Options

Comments

• fu@kdapopo
    fu@kdapopo Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just for the record, I'm the type of ? who enjoys watching fictional ppl suffer, so I was practically cheesin' the whole scene. Yeah, I'm a sick ? .

532px-Red_Wedding_by_FatherStone.jpg

BTW, ya'll underestimating the impact of breaking that "Guest Right" taboo. Its based in real history but Martin really cranks it up to 11 in his universe:

Guest right is considered one of the most basic social rules of all civilized men. Every major religion in Westeros - the Old Gods of the Forest, the Faith of the Seven, even the Drowned ? of the Iron Islands - holds guest right to be one of the most sacred and inviolable social rules. Every lordship or kingdom since the dawn of civilization has had secular laws protecting guest right. For either a guest or a host to break the promised protection of guest right is considered to be an utterly heinous crime, breaking all the laws of gods and men.

Like, if they had captured Robb's army in battle, ? his whole family to death afterwards, and ripped his unborn child out the ? .....most people in Westeros wouldn't think nothin' of it and even Northmen would sorta see it as fair game. But this? This was an affront to all of Westerosi culture. There are some lines you just don't cross. To quote Bunk from Wire ep 7, “A man must have a code”, and this was the big one. Its no spoiler to say that the Freys will be reviled as dishonorable across the land.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a cruel fictional world, but it IS one with Karma. Believe dat.
    This is a huge reason why I don't think dani targaryen is the real badass or next on the throne it's too obvious

Dany has the Dragons tho. The Dragons are the key to everything. The only reason the 7 Kingdoms were ever unified was because of Dragons. Westeros IMHO can't even exist as a stable unified nation-state without the threat of Dragons to keep all the other kingdoms in check, as witnessed by 3 major civil wars & 2 minor ones in the past century. (whether or not such a state should even exist in the first place when Tarkin Doctrine is apparently the only thing gluing it together is a question for another day) The presence and power of Magic declined after the Dragons went extinct. It's possible that Dragons themselves are the "Lightbringer" of the Azor Ahai legend and extremely likely that they'll play a pivotal role in defeating The White Walkers. And she's the *only* one that can control these things. Other than Bran, of course.

• Crimson11
    Crimson11 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    "The wolves will come again," said Jojen solemnly.
    "And how would you be knowing, boy?"
    "I dreamed it."
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Just for the record, I'm the type of ? who enjoys watching fictional ppl suffer, so I was practically cheesin' the whole scene. Yeah, I'm a sick ? .

BTW, ya'll underestimating the impact of breaking that "Guest Right" taboo. Its based in real history but Martin really cranks it up to 11 in his universe:

Guest right is considered one of the most basic social rules of all civilized men. Every major religion in Westeros - the Old Gods of the Forest, the Faith of the Seven, even the Drowned ? of the Iron Islands - holds guest right to be one of the most sacred and inviolable social rules. Every lordship or kingdom since the dawn of civilization has had secular laws protecting guest right. For either a guest or a host to break the promised protection of guest right is considered to be an utterly heinous crime, breaking all the laws of gods and men.

Like, if they had captured Robb's army in battle, ? his whole family to death afterwards, and ripped his unborn child out the ? .....most people in Westeros wouldn't think nothin' of it and even Northmen would sorta see it as fair game. But this? This was an affront to all of Westerosi culture. There are some lines you just don't cross. To quote Bunk from Wire ep 7, “A man must have a code”, and this was the big one. Its no spoiler to say that the Freys will be reviled as dishonorable across the land.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a cruel fictional world, but it IS one with Karma. Believe dat.
    This is a huge reason why I don't think dani targaryen is the real badass or next on the throne it's too obvious

Dany has the Dragons tho. The Dragons are the key to everything. The only reason the 7 Kingdoms were ever unified was because of Dragons. Westeros IMHO can't even exist as a stable unified nation-state without the threat of Dragons to keep all the other kingdoms in check, as witnessed by 3 major civil wars & 2 minor ones in the past century. (whether or not such a state should even exist in the first place when Tarkin Doctrine is apparently the only thing gluing it together is a question for another day) The presence and power of Magic declined after the Dragons went extinct. It's possible that Dragons themselves are the "Lightbringer" of the Azor Ahai legend and extremely likely that they'll play a pivotal role in defeating The White Walkers. And she's the *only* one that can control these things. Other than Bran, of course.

Dani doesn't quite have dragons like you think she does. If you read my spoilers you'll realize what I'm talking about. This isn't a spoiler it's pretty much known bc of the hints in the 1st book.... Jon Snow is half Targeryon half stark his mom is Ned's sister leana (I think that's her name) and she told Ned to keep a secret before she died. Ask yourself why would a man bring back a child to his home with some ? he messed with instead of letting that ? take care of the child? This means the rightful heir to the throne even before Robert was always meant to be Jon Snow.... This is actually obvious even if you just watch the show.
    Just know Jon's dog is white and one of the dragons viserion is white nothing's happened with the dragons quite yet but there are reasons to believe something will happen. The writer in an interview pretty much confirmed big things are going to happen to Jon snow my guess is he's about to transform and take on the white dragon who doesn't like drogon which is Danis dragon Dani also mentions that there is only one dragon per rider
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dani doesn't quite have dragons like you think she does. If you read my spoilers you'll realize what I'm talking about. This isn't a spoiler it's pretty much known bc of the hints in the 1st book.... Jon Snow is half Targeryon half stark his mom is Ned's sister leana (I think that's her name) and she told Ned to keep a secret before she died. Ask yourself why would a man bring back a child to his home with some ? he messed with instead of letting that ? take care of the child? This means the rightful heir to the throne even before Robert was always meant to be Jon Snow.... This is actually obvious even if you just watch the show.

That seems to be a commonly held theory, but the premise you're using to back it up is weak. Why would a man do that? Because he's Ned Stark. The dude that basically put his honor before his life and even the lives of his family. He's not kinda dude to make baby and then leave it in a brothel. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that particular argument doesn't really support your point too well.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9Qs06UD.gif

I knew the Red Wedding was coming, but that ish is still brutal.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just know Jon's dog is white and one of the dragons viserion is white nothing's happened with the dragons quite yet but there are reasons to believe something will happen. The writer in an interview pretty much confirmed big things are going to happen to Jon snow my guess is he's about to transform and take on the white dragon who doesn't
    like drogon which is Danis dragon Dani also mentions that
    there is only one dragon per rider

Bruh you are ? up the whole thread..yes we know you read the books but got damn don't spoil the ? for everyone...even when you don't put spoilers in you dropping hints and foreshadowing of future characters...Chill the ? out B
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    yeah blackchild what in the seven hells are you doing?

boo this man
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone else notice the chess board clue about theon?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »

Just know Jon's dog is white and one of the dragons viserion is white nothing's happened with the dragons quite yet but there are reasons to believe something will happen. The writer in an interview pretty much confirmed big things are going to happen to Jon snow my guess is he's about to transform and take on the white dragon who doesn't

Bruh you are ? up the whole thread..yes we know you read the books but got damn don't spoil the ? for everyone...even when you don't put spoilers in you dropping hints and foreshadowing of future characters...Chill the ? out B

He didn't really spoil anything. Despite the fact that he is mentioning these thing as if they are proven fact based on events in the book, they really aren't. It's just speculation. It's popular and interesting speculation, but speculation nonetheless. As far as I know, nothing he wrote in the unmarked part has actually been confirmed in any of the books.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I didnt its a theory an obvious one.
  • newOldSchool
    Options
    Book readers please stop with the foreshadowing. Even though you not saying exactly what will happen you're saying SOMETHING is about to happen which distracts from the show experience. We respect you for reading those 20,000,000 pages but this thread is about the show on tv and not the books. That book knowledge kinda messes up the viewing experience.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    It's not as obvious as you're making it seem. I'm reading the first book now and they provide no clues whatsoever pointing towards that. In fact everytime the subject of Jon's birth comes up, they make a point of shutting it down. The show definitely hasn't dropped any hints, at least not overtly. I'm not saying it's not a good theory, but it's not like there is just a ton of things pointing to it at least not in the first book and the show up to this point.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched that red wedding multiple times. Hilarious
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I didnt its a theory an obvious one.

I'm not just talking about that post you been doing this
    ? for a couple pages..Just saying uncecessary ? , giving clues to when people dying, debunking theories then putting in your "predictions"....all I'm saying is if ? ain't happened or you know some major ? is about to happened don't speak on it
  • Matt-
    Options

wasn't that just a flayed person - the sigil of house bolton

which does bring up another issue, if the Bolton's were holding Theon for Robb, or at least that was the implication, then what is their true motive? Watch them try to sell him back to Balon and he turns down the offer and now he has to become a prisoner of a different family
  • newOldSchool
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »

which does bring up another issue, if the Bolton's were holding Theon for Robb, or at least that was the implication, then what is their true motive? Watch them try to sell him back to Balon and he turns down the offer and now he has to become a prisoner of a different family

Is that all it was? Seemed like they made a strong point emphasis to hold that shot.
  • Crimson11
    Crimson11 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't really like George's philosophy. When you try too hard to avoid being predictable, you make yourself predictable. In other words, he's admitted that he likes to build up the characters to make them endearing, but once he does that he feels the need to get rid of them so as not buck convention. Problem is, now he's making a new convention, and as a result we know not to really get attached to any of the good characters because we know those are the ones he wants to do away with.

I agree killing people, just for shock value, or the whole "anyone can die" becomes a grab to shock the reader and can get old, especially when not "anyone" can die, I highly doubt Jon or Dany gets snuffed
  • Matt-
    Options

Is that all it was? Seemed like they made a strong point emphasis to hold that shot.

i thought the implication was just that the Boltons were the ones holding Theon at a location that Robb obviously knew. but there could be more to it. or i could be flat out wrong. thats just the impression i got
  • Matt-
    edited June 2013
    Options
    doesn't most everyone in the game meet an untimely death? its not like there are tons of major players in their 70's still roaming around. I think its pretty consistant with the world that Martin has created that people will die. it doesn't matter if you identify w/ them or not. people that aren't in the show all died in various ways, Rhaegar Targaryan, the mad king, john arryn, ned's sister, Tywin's wife, the house that the lannisters destroy that was talked about in the Rains of Castamere, and i'm sure there are tons of other in the books that aren't referenced in the show. to quote omar: "its all in the game yo"
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am i wrong to assume that Jon snow knew those wolves were Rikon and Bran's wolves? or do just random wolves helping out
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    doesn't most everyone in the game meet an untimely death? its not like there are tons of major players in their 70's still roaming around. I think its pretty consistant with the world that Martin has created that people will die. it doesn't matter if you identify w/ them or not. people that aren't in the show all died in various ways, Rhaegar Targaryan, the mad king, john arryn, ned's sister, Tywin's wife, the house that the lannisters destroy that was talked about in the Rains of Castamere, and i'm sure there are tons of other in the books that aren't referenced in the show. to quote omar: "its all in the game yo"

I don't know. I think it's fair to say that if you make too much of a name for yourself and aren't clever, you wind up dead. I wouldn't say that everyone receives an untimely death though. I mean there are some old maesters, knights, and lords walking around that have all been said to be connected to some dirt here and there. Not to mention that Tywin is over 50. He's not really and old man, but he's not a youngbuck either.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't watched the episode yet, but I've read the books multiple times. (I had to read the Red Wedding like 3 times for it to register. And I was in such a foul mood afterwards.) I don't do spoilers, but there are some variations that are pretty significant. Like Robb's wife was never from the islands, she was just from a lesser known house. And she never attended the Red Wedding either. Thus, she still was alive after all the fuckery.

But I think one of thee most important things to remember when indulging in GoT, at least for the Starks that have direwolves, was ALWAYS listen to your wolf.

Gonna watch it with the wife tonight. She knows sumin big is gonna happen, but she doesn't know what. So I can't wait to see her reaction. Might catch her with the phone. Lol.

Oh, and trust GRRM has A LOT of ? up his sleeve. The show is just getting started.
  • Yardie1
    Yardie1 Members Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Options
    Man dat ? was like looking both ways when crossing the road then as soon as u step out BAM!!! A big ass bus comes outta nowhere and blindsides u. WoW!!! was not expecting all dat. But the Starks aint done yet. Wait til the lil homie Bran starts gettin into the minds of dem dragons and white walkers an controls dem, then we'll see who's boss. And when Arya grows she's gonna make Dany look like a dam Kardashian.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I haven't watched the episode yet, but I've read the books multiple times. (I had to read the Red Wedding like 3 times for it to register. And I was in such a foul mood afterwards.) I don't do spoilers, but there are some variations that are pretty significant. Like Robb's wife was never from the islands, she was just from a lesser known house. And she never attended the Red Wedding either. Thus, she still was alive after all the fuckery.

But I think one of thee most important things to remember when indulging in GoT, at least for the Starks that have direwolves, was ALWAYS listen to your wolf.

Gonna watch it with the wife tonight. She knows sumin big is gonna happen, but she doesn't know what. So I can't wait to see her reaction. Might catch her with the phone. Lol.

Oh, and trust GRRM has A LOT of ? up his sleeve. The show is just getting started.

We might need separate threads; one for book readers and one for non-book readers. It's not just you Like Water.

Can we just all agree that all of us non-book readers hadn't seen anything yet and there are a lot of surprises to come? We don't need the constant reminder, particularly leading up to specific events.