New XBox to be "always online" confirmed

Options
KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in IllGaming
Kotaku reported it again, and everyone complained... then Microsoft studios "creative directive" (ie. limp wrist) caught feelings and tried defending it on twitter, pretty much confirming it.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

Comments

• joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Three minutes to live.

Adding to the pile of the next Xbox's always-online rumors, anonymous sources state that the next-gen console will suspend games or applications if not connected to the internet.

Speaking to Kotaku, an unspecified source stated, "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time -- currently three minutes, if I remember correctly -- the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Other sources indicated that this requirement may change over time, while others are said to have no knowledge about a constant internet connection for the console.

SimCity's disastrous launch by way of an always-online requirement served as a compelling argument against this implementation for consoles, but Microsoft appears adamant about a constant connection.

IGN learned recently that the next Xbox will apparently require all games to be installed before use. Do these prohibitive measures make you wary about the new hardware? Let us know in the comments below.

For all of the rumors and speculation about the next Xbox, check out IGN's Xbox 720 wiki.

Source: Kotaku
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    "Manveer" works for Bioware (mass effect) and asked MS not to make it always online... heres MS's response.
    jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png
    OEY5yp8.jpg

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dead at ? or war
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? add that ? to the thread 3 or 4 topics down
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    sapo614 wrote: »

? you lil ? ? who are you? I will slap you like a hoe.
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sapo614 wrote: »

? you lil ? ? who are you? I will slap you like a hoe.

tumblr_m8fu3etzdf1r6v7x1.gif
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Microsoft is ? up!
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not coppin this.....
  • Mantequilla
    Mantequilla Members Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They aren't even trying to compete with Sony anymore. RIP
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    If this is true, then the arrogance of this guy is worse than Sony at the PS3 launch.

Expect a retraction or an apology in a day or two.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I havent played one console or companies product since I was a kid and got the N64. Thank you Microsoft for saving me money and making me nostalgic.
  • ex-soldier
    ex-soldier Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the 720 requires internet to function, you are essentially renting everything. You pay $60 for a game, plus DLC.....you should be able to play it whenever the hell you want. If servers are down on Microsoft side....sorry, no gaming....internet is down....sorry no gaming....support is pulled in the future...sorry no gaming.

Not only that, but if they are making it a true media hub with the tv tuner and all that....it means if you set it up to be your one device for the living room and your internet goes down, your living room goes down with it. No streaming Netflix/Hulu/whatever, no disc movies, no games, no cable. You would have to unplug the cable from the xbox and put it back into your tv just to watch cable.

Just under half of the Xbox 360 owners out there aren't connected to Live and that's before you factor in people who have multiple accounts and families who use 1 xbox but have 5 different profiles connected to Live.

Most people may be connected when they play a console, but when the internet goes down....it doesn't turn into a completely useless brick that cost $400
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope someone hacks the 720 and puts down their Internet like we had happen.

? would be hilarious.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL if this has ANY validity to it.. the days of xbox is OVER!!!
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Not a single ? is given. Will be copping it regardless.

They should however put a sign on the box that says broke ? beware.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well guess I'm copping a ps4
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who is he? That guy is such a ? . Type of dude I would stomp with ? out after a discussion.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's a feeling catching ? . Quad Brotherhood Cometh.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    lol ............. Orthy has protected his tweets now
  • joshuaboy
    Options

Microsoft Creative Director on Always Online: 'Deal With It'
    Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to always-online.

In the wake of new purported details about the next Xbox's always-online requirement, Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to the prospect.

Adam Orth's tweets are now protected, but a poster on NeoGAF saved them for posterity:

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

Orth also got into a minor spat with BioWare employee Manheer Heir. "Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always-on' console," he said. "Every device is now 'always-on'. #dealwithit"

dealwithit.jpg

Orth has been with Microsoft for just over a year, working on an unannounced project (which can be safely assumed to be a Nextbox title). Previously he has been Creative Lead/Creative Director at LucasArts and a Senior Designer at PopCap.

Naturally this is Orth's personal opinion and shouldn't be taken as proof that the next Xbox definitely has an always-online requirement, but the evidence is mounting. IGN's Xbox 720 wiki has everything that's currently known about the next Microsoft console.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This fool about to be fired.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Feelings. Nothing more than feelings."
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My XBOX is already "always online". *shrugs*