Can Biggie be considered the greatest for making 2 albums?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? act like Big was light years ahead of Pac in lyricism when he wasnt.

and agreed with Tomp on him and his lyrics but ya'll ? .lol

ahh well.

lol, ? please! I'd like to see Pac murk a Premo beat like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es-B_PCFyDc

OR THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLom-m1xVQ

Pac was on some deep ? , but he wasn't ? with emceeing all that much...not like this^^

SMFH im not even

think whatever you wanna think pal
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    D_Rap_Scholar Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    LOL @ this turning into a Tupac vs. Biggie thread
    Yall ? act like Big was light years ahead of Pac in lyricism when he wasnt.

and agreed with Tomp on him and his lyrics but ya'll ? .lol

ahh well.

lol, ? please! I'd like to see Pac murk a Premo beat like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es-B_PCFyDc

OR THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLom-m1xVQ

Pac was on some deep ? , but he wasn't ? with emceeing all that much...not like this^^

SMFH im not even

think whatever you wanna think pal

I don't even see how this is up for debate. Pac was the consummate song-writer who knew how to connect to his listeners. He knew how to write compelling, thought-provoking songs and had a forceful presence on the mic. I give him credit for being a gifted artist. But when it came to wordplay, wit, and dexterity, he wasn't down with that emceeing ? . It's not like he was trying to impress ? with his rhyming skills.

Lemme break the distinction....

Emceeing - The primary goal of emceeing is to demonstrate your competence and prowess on the mic. So any rapper who truly wants to be an emcee has to impress an audience with their rapping abilities, and that means drawing on a wide array of skills and personal talents (lyrical dexterity, breathe control, rhythmic flow, witty puns, clever punchlines and metaphors, charisma and attitude). The greatest emcees are those who amaze their listeners and outdo, outwit, out-brag, and outperform their rivals; the greatest emcee is one whose skills are so legendary, that they inspire their fellow emcees to constantly strive for better. (examples of emceeing include Rakim on Microphone Fiend, Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane on Five Minutes of Death, Canibus on The C-Quel, Big Pun on Dream Shatterer)

Rap artistry, - Rap Artists, on the other hand, are those who aspire to do more than just impress people with their attitude or rhymes – they want to paint a picture using their words. Thus, their primary goal is to articulate an image or an idea, using their words as an expression of thought. Sometimes the goal is to narrate a story by appealing to their audience’s sense of imagination– other times, it might be to inspire and motivate the listener, by appealing to their sense of emotion. Like an emcee, the rap artist still has to rely on a technical craft – but in addition to their rapping skills, they must make use of their emotion and creativity. At their purest form, rap artists are storytellers and poets who can compose a song that will take their listeners to a whole different state-of-mind (examples of rap artistry include Pigeon by Cannibal Ox - which relies on the symbolism of birds to present an allegory of life in the ghetto)

You convinced?
  • Undergroundraplegend
    edited April 2013
    Options
    hey your the one who turned into a Tupac debate bringing him in here when it was about Big.

and Lol at your little thing here.

and no not convinced you just made me laugh a little.
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    Options
    aight cool. Pac may be one of the greatest, but he wasn't perfect - like every other rapper, he had his strengths and weaknesses. There were some areas where he excelled, and others where he got outdone by others. But if you feel differently, that's fine by me.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nineties wrote: »
    I say yes. It's not even about the MCing.

Life After Death = first hiphop album to go diamond.

Biggie is proof you don't need 3+ albums to be in the discussion.

Life After Death, isn't a GOAT album. It's exceptionally good, with some classic tracks, but it isn't the GOAT because of Going Back to Cali Mo Bee used the trite More Bounce loop way after it was played out in blatant attempt to by Big to show he had no problems with the West Coast. Unlike Ready to Die where every song with the ? , Life After Death just didn't have that same effect. If Biggie hadn't died, Life After Death would have gotten four or four and half mics in The Source instead of five.[/i] In other to be considered the GOAT an lyricist needs:

1) A body of work, (at least four albums)

2) Have good lyrics

3) Be better than his contemporaries

4) Be versatile

5) Be in league with other GOAT artists.

• D_Rap_Scholar
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It's a damn shame, we never got to see a Biggie versus Nas battle...that would have been one for the ages.

Life After Death, isn't a GOAT album. It's exceptionally good, with some classic tracks, but it isn't the GOAT because of Going Back to Cali Mo Bee used the trite More Bounce loop way after it was played out in blatant attempt to by Big to show he had no problems with the West Coast. Unlike Ready to Die where every song with the ? , Life After Death just didn't have that same effect. If Biggie hadn't died, Life After Death would have gotten four or four and half mics in The Source instead of five.[/i] In other to be considered the GOAT an lyricist needs:

2) Have good lyrics

4) Be versatile

So if naS died right after Illmatic, could he still qualify as a GOAT lyricist?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas>>>
    Scarface>>>
    Ice cube>>>
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Options
    2pac lost.

Says the ? Honkie.
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at the amount of GOATs in history who've only had a single or 1 or 2 pieces of work that still stand today and we don't dispute their claim.

Now In terms of music I think it's unfair to say Big has no claim, what about Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain or even Big Pun for example ? We don't deny they the GOATs.....

Quantity don't beat Quality. It's plenty of rappers who've had multiple albums but only 1 or 2 of them are considered universal classics and overstand against the rest of their work. I'd rather be the ? with 3 whole albums over a lifetime that were classics versus having 20 that sucked , 3 that were good and 1 classic. A long terrible body of work overshadows excellence. Lyrically Big was on a whole nother level, and musically Big was waaaaay ahead of his time.

The brevity of Biggie's career is not something I want to hold against him - cause that wasn't even his own fault. And you're right, Biggie was really ahead of his time, because his albums really set the stage for what mainstream hip hop would become in the late-90s (no Biggie, no Shiny Suit era). Even with a short cataologue - those 2 albums were pretty historic for hip hop!

But real talk, wouldn't u have trouble placing him above other GOATs who have kept their form and maintained their careers for much longer. I know impact can compensate for a short career, but even when we start assessing impact, you could still say

Cumulative impact of a long, distinguished career >>>>>>> Monumental impact of a short career
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options

2) Have good lyrics

4) Be versatile

it's a double disc album ffs. how could you possibly make 25 tracks without any blemishes? there's 2 or 3 skippable tracks that had little effect compared to how many classic tracks are on that album. A hardheaded cat would take points off but in my books it's a flat out 5 star album.

Big will always be in the GOAT discussion. Pac usually gets more votes in the discussion because he was a loud mouthed attention seeker who instigated beef that Big had nothing to do with. People like nuthugging rappers like that and think it's cool that he was able to diss someone's wife and make fun of a hereditary disease Prodigy had no control over.
  • double jay
    double jay Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Options
    Let me answer the threadstarters question.....yes.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have time to read the thread but how many artist have put out music that still gets radio, club, and personal play after 15 plus years? If he isn't number 1 he's number 2 by default. Even tho its only 2 albums their impact can't be denied.
    His music is timeless.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HAPPY WHAT WOULD OF BEEN 41st BIRTHDAY BIGGIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8mGJc5xQE

Nineteen-seventy somethin', ? I don't sweat the date
    My moms is late so I had to plan my escape
    out the skins, in this world of fly girls
    Tanqueray and Hennessy until I cold hurl
    Ten months in this gut, what the ?
    I wish moms'd hurry up so I could get buck
    wild, juvenile rippin' mics and ?
    New York New York, ready for the likes of this, uh
    Then came the worst date, May 21st
    2:19, that's when my momma water burst
    No spouse in the house so she rolled herself
    to the hospital, to see if she could get a little help
    Umbilical cord's wrapped around my neck
    I'm seein' my death and I ain't even took my first step
    I made it out, I'm bringin' mad joy
    The doctor looked and said, "He's gonna be a Bad Boy"

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me it's not the number of Albums. Sun didn't move me like that. I liked a couple of songs but that's about it.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options