it could get started

24. Dipset the movie series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIl49aFYpXo

25. Freekey Zeekey breaking new ground for a rapper by promoting a bone marrow drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGIxFWNNpqw

26. Introducing the phrase "pardon my back"
    start @ 8.40:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3HpbaUDGg

27. Cam'ron being the only rapper to single handedly defeat Nas, Jay and 50 in battle. You know it's true even if you don't want to admit it.

28. Getting computers putin' - if I remember correctly the IC crashed when Cam's Jay diss dropped.

29. Jim Jones being the only rapper to go gold on Koch.

30. Dipset protecting the kids with their "To Catch a Predator" style DVD. This hasn't came out, apparently due to legal issues, but when it does come out the world will be a better place.

31. Entertaining the same kids whose innocence they are protecting.

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/apple/video.php?v=wshhk5M0t4S7YIRaCmM9

32. Popularizing the phrase "ya smell me?"

33. Keeping the memory of Big L alive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlUb_gyNyI8

34. Popularizing the "stop snitching" movement

35. Popularizing rappers referring to themselves as a "movement"

36. Popularizing see through shoes. JR Writer "new airs with the / see-through fronts,chump(why?) so you can see me diplomat socks ha"

... I have to go, but feel free to add on.
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    D_Rap_Scholar Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The dips is the greatest movement in rap IMO, over The Unit and Wu... Record sales don't even tell the story on the impact Cam and Crew had on the game... I can take it back to the Rap City days when I was in middle Sokol seeing my ? Cam and the Dips rip the booth rockin the Mitchell N Ness throwbacks counting money poppin shut... The aura Cam had made for himself and that whole crew was hardbody n/h... They had every1 on umad.com downloading the back like cooked cracks... Jules Santana was a star and if he played the drake role to Cams Wayne they mite have never fell off to begin... The Diplomats were 1 of the best thing that happened to rap in 2000s, tell me I'm lying...

I think if you're gonna call a group the greatest movement in hip hop, you have to have some timeless music to back it up. Not trying to take away their shine, but musically, Dipset hasn't done anything that would stand up to ATCQ, De La Soul, Wu, NWA, Boot Camp Clik, Hieroglyphics, Juice Crew, The Roots, and so many more.

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Next in Complex:

10 Ways Suge Knight is a Better Businessman than P. Diddy
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can give these cats credit for a lot of wats going on today.....for better or worse.....you see some of thier influence in rappers from all over
  • Gee_has_hot_picture
    Gee_has_hot_picture Members Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    who the ? made this Stan list, fan girl ? lol

? dipset wasnt that big, ill pay you with a reality check, they only went gold once, other album flopped.

• PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    Options
    Cam went plat.
    Juelz went gold.
    get the facts right
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regarding Dipset vs 50 influencing Mixtapes:

It was 2002, Cam had come back after hiatus, lookin skinny n ? , signed w/ the Roc and had two huge anthems:

Oh Boy
    It held the number one spot on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles for five weeks straight. It also held the number one spot on the Hot Rap Tracks. It peaked at number four on The Billboard Hot 100.

Hey Ma
    "Hey Ma" followed that song's success, peaking at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100, his highest peak on that chart, while also reaching the top 10 on several other Billboard charts.

-WHILE he had these hits, both 50 and Dipset were droppin mixtapes. So how would 50 be more influencial when he wasnt even on, vs Cam havin 2 top 5 hits????

Oh, and then there's this:

50's influencial, great mixtape:
    50 Cent is the Future: #6 "G-Unit Soldiers" Sample: "Losin' Weight" by Cam'ron featuring Prodigy

Yea, I'll wait.

50 pioneered being an unknown artist and building buzz via mixtapes,

But Cam/Dipset pioneered 1) Having an already established artist put his crew on via mixtapes with them. Sound familiar? G-Unit?, and 2) He pioneered droppin mixtapes when you're already ON. Lil Wayne took this style, re-branded himself, and now YMCMB runs rap unfortunately. Cam is to Lil Wayne what Dipset is to YMCMB

50 and Lil Wayne just did it better, but Cam/Dipset were indeed first.