Was LL the GOAT by the year 2G?

Options
nineties
nineties Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Reason
LL Cool J released an album called G.O.A.T. in 2000. It was his 8th album and he was in the game for 15 or 16 years at the time. I didnt listen to the album but it got me thinking if LL deserved the crown during the millenium. Nas and Jay were still contributing to their legacy, and Im not sure how big Pac and Big's legacies were at the time compared to today.

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah. He's a legend no doubt, but not the goat.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think LL started the conversation. I heard a lot of people just say "so & so my favorite rapper" before then but after GOAT...well the "favorite rapper" became the GOAT.

LL is always in the conversation, he's in my top 10 as well. In 2000 he had been resurrected twice already, that's some unheard of stuff. To have survived the days of Kane & Rakim, outlasted 2pac & Biggie, it was an arguable point to make. I think he's fallen further down as the audience continues to get younger and care less about the past but he certainly was a top contender in 2000.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's up there and that album was dope. Definitely my fav by him.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A solid argument could be made for him. He has dropped some garbage, but he has some real tried and true classics too. At least one or two of his albums are classic Radio and Mama Said Knock You Out. He has classic songs. He also has some classic battles. Even though that song he released with Paisley is inexcusable, there's no denying a lot of his music, impact, and influence on Hip Hop.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL ? J is dead to me...

That's a bit harsh, but I pretty much agree that song with the white boy ? on his legacy hard. Circa 2000, though? I think he had a legitimate claim to the thrown. Now, he on that veteran league minimum of greatness: enough to recognize you're a legend, but not noteworthy enough to let you get starter minutes.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    LL is a goat candidate his catalog and impact justifies it.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kane.

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL created the acronym "G.O.A.T." but I also read somewhere that he chose the word goat because his zodiac sign or some ? .
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not the best to me BUT he earned the right to say that. I won't argue anyone that says it
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, and he still is.... at least one of them.
  • Zigefresh
    Zigefresh Members Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Options
    Hes a pioneer but he is not a GOAT. He's been releasing ? since the late 90s. Should have went to acting full time.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL has spent almost 20 years undoing everything he did in his first 6-7. Its like watching an old ballplayer stumble around for an expansion team. Can't call him the GOAT (or a GOAT) when he's had more years as a wack rapper than years as a dope rapper.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    '...female rappers too I don't give a ? boo'
    Ll cool j is hard as hell.

Top 25 doa
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legend, yes. Top 7 for sure.

LL has NEVER been the GOAT. Not as long as Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool Moe Dee were in the game with him.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    LL ? J is dead to me...

That's a bit harsh, but I pretty much agree that song with the white boy ? on his legacy hard. Circa 2000, though? I think he had a legitimate claim to the thrown. Now, he on that veteran league minimum of greatness: enough to recognize you're a legend, but not noteworthy enough to let you get starter minutes.

I like that analogy.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Legend, yes. Top 7 for sure.

LL has NEVER been the GOAT. Not as long as Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool Moe Dee were in the game with him.

Most people are the board think Kane is ok.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all, the "GOAT" album wasn't even that good. If you choose that title, then the album has to be at least close to a classic.
    Second, lyrically, LL cannot even compete with Jay, Nas, or Big. Speaking of the latter mc's, they didn't have to perform chest naked with baby oil on to sell records.
    Third, with the release of that submissive, black face, sellout country track he did, he fell further down my list.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL hit GOAT status wit da' BAD album, ironically still a young ? too, and then he slowly sank over the years. so no, he was not the GOAT by 2000, he was the GOAT a decade earlier.

cover.jpg
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    First of all, the "GOAT" album wasn't even that good. If you choose that title, then the album has to be at least close to a classic.
    Second, lyrically, LL cannot even compete with Jay, Nas, or Big. Speaking of the latter mc's, they didn't have to perform chest naked with baby oil on to sell records.
    Third, with the release of that submissive, black face, sellout country track he did, he fell further down my list.

LMAO!!!!!
  • Confidential Playa
    Confidential Playa Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL was the first rapper that I can remember who made simp anthems.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ll cool j, the rapper of my favorite rap track ever. jack the ripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgPAC2wsR8

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By the year 2000, yeah. At that point LL had the most successful run of any rapper (15 years, got dayum). 5 classic/near classic albums under his belt (Radio, BAD, Mama Said, Mr. Smith, GOAT). And sold records each time. What other rapper at that time can say they did that? He gets overlooked tho cuz of his decline during that time. His move to Hollywood, the loss of hunger and drive, Phenomenon (eww). GOAT was his redemption song, but he didn't follow thru. Other than that, no one did it like LL til Jay, Nas and Em hit their creative peaks.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    NothingButTheTruth and his weird opinions.