L.O.G.O.N. Vol. 5: Notorious BIG

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited May 2013 in The Reason

L.O.G.O.N. Vol. 5: Notorious BIG 67 votes

Legend
37%
lion_hearta_listex-soldierdwade2065th Letterinfamous114internationalcoltonnyst8ofminKINGECGlockLesnar CoolJoeStoneColdMikeyMister B.goldenja_Menace_FyHunnitIgot5onitJabu_Rulepurpngold 25 votes
Overrated, but a Legend
13%
soul rattlerP. TownOGClarenceBoddickersavagekCashmoneyDuxSleepwalkingInJapanFunkyJkjrain12Qpczyk 9 votes
GOAT PERIOD
41%
[Deleted User]gnsalmighty breezerapmastermindhnic1978clairvoyanceDOPEdweebzMr.LVCeLLaR-DooRBDBIIDAlready Home_17Cainidoitforhiphop10vslykeBuilt 4 cuban linxTheRicanKingLou Cyphernj2089trilladelicMeta_Conscious 28 votes
Overrated period
2%
Soloman_The_WiseThe Recipe 2 votes
None of the above (Please specify)
4%
northside7700Cutler 26 INT's LOL! 3 votes

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    None of the above (Please specify)
    he nice but overrated

he only dropped two albums so if anybody come in here say in he goat is a ?
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    Cant be the GOAT with 2 albums imo

Both albums where classics but not enough work on his resume

He's not the GOAT but definitely a legend and in my top 10
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    And we go with this fallacy.

I guess Too Short, B.G., E-40 and Snoop Dogg are G.O.A.Ts
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overrated, but a Legend

Where are these assumptions coming from? None of these ? are GOATs.
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    Biggie will always be a legend. Besides Jay, who else is ? with that flow?
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Legend
    Sion wrote: »
    Big is a LEGEND/GOAT point blank.... I know it's gonna be cats who will rag on him for only having 2 albums but Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Pun etc. they guilty of having very few albums but we don't discredit or undermine their contribution to music. Hendrix is still hands down THE greatest guitarist of all time, Kurt revolutionized (or created depending who you ask) Grunge. Big's lyrical style was so sought after, u got cats like Hov, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Kiss & even 50 Cent trying to copy. 15-16 years later & ? still recycling his verse. You judge greatness by not only sheer skill but impact as well. Coastal beef w/ Pac, sales, the lyrical style, pop culture icon, etc. New York still aint been the same since Big left......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDac85FabTk

Man I love Biggie Smalls fam, (n/h just in case SMMFH) to this day before I leave the house I still play that song & I still say the "Hustle's Prayer" before I go to sleep.....

I see what you mean but Kurt and Jimi are a different genre of music and Pun (no one outside of the Bronx calls him the GOAT) Biggie is dope af and can spit his albums are classics but did he really have the skill to craft a song? or have a vision for what his was supposed to be, I think Puff had a major role in Big's music he showed BIG how to craft a song and make a hit. Regardless of all that Biggie Smalls is a dope rapper but doesnt have the credentials of a GOAT Rapper.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    no problem with peeps who think he's the goat.......

? baggin/sick of bragging/ how my mink be dragging/
    desert ease street sweepers inside the Beamer wagon/
  • ohhhla
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD

Where are these assumptions coming from? None of these ? are GOATs.

You ? don't get it.

You guys are basically saying you need a certain amount of albums to be G.O.A.T.

No, you don't.
  • _Menace_
    Options
    Legend
    @_Menace_

I'm sorry fam, I'm a Big stan LOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I'll fight for Big like I'll fight for Pac or any of my favorite rappers.

Plus it's been a long ass time since I even debated anyone over Hip-Hop LOLOL. We both adults, I see where you coming from and everything but I got my opinion & you got yours.

LOL its all good

tumblr_lq0puapS3z1qlx09ho1_500.gif

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    Biggie isn't THE greatest of all time, but he's definitely one of the greatest.. he's in my personal top five..
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Legend
    He was the rapper that I considered the goat for the longest until Nas took his spot. He's definitely a goat candidate.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    There will never be another biggie in this lifetime period.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    B.I.G. brought East COast back to Prominence.

Had versatile tracks, appeal to the streets and the mainstream and was crazy nice lyrically.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    Big is a LEGEND/GOAT point blank.... I know it's gonna be cats who will rag on him for only having 2 albums but Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Pun etc. they guilty of having very few albums but we don't discredit or undermine their contribution to music. Hendrix is still hands down THE greatest guitarist of all time, Kurt revolutionized (or created depending who you ask) Grunge. Big's lyrical style was so sought after, u got cats like Hov, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Kiss & even 50 Cent trying to copy. 15-16 years later & ? still recycling his verse. You judge greatness by not only sheer skill but impact as well. Coastal beef w/ Pac, sales, the lyrical style, pop culture icon, etc. New York still aint been the same since Big left......

Man I love Biggie Smalls fam, (n/h just in case SMMFH) to this day before I leave the house I still play that song & I still say the "Hustle's Prayer" before I go to sleep.....

Thanks for taking the time to say all that, i didnt wanna type up something cuz im too high. You covered practically everything i wanted to say even with the cobain comparisons lol.

What BIG made, there was artists/albums that came out before him that werent nearly as good, and the stuff that came after him... well you already see how bad that is compared to his TWO albums. Dude is a ? GOAT.
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    king of NY
  • kjrain12
    kjrain12 Members Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Overrated, but a Legend
    He's a legend but his subject matter was a little boring unless he was storytelling. His flow and storytelling are what makes him great, but he's still overrated for what he did imo
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    GOAT candidate only 2 albums but them 2 albums are arguably the best albums in history. plus his work off those albums have been great. I haven't heard a bad verse from him. overrated my ass, his impact can't be denied. RIP
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    big fit the profile of what a rapper should be. witty, smart, funny, creative flow, ill word play etc. dude was the best
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Legend
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Cant be the GOAT with 2 albums imo

Both albums where classics but not enough work on his resume

He's not the GOAT but definitely a legend and in my top 10

• idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD

All of this. Alot of people always say that Big only has two albums, which is true, but a lot of people don't understand tht those 2 albums had IMPACT. That's what seperates Big from other artist with a small catalouge imo.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    Sion pretty much summed it up but it's 16 years later. Legendary Rappers have larger catalogs like Rakim, Cube, Pac and NaS. But Big is the same status as them with less albums, less verses that has to say something. He's the most bitten rapper of all time. How is someone with such a less amount of material lyrically bitten that much?. "Ready To Die" literally was the straw that brought the East back to dominance in the mainstream. "Life After Death" created the non-regional blueprint that is still being copied till this day. Jay Z is considered the Top rapper in the game today and he's basically Biggie's Disciple. NaS came out the same time as Big and even dropped an album that can go toe to toe with both Big albums in "ILLmatic" but even NaS was outshinned by Big while he was alive. Pac is iconic and probably Rap's best artist ever.

But even Pac himself was completely taken a back by Biggie's skills to the point he wanted Biggie in his crew before the beef. Biggie is the GOAT based solely on Skill level. He's the complete Emcee. He basically had no weakness on the mic. Lyrics-tight, Flow-tight, Delivery-tight, I mean I could go on for days. Sure Some may argue Big's subject matter wasn't "Worldly" but he was a storyteller, he wanted to paint a picture. He didn't need to rap about politics or social injustice cause he wasn't trying to change the world. He was just trying to tell a story. Within his bars are social commentary though. "Ready To Die" does have a moral that shows that a certain lifestyle ends you up in jail or dead. "Life After Death" talked about success and the trappings of that success.

Biggie's albums continue to make Greatest of all time list. Both of his albums aren't just Great Rap albums but Great albums amongst any genre. He's work with some amazing artist in his career like Michael Jackson and Tupac. He was respected amongst his peers and the ones that did have a problem with him all respect him today. I understand that not everyone will agree Big is the GOAT. I happen to think Hip Hop is made up of several GOATS not just one. But Big is a great representative of what any rapper should strive for. If you are an emcee you have to go to Biggie University to get some lessons. Like Big said:

"Dumb Rappers needs teachin, Lesson A, Don't ? with B.I., that's that, Oh I thought he was Wack, oh come, come now"

Seriously Biggie can go toe to toe with any Emcee in History. When Biggie got on a track with Bone Thugs it was wrap. His "Notorious Thugs" verse is just one example of his GOAT STATUS. Big could rap with anyone, any style, any beat and still come out with a memorable verse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Onc4fFGlo
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    Jamaica wrote: »
    He was the rapper that I considered the goat for the longest until Nas took his spot. He's definitely a goat candidate.
    You sir just gave me an idea..
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT PERIOD
    biggie smalls is the illest..
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend
    I c/s everything @rapmastermind say...an I ain't even read the ? ...

This is and always will be a legend to me...

I hope to be an old man that can't even get out the chair...tapping my walking stick on the floor...spitting Biggie lyrics...nodding my ol ass head to some RTD ? ..
  • FunkyJ
    FunkyJ Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Options
    Overrated, but a Legend
    ? , I clicked the wrong option...