Kingdom Come or NAStradamus?

Options

Comments

• joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    Kingdom Come is probably the most disrespected album in Jays catalogue ... That album has songs that I listen to today I think it only had 3 bad songs actually (that Hollywood song kills me, my gf likes that ? smh)...
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    I think the only wack songs are Anything and Hollywood, and those are the two worst songs Jays career imo. I've never listened to those tracks in their entirety
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    Kingdom Come is probably the most disrespected album in Jays catalogue ... That album has songs that I listen to today I think it only had 3 bad songs actually (that Hollywood song kills me, my gf likes that ? smh)...

I didn't think it was that bad either....I like a bunch of cuts off it.

People forget that Jay-Z was on that "i'm an executive/grown-man" thing heavily back then. I chalk it up to him trying out a new sound upon returning to the booth. He'd been collaborating with R. Kelly and Coldplay in the years leading up to Kingdom Come, so it's not so surprising he'd go for a more lighter sound versus pre-"retirement".

I think a lot of artists in 2006 and afterwards were switching up gears, in terms of the way their music sounded. That early-2000's sound was sorta dying out around then and everything was going in a transition. I don't know how to describe the new sound that's made it's way into the music. Eclectic? I dunno. I've never studied music, so i'm not the best person to go on about it, but i'm sure others would agree that the beats on Kingdom Come and other albums started to sound different from what you had in the early-2000's. I think it's kinda culminated with what we have now, and diverged a few years ago with the entry of more EDM-influenced beats.

It's just too bad it led to Euro Jay (which has been the most on-and-off he's been his whole career), but I blame that moreso on Kanye's influence.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    On some real ? , this should've been a BP3 vs Street's Disciple since both are equally garbage and their worst albums to date...
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    D_Rap_Scholar Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    sully wrote: »

I didn't think it was that bad either....I like a bunch of cuts off it.

People forget that Jay-Z was on that "i'm an executive/grown-man" thing heavily back then. I chalk it up to him trying out a new sound upon returning to the booth. He'd been collaborating with R. Kelly and Coldplay in the years leading up to Kingdom Come, so it's not so surprising he'd go for a more lighter sound versus pre-"retirement".

I think a lot of artists in 2006 and afterwards were switching up gears, in terms of the way their music sounded. That early-2000's sound was sorta dying out around then and everything was going in a transition. I don't know how to describe the new sound that's made it's way into the music. Eclectic? I dunno. I've never studied music, so i'm not the best person to go on about it, but i'm sure others would agree that the beats on Kingdom Come and other albums started to sound different from what you had in the early-2000's. I think it's kinda culminated with what we have now, and diverged a few years ago with the entry of more EDM-influenced beats.

It's just too bad it led to Euro Jay (which has been the most on-and-off he's been his whole career), but I blame that moreso on Kanye's influence.

I think it was just the timing...people we're expecting Jigga to come back in full force, just as hard as he left, so expectations were pretty high. Kingdom Come just turned out to be a bad follow-up to The Black Album.

Now that you mention it, Hov's been kinda finding his place in the last decade. Blueprint 2, Kingdom Come, and BP3 were slip-ups. None of these were as badly made or maligned as Nastradamus, but all were generally considered to be bad follow ups to the albums that came before them (BP1, TBA, Americna Gangster). It makes me wonder whether Jay's been taking more chances as an artist (as you've said) or whether he's just inconsistent when it comes to his output.
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    NastraDOOMus Vol 1 & 2 (yes a real album...look it up)>>> Nastradamus
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    Rahlow wrote: »
    NastraDOOMus Vol 1 & 2 (yes a real album...look it up)>>> Nastradamus

LMFAO, I'm tempted to say ? 's StepSon>>>>>>? 's Son

One of my favorite pastimes as a hip hop head, is to collect remakes of Nas' songs, with better beats than the original. For those of you who are interested, you should hit me up....

EDIT: Ah ? it,

9th Wonder ? 's Stepson

Teddy King's No Ideas Original

Don Cannon the Lost Tapes 1.5

MF Doom's Nastradoomus vol. 1 and 2

Nick James Presents The Nas Remixes

^^^This won't get me banned right?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    "Come get me" and "New York State of mind PT 2 off Nastradamus album ? on the whole kingdom come album by their selves so Nas wins vs Jay Z again. *shrugs*
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    NAStradamus
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Smh@ this comparison.

BP3 vs Nastradamus would have me thinking

? Blueprint 3 was hot

I liked pretty much every track on there

Rotflmao @ this.

• D_Rap_Scholar
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    "Come get me" and "New York State of mind PT 2 off Nastradamus album ? on the whole kingdom come album by their selves so Nas wins vs Jay Z again. *shrugs*

That song's from "I Am"....
  • FunkyJ
    FunkyJ Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus

Bruh, NY State of mind pt 2 was on I Am...
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    I started lurkin' this board about the time Kingdom Come came out. Back when the Reason was hot. Good times
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    Oh and Jay had some dope songs on KC. The Prelude (which is to be expected. He always kills intros), two of the three Just Blaze tracks, Lost One, Beach Chair, Trouble and 30 Something are all dope
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    Now that I think about it, Nastradamus had better songs. Call me biased. The songs I ? with on Kingdom Come were Prelude, Oh My ? , Kingdom Come, Do U Wanna Ride, Minority Report and Beach Chair. The rest was pretty meh to me. He really fell off drastically lyrically and from a delivery standpoint. When he came out with Show Me What You Got I was like the beat is smooth, but when is he gonna start spitting?? I mean it wasn't bad but most of it wasn't some ? like "Hey I feel like playing 30 Something!" I give it a 3.5 stars objectively.

I like most of the songs on Nastradamus but Some of Us Have Angels beat is trash. Quiet ? was ok but I wasn't feeling the beat. Big Girl is one of my most hated Nas songs. Everything else is fire. The album sounds dated as ? and poorly put together but I still love it. You Owe Me and Nastradamus were funny singles coming from him but they're still fun records. Shoot Em Up is one of my favorite Nas records. Last Words is a great concept record. Come Get Me was a watered down Nas is Like.. Family sound like some ? that could have been on Murda Muzik. New World is an interesting perspective as the next millennium in 99. I like the vibe and sound of that song. Project Windows is classic. Overall the beats are probably really lackluster but he made it work. This album is also a big disappointment for Nas standards especially after coming off a great album like I Am... Still, I give it 4 stars.

Just my opinion. I can see it going either way.
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    nastradamus ain't wack except for the singles. KC jay was reinventing himself and didn't come out right.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    NAStradamus
    The difference between these two albums is that Nostradamus was flogged for it's beats, but Jay-Z was attacked for his so called "grown man" (grown man must mean rich and selfish) lyrics after talking all the murder and crime. Remixed tracks on Nastradoomus proved to me that with better beats, i can listen to the lyrics on Nastradamus but not with Jay-Z's Kingdom Come.

This isn't a perfect blend but you get the point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhxLhce50Yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnbB9v1ctdI
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    I think that was where Nas lost himself. He tried to be too commercial and saw it wasn't his lane. Jay changed a little but didn't stray far from where he is good
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    NAStradamus

That song's from "I Am"....

You right bruh....its been a minute since I ? with I am or nastradamus.....but take that song away Come get me over the preemo beat still burns any joint on kingdom
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kingdom Come
    I ? with Kingdom come minus Hollywood, anything also to an extent

Ooh you so nasty
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both of the wack but if I had to choose then Nastradamus. Nastradamus bad but it aint Kingdom Come bad. Trickass Nas gets a rare cosign.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    NAStradamus
    What's crazy is that both these albums are wack by their standards. But let some trash rapper drop Nastradamus or Kingdom Come and we'd probably be praising them for their effort.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    Results are dead even 33-33. I think that's a fair assessment.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    NAStradamus
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Results are dead even 33-33. I think that's a fair assessment.

nah homie, jay never beating Nas, regadless of how many L's Nas accumulates...lmao
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAStradamus
    LOL, I forgot to vote..
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    NAStradamus
    Nastradamus by far not even the greatest producer ever could save kingdom come... that ? sounded like a hell rell album