• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    It's a no brainer for me.
  • LilStat
    LilStat Members Posts: 23
    Options
    Imo all of Nas.He definitely has killing tracks in every single piece of his album. Its hard to choose only one so I did not vote.
  • kjrain12
    kjrain12 Members Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    It's gotta be Illmatic BUT ? 's Son is my second favorite and is really a beautiful album. Lost Tapes is up there as well and I Am... is a bit underrated and is pretty solid save for a few weak beats.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stillmatic
    For me its between Stillmatic and Untitled....I think Untitled is Nas' most slept on record.

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Untitled
    If lost tapes was on the list it would've got my vote tho
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It Was Written
    iww was his best all around effort flow was murder, lyrics was on point and it was a commercial success ? is sleepin on silent murder,suspect ? ,shootouts...
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It Was Written
    iww was his best all around effort flow was murder, lyrics was on point and it was a commercial success ? is sleepin on silent murder,suspect ? ,shootouts...
  • rap mysterio
    rap mysterio Members Posts: 171 ✭✭
    Options
    Street's Disciple
    Personally I loved streets disciple, so many styles n flows. The songs with maxwell, busta rhymes and the tiger woods/ Kobe diss song, but if I'm ranking it's 1) illmatic 2) lost tapes 3) stillmatic
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    Nas has the GOAT album titles
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It Was Written
    It Was Written for me, I always felt it was the perfect blend of concepts, rugged raps and radio ready joints.
  • phrostface
    phrostface Members Posts: 136
    Options
    umm...

Lost Tapes?
  • phrostface
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    IWW.......
    ? would've been flawless if garbage ass "Nas Is Coming" didn't make the track list.

For the life of me I cannot understand the hate this song gets. Nas was spittin his ass off on this track. To each his own I guess.

Federal Bureau, tapped my line and got zero...
  • phrostface
    Options
    Actually now that I think about it...walk wit a ? .

I remember back in college, "I Am" was the first real "leaked" album I had ever heard (meaning I was hearing an actual album before it hit stores...not just tracks off a yet-to-be-released album on some ? 's mixtape). Prior to this, everyone was talking about how Nas was about to drop a double album...remember, Biggie's 2x album had dropped just two years prior. The leak ? everything up and he had to rush something to the stores to capitalize on whatever buzz was still left. I had Fetus, Poppa Was a Playa, Hardest Thing to Do Is Stay Alive, Wanna Play, Sometimes I Wonder and ? By Myself LONG before the official "Lost Tapes" came out. Nastradamus was a rush as well (I think it also came out in 1999) but there were a couple gems on it as well (Last Words, Shoot Em Up). I think that were the originally planned double album to have dropped (in the absence of the leak) or even a single album pared down to the best tracks from I Am, Nastradamus and Lost Tapes, that would have been discussed with the same vauntedness that yall give illmatic and IWW.

That's why I give Lost Tapes the props cause I think most of the best songs from that album were from there.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Untitled
    Its deep and went over ? heads
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmmm...

Not really sure I can pick one. Probably between IWW or HID. But I don't understand why people ? on Nastradamus so much. It's not a bad album at all.
  • ILL_Anvers
    ILL_Anvers Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    It was written is a close contender but illmatic still takes it.

It's everything a hip hop album should be.
    Great wordplay (lyrics in general), great production, pure, also it ain't too long.
    A lot of hip hop albums/mixtapes are too long and because of that their quality diminishes.
    Illmatic doesn't have that problem, it's great from beginning to end.

It's a masterpiece and it's easily in my top 5.
  • mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My favorite is IWW. Still his best all around effort to me even with the step into the mafioso genre. But I'm partial to that genre cuz I think the sum of the goats dropped their best work within it. So it may that bias cuz I do agree illmatic is nas's best lp overall. Illmatic nas was ahead of his time. IWW nas was at his lyrical peak and his flows were dope every track
  • ILL_Anvers
    ILL_Anvers Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Hmmmm...

Not really sure I can pick one. Probably between IWW or HID. But I don't understand why people ? on Nastradamus so much. It's not a bad album at all.

I agree, i mean i get the criticism and it definitely ain't one of his best works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVHc7rBpO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWYjmkZOK4

They're kind of poppy/kitsch sounding but for some reason i really like 'em, especially "New World".
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I cant decide, but I can give you my 3 favorites:

Illmatic
    It was written
    lost tapes
  • nineties
    nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    Lol @ people who think a superficial mafia album being better than the album that revived his career.

Stillmatic > It Was Written
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It Was Written
    nineties wrote: »
    Lol @ people who think a superficial mafia album being better than the album that revived his career.

IWW is one of the top 3 mafioso influenced pieces to come out but he also was teaching the kids w ? like i gave u power and black girl lost.

Hiphop is about partying AND disseminating information. Who else is doing that w help from Dre.....?

The other homie u love....k dot

Dont forget that last verse on watch dem n*ggas was goat - "them old timers advised you to them problems thats ahead,drama wit the feds,not listening just bobbing your head"

And that shootouts line "she do be looking weaker now,her teeth are foul,speaking loud,peep her style, in and out of every ? cloud" was one of my favorite lines off the album

Im trying to tell ya I cant reiterate this enough nobody was f***ing with that IWW/ESCO FLOW. He could rhyme small and big words together numerous times within one line or verse making it sound so effortless, whereas some rappers rhymes sound forced. BIG PUN R.I.P is one of the few who could do that but not many....

I always said that IWW flow was like water, as corny as that may sound it came across so natural it flowed like water.

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

IWW is one of the top 3 mafioso influenced pieces to come out but he also was teaching the kids w ? like i gave u power and black girl lost.

Hiphop is about partying AND disseminating information. Who else is doing that w help from Dre.....?

Dont forget that last verse on watch dem n*ggas was goat - "them old timers advised you to them problems thats ahead,drama wit the feds,not listening just bobbing your head"

And that shootouts line "she do be looking weaker now,her teeth are foul,speaking loud,peep her style, in and out of every ? cloud" was one of my favorite lines off the album

Im trying to tell ya I cant reiterate this enough nobody was f***ing with that IWW/ESCO FLOW. He could rhyme small and big words together numerous times within one line or verse making it sound so effortless, whereas some rappers rhymes sound forced. BIG PUN R.I.P is one of the few who could do that but not many....

I always said that IWW flow was like water, as corny as that may sound it came across so natural it flowed like water.

when I was younger, I ended up getting the edited version.. and for some reason the 3rd verse was completely different.. maybe even better.

@ 2:35

http://youtu.be/M2niwOc5ae4
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It Was Written
    goldenja wrote: »

when I was younger, I ended up getting the edited version.. and for some reason the 3rd verse was completely different.. maybe even better.

@ 2:35

http://youtu.be/M2niwOc5ae4

That was dope theres a couple of extended/alternate versions songs from that album street dreams and take it in blood come to mind. Imma look into that kiana donald goines saga line on this song cause I read a couple of his books, see which one he was referring to.

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Personally I loved streets disciple, so many styles n flows. The songs with maxwell, busta rhymes and the tiger woods/ Kobe diss song, but if I'm ranking it's 1) illmatic 2) lost tapes 3) stillmatic

Come on bruh
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Illmatic
    I always liked "Fiends get skinny as if queens was a Craig Jenny"

it was written had mad quotables