Any Haitians on this board?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
I heard Will Smith's dad is Haitian. Denzel is Haitian by his parents. Blake Griffin is Haitian by his dad's side? Usher also...

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who are you trying to ? ? Only reference I know of Hatians was on Rick Ross song "Yella diamonds"
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    I heard Will Smith's dad is Haitian. Denzel is Haitian by his parents. Blake Griffin is Haitian by his dad's side? Usher also...

so did will and denzell change their names like most celebrities do when they gain fame? for example martin Estevez=martin sheen
  • Zigefresh
    Zigefresh Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I hate it when second generation born ? say they're Hatian just because they have Haitian parents. PEOPLE, you are AA only, you were born here. Sure you might have been raised with the Haitian culture and may even know the language but y'all still were NOT born in Haiti.

End rant .
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yes there are. And I'm sure they all take turns using the computer to post on this forum because they're all packed in and live in the same house
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zigefresh wrote: »
    I hate it when second generation born ? say they're Hatian just because they have Haitian parents. PEOPLE, you are AA only, you were born here. Sure you might have been raised with the Haitian culture and may even know the language but y'all still were NOT born in Haiti.

End rant .

um. what is AA?
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Black Boy King
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I figured he meant somethin else. African American isnt a nationality. Africa's a continent

why would someone of Haitian descent say they are African American? They are Haitian American.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options

I don't know where u got that from but it's not true lol

And neither is Will
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Zigefresh wrote: »

End rant .

? out of here with that ?

people are what there parents are ,claim their culture and think of themselves as being a member of that culture. i have never met a second generation black immigrant from africa or the west indies who wanted to be thought of as african american.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^Hell yea my ? ...if its in the blood, its in the blood...

• StillFaggyAF
    Options
    My mommy is :)

My granny & mama are fluent, I can follow a conversation but my kreyol is embarrassing.

bonswa Ms White
  • Real Lady2
    Real Lady2 Members Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my family don't know their tribe.. we just call ourselves black people.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Real Lady2 wrote: »
    my family don't know their tribe.. we just call ourselves black people.

[img][/img]wt93ic.jpg
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    aint no such thing as haitian american or jamaican american once yall parents became u.s. citizens yall became afro-american.
  • zombie
    Options
    aint no such thing as haitian american or jamaican american once yall parents became u.s. citizens yall became afro-american.

No we don't, afro-americans are their own ethic group, i know west indian families who have been here for three generations and still consider themselves west indian. just because the government calls you african american that does not make you one.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    lol what are you saying? Haitian American, Chinese American, Irish American etc., all those are nationalities. Afro American is the same as ? , African American, Black, Colored, etc. It's a "race", not nationality..
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    afro/black=race
    american=nationality

once you become an american your no longer a jamaican or haitian you went from afro/black-jamaican to afro/black-american.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, no Haitians ever go online to hip hop forum

No ? are given.

I'm surprised Jamaicans go on here.
  • zombie
    edited April 2013
    Options
    afro/black=race
    american=nationality

once you become an american your no longer a jamaican or haitian you went from afro/black-jamaican to afro/black-american.

citizen does not always equal ethnicity , you can be a black citizen of america but not be an afro-american ethically

what you have described is nationality and race but not ethic group.
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    afro/black=race
    american=nationality

bro you're confusing citizenship and nationality.

becoming a naturalized makes you a citizen and gives you rights as a citizen of that nation. it doesn't change your nationality. you can't change your nationality... that doesnt make sense.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »

I don't know where u got that from but it's not true lol

And neither is Will
    I mean you said they aren't cuz you said so... that's what I got from your reply. Also heard Future and battle rapper, B-Magic, are of Haitian descent too.