Mass Appeal Magazine - "Chris Brown thinks he's a Graffiti Artist:FOH"

Options
sully
sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Reason
Dear Chris Brown,

You’re not a graffiti writer. You ain’t a graffiti artist. Stop fronting. You should never ever put the word “graffiti” in your mouth. Matter of fact, you need to go get some Listerine right now and gargle and gargle and gargle. This culture is old and you are a new jack swinger who’s vine might get snipped if you walk the streets talking about “I’m a graffiti artist.” Even if it wasn’t you who dubbed yourself a “graffiti artist”, you need to publically own up to the fact that you never were and never will be. Be a man and tell your friends and enemies in the media to get it right.

chris_brown_graff2.jpeg

I see you painted a donkey. I’m not surprised that you can so effortlessly paint an ass. Mirrors can help us to see the world differently sometimes. We are what we reflect. Sometimes, mirrors can do the mind and body good.

I can admit that you seemingly have a decent amount of can control, and that certainly has value. It gives you the ability to paint something that, from the outside, looks somewhat legit. Hey, you’re an artist—I’d never take that away from you. I can’t. You’re rich, and your riches are the bi-product of your talents. Mazel Tov. But being a graffiti artist is something that takes years and years of suffering to achieve. Getting chased and or beaten by cops. Climbing on rooftops. Clipping fences. Stealing spray paint. Getting into beefs with rival crews where more than bottles of bubbly get tossed around. You ain’t Lee and your current ex Rhi Rhi sure ain’t Lady Pink. How you handle yourself is certainly Wild Style though—I’m sure Lee and Pink had their disputes way back when but I guarantee you that the man famously quoted at the top of Nas’ groundbreaking Illmatic LP never bit and scratched the artist in her young woman form the way you did.

What does this scribe calling you out for domestic abuse have to do with Graffiti? NOTHING! Graffiti was just an opening in the fence, and I done ran through it. I can’t lay all the blame on you, Chris Brown. I can’t speak on what your childhood was like. I can’t speak on whether or not you were abused as a child. I can’t speak on the pressures of fame and the fact that so many people want something from you. And I certainly can’t speak on making a mistake so big that millions of people look at you side-eyed. Still, you have millions of people who love you. You’re a popular artist. You’re 23 years old. You’ve got so many great things ahead of you. Just recognize that graffiti ain’t one of them. Stop fronting. If I see you trying to get up I will personally rag all of your ? with vintage Rustos, ? all of this bougie foreign designer paint ? . This is graffiti, not Gloria Vanderbilt.

Painting animals doesn’t make you a graffiti artist. Let me see you try to pull off some letterforms that have some real HERITAGE. I’m sure you can commission a style master to show you the ropes, but you can hope to the pope and it still won’t be dope. Being a writer is something that ruminates in your bones. These letters we choose to rock were remixed by legends, but you’ll never understand because you’re not from the essence. We done re-mixed the alphabet and made them letters strut, you understand? Strut like Re Run from What’s Happening lockin’ on Crenshaw. Strut like Pam Grier with a gun in her hand outside of a ? house. Strut like Celia Cruz at an after hours spot in Spanish Harlem. Strut like Pete Townsend helicoptering power chords like a ? . Chris Brown must go learn the culture and advocate it from a distance. Like a respectful fan. What Chris Brown is doing right now has gently placed him in the groupie zone. Being an advocate isn’t a bad thing at all. Pretending to be something that you’re not, however, is suspect. The Bridge is over, toy.

chris_brown_graff2.jpg

http://massappeal.com/chris-brown-aint-down/

Comments

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This lady and gents is what we call a "Toy" in the graffiti world...
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris brown musta ? this boi mamy an sister ...woah
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feelings...that's a dope painting too
  • achewon87
    Options
    @jono

Graffiti is doing fine without wannabe pop stars like Chris Brown....

We don't want or need increased interest in our craft as it is mostly illegal...

We have our own venues and avenues when it comes to this graf ? ; which get some nice exposure, corporate sponsorships and contracts for murals...

As for skateboarding...

tumblr_m4c2gs7eFS1rrbliko1_400.gif
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'll get my respect when he can out do this chick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSh44YmBwsg
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whoever wrote that article are all in they feelings. gotdamn let that ? live.
    who in black mainstream media puts on for art let alone graffiti? i'll wait...
    he can be an inspiration for people to not be afraid of their talents. in today's world art is seen as something for nerds/geeks especially musicianship.
    schools are cutting back on the arts and each generation will slowly forget all about it. somebody in the mainstream gotta be a positive figure and keep that ? alive.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    whoever wrote that article are all in they feelings. gotdamn let that ? live.
    who in black mainstream media puts on for art let alone graffiti? i'll wait...
    he can be an inspiration for people to not be afraid of their talents. in today's world art is seen as something for nerds/geeks especially musicianship.
    schools are cutting back on the arts and each generation will slowly forget all about it. somebody in the mainstream gotta be a positive figure and keep that ? alive.

I gotta agree to an extent.

If Chris Brown is being pretentious in his efforts and using graffiti more as a publicity stunt, I can see why someone who immerses themself in graffiti culture would be upset by it. But I think the author probably has more of a problem with Chris Brown than anything else. The whole piece comes across as a diatribe against an easy target you have some kind of personal vendetta against.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me and art go way back and I encourage everyone to develop a good sense of it. Some of these artists tho turn me off with their pretentious attitude it rly dont make sense to be like that in the art world. Its not the same as Hip hop where braggadocio outside of the work itself counts for something. When visual artist of any kind embody that attitude it takes away from the value of what they did in a way. I can appreciate a person taking to any kind of arts, even when they late in da game and way behind the curve. As long as they have a sense of humility about it. Whoever wrote that article act like they caught breezy sticking his chest out on some, Look im doper than you because I did THIS graffiti art type ish. Breezy dont even seem like he have that attitude about it tho. So, while I understand where the writer is coming from from the street aspect of it, at the end of the day its still art. And Art doesn't condescend towards its audience, its so how as an artist does it make sense to condescend towards somebody else's work?
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its Wayne skating all over again. Idk why dudes like this dont ever think someone can just be doing something because its fun to them.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whoever wrote that ? aint a gate keeper of the 4th element muthafucka should be glad that he's bringin the underground artworld back to the surface, and i like to see more graf artist go back to the essence and paint pictures that bring awareness back to the community on the social and political ills
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let the man express himself jheeze loool
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , I think that picture Chris Brown painted was kinda decent. Definitely not hate worthy.

The author of that article sounds like a scorned ? .
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This site is rife with lame brains. What the author clearly said, was if, the dude wants to paint he can. But what he cannot do is label himself a graf artist. Which, I agree with. To call yourself an artist there are somethings that actually have to be done and mastered. What Chris brown did was the same ? that whack ass dudes are doing with MCing. Grab Fruity Loops, spit some ? , post it on youtube and now they are artists. FOH. Pay your dues, support the culture, and let the masters give you your props before you go giving yourself props.
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    This lady and gents is what we call a "Toy" in the graffiti world...

Quoted for emphasis. This ? here...............

what's next: pop-lockin' in a Teletubby costume?

:))
  • bootcheese3000
    bootcheese3000 Members Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Options
    characters_progress.jpg

bboy_detail.jpg

graffiti-art-characters.jpg

tumblr_m9kjtvhs7N1r6bn62o1_500.jpg

YO this your work homie? I likes I likes...............
  • Rubato Garcia
    edited April 2013
    Options
    characters_progress.jpg

bboy_detail.jpg

graffiti-art-characters.jpg

tumblr_m9kjtvhs7N1r6bn62o1_500.jpg

YO this your work homie? I likes I likes...............

Those are CB's
  • Rubato Garcia
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Not sure why it doesn't qualify as "real graffiti" but I don't really care to find out. ? looks good to me.
  • niggasthesedays
    niggasthesedays Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Options
    Chris brown musta ? this boi mamy an sister ...woah

tf u talmbout
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? buying paint get no respect
  • theycallmeboom
    theycallmeboom Members Posts: 107
    Options
    This Chris Brown been into the art ? , and he's pretty dope at it. What I pulled from that article is.....nah why even step into that rabbit hole.

All I see though is weird jealously, and hatred of Chris Brown. His popularity makes his work noticeable, and if his work was trash I guess this article would have a foot stand on, but it isn't, and all I can say is......Are You Mad? The answer is yes. The writer of that lil editorial could of saved us some reading time, and just wrote:

Chris Brown's art work is getting more recognition than my boy's insertstupidstreetnamehere art, AND I'M MAD.
  • achewon87
    Options
    @botcheese3000

Naw just some pics laying around the internet...

Can't take credit for other writers work...

Wish there was graf section in Ill Pix though
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These are some of his drawings. so like I said whoever made that article was hating. I respect any artistic person whether its music, painting/drawing, dance, singing etc.

breezy-art-1.jpg

breezy-art-3.jpg

chris-brown-art-show-nyc-11.jpg

Picture-21.png&w=580&zc=1

breezyart4.jpg

breezyart.jpg