LET'S BE CLEAR... CONTROL SYSTEM IS A CLASSIC. WHERE DO WE SEE AB-SOUL'S CAREER GOING?

Options
buttuh_b
buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
The album got so much replay value it's ridiculous b. Now it's been about a year since this dropped and Soul has been making us wait patiently for a new project. In that time Kendrick has damn near went platinum. Schoolboy Q has gotten a lot of exposure. Ab-Soul got the XXL freshman cover. 26 years old, he's in prime position to make his mark on the game.

What's his situation with Interscope? If he can get a decent push I think he could build a good fanbase. Despite the fact I've seen a lot of posters say he's not marketable I believe his music is appealing to a wide variety of people. I've been to several kickbacks where his album was being played. People seem to appreciate skill more and more nowadays and in my opinion he's the most skilled overall rapper out right now from lyricism, flows, wordplay, etc.. He has a wide range of concepts and his ear for production is great! Let me put it like this... it's only a few rappers/producers who seem to have a real vision when they create.. Of those people I would include Kanye West, RZA and Outkast. You can tell they have direction with their music. I almost get a similar feeling with the way he crafted his songs and album as a whole. He's extremely versatile and creative. You wanna see someone like him winnin this rap game.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'd say classic but CS is a great ? joint. Dude has really picked it up, he's one of the few new cats that are improving as they come along. Control System was much better than any tape he put out.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Im bumping this now.. i still dk which is better GKMC or this.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He can sing too, but his subject matter is too out there for much, he'll do decent numbers with a single i think tho. he'll be the type to have consistent success i think
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    K Dot's exposure came from his features, aside from the great work he's already done. IMO if it wasn't for his verses on The City and Buried Alive, his career wouldn't be where it's at today. Soulo gotta do the same ? , get on someone's song and straight body them. He can do it too.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am interested in seeing what he does as well he is a great artist. Anybody know why he wasn't on GKMC?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    K Dot's exposure came from his features, aside from the great work he's already done. IMO if it wasn't for his verses on The City and Buried Alive, his career wouldn't be where it's at today. Soulo gotta do the same ? , get on someone's song and straight body them. He can do it too.

i agree, the biggest songs for Kendrick's mainstream career were ADHD, Hiipower, A1 Everything, The City, and Buried Alive
    The Recipe wrote: »
    I am interested in seeing what he does as well he is a great artist. Anybody know why he wasn't on GKMC?

Why the absence of Ab-Soul and ScHoolBoy Q on GKMC?
    I really wanted to save that look for our next strategic chess move. ScHoolBoy Q and Ab-Soul are on Section.80, Jay Rock wasn't on Section.80. This is my debut album, Jay Rock was on this album. We playin' strategic for that next move. That's something that the world doesn't know. We sit in the studio and plan this out. It's not just me saying I'm gonna put Jay Rock on this, this is us as a collective. We've been doing things strategically for a minute as far as me coming out, then ScHoolBoy Q, then Ab-Soul. It's all in the plan... it's all in the works.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

technically on the recipe remix and swimming pools remix.. but i think he had some vocals on one song on GKMC
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but i think he had some vocals on one song on GKMC

nah that was Q on mAAd city.

but ? damn @ the number of samples on this album, I just noticed how many it had.

"? , Don't ? My Vibe" contains a sample of "Tiden Flyver" as performed by Boom Clap Bachelors.
    "Backseat Freestyle" contains a sample of "Yo Soy Cubano" as performed by The Chakachas.
    "The Art of Peer Pressure" contains a sample of "Helt Alene" as performed by Suspekt.[79][80]
    "Money Trees" contains a sample of "Silver Soul" as performed by Beach House.[81]
    "Poetic Justice" contains a sample of "Any Time, Any Place" as performed by Janet Jackson.[82]
    "good kid" contains a sample of "We Live In Brooklyn, Baby" as performed by Roy Ayers.
    "m.A.A.d city" contains a sample of "Don't Change Your Love" as performed by The Five Stairsteps, "Funky Worm" by Ohio Players, and "A Bird In The Hand" by Ice Cube
    "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" contains a sample of "Maybe Tomorrow" as performed by Grant Green and "I'm Glad You're Mine" by Al Green.
    "Compton" contains a sample of "What’s This World Coming To” as performed by Formula IV.
    "The Recipe" contains a sample of "Meet the Frownies" as performed by Twin Sister.
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Control System >> GKMC to me as Far as Replay Value. Soul gonna blow Soon, These ? the West Coast Wu-Tang Forreal loll
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

technically on the recipe remix and swimming pools remix.. but i think he had some vocals on one song on GKMC

Havent heard them ? , Ima check them out.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign this powerful thread!!

? classic.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »

? classic.

Too bad I cant say the same for the last one.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its not good as Good Kid In Mad City
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? classic.

Sad but true. I really liked it at first but then I haven't checked for it since.

CS gets much airplay
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked these days with the exception of maybe 2 tracks. Could've been way better but I don't think it was his fault. I bet his next project will be as good as CS if not better.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? classic.

I play These Days daily. Took a minute for it to grow on me but I love that ? . Playing CS as I type this though. Certified classic IMO
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's not a classic, but it's still a pretty good album...I'd def check out a new ab soul album