Options
Kid Dynasty
Kid Dynasty Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭
Damn this sucks

Comments

• Kid Dynasty
    Options
    Film critic Roger Ebert was not only the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize, but one of the only critics known to the general public, thanks to his long-running movie review shows such as “Sneak Previews” and his thumbs-up or down movie reviews. He died Thursday of complications from cancer, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was 70.

The avuncular champion of movies big and small had been fighting thyroid cancer since 2002, and in the past few years spoke with a voice machine. The latest show to bear his name is the PBS series “Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies,” in which he briefly appears on camera with a prosthetic chin though other critics shoulder reviewing duties.

He apperared on the Oprah Winfrey show in 2010, speaking with a machine that tailored his speech more closely to his natural voice.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will take this as a heads up to avoid all my regular movie sites today since they'll just be sucking their dead hero's ? . Stopped giving a ? about Ebert’s opinion many years ago and rarely if ever agreed with his ? reviews. Nevertheless R.I.P. to a man who left a mark on all movie fans of the past 30 years whether they’d like to admit it or not.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never paid attention to his reviews
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always ? with his reviews. He was one of the few film critics who would give Black movies fair to high praise when white people just didn't get them. I...think he had a Black wife too?
  • Kid Dynasty
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I always ? with his reviews. He was one of the few film critics who would give Black movies fair to high praise when white people just didn't get them. I...think he had a Black wife too?
    Yep he did
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i used to watch their show as kid..

RIP..
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup grew up on Siskel and Ebert ..Ebert held on pretty long

RIP
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP i used to watch his show also. nbc I think
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Chicago legend, RIP
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ebert was one of the many white men who has ? Oprah #fact
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.I.P.

Yea he was always fair to black films and filmmakers, plus he used to dish out pure ether to wack movies

"I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than The Brown Bunny."

"? Love wasn't written and directed, it was committed. Here is a film so pitiful, it doesn't rise to the level of badness. It is hopelessly incompetent... I am not certain that anyone involved has ever seen a movie, or knows what one is"

"Mad Dog Time is the first movie I have seen that does not improve on the sight of a blank screen viewed for the same length of time. Oh, I've seen bad movies before. But they usually made me care about how bad they were. Watching Mad Dog Time is like waiting for the bus in a city where you're not sure they have a bus line.."
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had to google him as had no idea who he is. Rip to him though
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Siskel and Ebert were the movie critics of the people. RIP
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    R.I.P.

Yea he was always fair to black films and filmmakers, plus he used to dish out pure ether to wack movies

"I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than The Brown Bunny."

"? Love wasn't written and directed, it was committed. Here is a film so pitiful, it doesn't rise to the level of badness. It is hopelessly incompetent... I am not certain that anyone involved has ever seen a movie, or knows what one is"

"Mad Dog Time is the first movie I have seen that does not improve on the sight of a blank screen viewed for the same length of time. Oh, I've seen bad movies before. But they usually made me care about how bad they were. Watching Mad Dog Time is like waiting for the bus in a city where you're not sure they have a bus line.."

Damn, I'd quit making movies and go work at the grocery store if I got hit with lines like that.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP movie reviews will never be the same without him
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah though I can’t say I was a fan and there was another death in entertainment media yesterday that hit me way way harder than Ebert’s ever did. That was the death of Mr. Carmine Infantino who’s work really did have quite a lasting effect in my life. I will give Ebert one thing though. He was the one mainstream white movie critic who had no problem loving low brow black entertainment and admitting to it. Possibly the only writer about movies on his level who completely understood the genius of ? CALL. So credit where credit is due.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Hurt to hear this. RIP to the GOAT.
    focus wrote: »
    I always ? with his reviews. He was one of the few film critics who would give Black movies fair to high praise when white people just didn't get them.

He was the ONLY white movie critic to really *GET* Do the Right Thing.

I have been given only a few filmgoing experiences in my life to equal the first time I saw ``Do the Right Thing.'' Most movies remain up there on the screen. Only a few ? your soul. In May of 1989 I walked out of the screening at the Cannes Film Festival with tears in my eyes.

^^^^ - iirc he said that was the only time he ever cried while watching a film for review
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't his wife black?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT Movie Critic And A Great Chicagoan...I Used To Live And Die By His Reviews...If I Was On The Fence About Going To Catch A Flick His Criticisms Would Sway Me In The Direction...Even Though I Didnt Always Agree With All His ?
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was the most popular of film critics to my knowledge . .

RIP