The I Watched Recently Thread *possible spoilers*

Options

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @vader
    damn i haven't seen pan's labyrinth yet. i'll check that & the factory out good drops.

killing them softly is about these smackheads that rob a mob poker game & then a hitman (brad pitt) has to clean it up by finding the dudes that robbed it, talk to the guy who ran the game, etc. it was pretty slept on when it came out. not a masterpiece, but it's a good watch. it's all in the backdrop of obama winning the election & fixing the economy so it weaves the two worlds together. had some nice dialogue & cinematography too.

@lazypakman
    yea i'm not looking for anything too crazy to start off...i might hold off on old boy for a little bit. a bittersweet life sounds dope tho thanks.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @atribecalledgabi
    pans is pretty much an adult dark fairy tale directed and written by G.del toro.....its in subtitles but trust it will keep u entertained u wont really notice tell me how u like it when u watch
  • inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXgJVAtbfPE5KPP8OFOvxoPg8Uc4t1JepwrHyJ5kxnD2Miw1RQyQ C+

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcLIY057VcCmud4ihPM774kLnVu_MSxUguAUHaPbca8Ytt4DBs C+

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMdLALwKCN6lNFN0xpWZUqhEC1VLOsxT5JHovsfn4peKs5NToRQg D. Downgraded to an F for forcing me to look at Rose Mcgowan's botched plastic surgery the whole movie.

BABY_BLUES.jpg B loved this, was cheering for the little homie from the jump.
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hamburger Hill. Always liked this one but a lotta cheese between the action.

Dragon. Was really good up until the last 30 minutes. Had a nice horror feel to it with some kungfu to top it off. Spent the whole time thinking the guy was gonna flip out and ? everybody, but then they give him some weak back story with other random garbage thrown in. Definitely could have left out the little side story with the detective too. Guy was a villain for no reason. Took me out the movie giving me info that wasn't gonna pay off later. Mutilation really messed up the fight scenes too.

The Human Resources Manager. Good road trip drama. Netflix description was all over the place though. Switch between subs and english was a little off too.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got back from watching Star Trek Into the Darkness pretty much everything Rap Mastermind said is legit...movie was dope as ? on the big screen
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Star trek into darkness
    Could have been better imo, i think i really liked the first one because i had no expectations at all
    And now for the second one i already had my expectations up. Still a solid movie
  • inthacut
    Options
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    215px-Hansel_and_Gretel_Witch_Hunters_.jpg

(GRADE C) Jeremy Reiner and Gemma Arerton Star as a grown up Hansel and Gretel but instead of getting away from 1 witch like the legendary fairy tale tells. They are now witch hunters. Hollywood re imagining fairytales hasn't been good thus far. There was "Red Riding Hood" which was dark and of course "Snow White in the Huntsman" that took Snow White into Braveheart Territory. Hansel and Gretel though does succeed in being action packed as well as having some tough witches. Overall it's worth a rental but average but better than I thought going in.

220px-Jack_Reacher_poster.jpg

(GRADE C+) Well it's Tom Cruise who I grew up with so I'll always give his movies a chance. After seeing him play another Jack in "Oblivion". Tom plays Jack Reacher, a popular character in over 18 novels. The film is directed by Oscar winning writer of "The Usual Suspects" Christopher Mcquarrie. Well the movie actually wasn't that bad. It's more of an investigative thriller. When a gunman randomly kills innocent people sniper style it leads to an investigation of an x solider but as the case unfolds there's more to be discovered. I thought the twist and turns kept the movie going. Tom was straight in the role and the Bad Guy is actually Bruce Willis's Son in "A Good Day To Die Hard". This character worked better for him than in Die Hard cause he came off cold and calculated in this role. Overall decent thriller.
  • inthacut
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ57Mi5C7ocC8n-JCZ4YCYnJpsdvERMuNyn4P5yGoIEbhsCe0TUSA

D

This movie had so much potential, but it never took advantage of what was a great idea.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    fast-furious-6-poster.jpg

(GRADE = B)
    Vin Disel, Paul Walker and the whole gang is back for the 6th installment of "The Fast and Furious" franchise. Brain who's an X-cop now turned criminal is now a father. Vin and the rest of the team is living nice off their money from the brazil heist. When The Rock shows up with some photos of no other than Lettey who was suppose to be killed in "Fast 4". Well Vin and the team head to Europe to take on a new Foe. Fast 6 really just picks up where "Fast Five" left off.

The action was on point even though it was a little over the top at times. The car chases were sick and that's what you are going to a Fast and Furious movie for. Lettey ended up having amnesia and not remembering Vin or the crew. To me that's a weak plot point to bring her back, they could of come up with something better than. Gina Carano who played in "Haywire" and is a MMA killed it in her role. The Rock character was basic but got the job done. Tyrese and Ludacris brought the humor. Han was laid back and cool. The bad guy was pretty good played but Luke Evans. So I though it wasn't better than "Fast Five" it was still good.

The Runway scene was unbelievable, crazy but good at the same time. The only part outside of Lettey's memory loss was Brian going to L.A. jail, I felt that was a little filler. Also the After Credits Scene was PERFECT. Finally "Tokyo Drift" means something. Before it was just a side film or spin off. Now it fits perfectly into the Cannon of "Fast and Furious". With Shaw's brother played by Jason Statham coming for revenge. This sets up the ending of "Tokyo Drift" as Don races Sean to bring him on the team. Again I liked it but it's time to wrap it up, they can't keep this going much longer.

220px-Thefastandthefurioustokyodrift_bigearlyposter.jpg

(GRADE = C) After watching "Fast and Furious 6" I had this compelling feeling that I needed to watch "Tokyo Drift" again. It has been years since I seen it and always felt it wasn't really cannon in the series. Well all that changed as the film now fits great with the series. Han was great as a mentor to Sean. Vin makes an important cameo at the end that gives us clues to the next installment of the series. The cars and races in this were great. Loved the whole fish out of water American in Japan theme. Lil Bow Wow also didn't do that bad of a job. I suggest people give "Tokyo Drift" another chance. It may be the weakest film of the franchise but it still gives you want you love about Fast and Furious Movies.
  • inthacut
    edited May 2013
    Options
    decided to re-watch two flicks before i head out for the night.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA3dA--1XKOWhQ08PDWkpkcygQ-3eCjA-nDCE6sK8XI3-_cqL-yPyDndIO B+

Nice Film

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyiDnmOXRDe30ka9xWILLPk19aT5pEW30FfuJsB_9sYaE6OxTN2w C+

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    I liked the collector and the collection

Bout to watch parker and sliver liningsplay book
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Silver Linings. Funny. De Niro was really good
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Watched silver linings was pretty cool on tha parts I was awake for

Bout watch dead presidents
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grading on Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness and F&F6 from best to worst....

F&F 6: 8.5/10
    Star Trek: Into Darkness 8/10
    Iron Man 3: 6.9/10
  • inthacut
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oz-the-great-and-the-powerful-new-international-clip.jpg

The first 20 to 30 minutes shot in Polaroid Black and White is dope ... . the follow up is even more colourful and brilliant

Its a PG rated film but the visuals make for a good sight while high .. .

Like @rapmastermind, watched Jack Reacher as well just this week for the first time. Decent thriller and a good study on sniper rifles
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    Well I had me a little M. Knight Shymalan Action with the last two films I watched:

220px-After_Earth_Poster.jpg

(GRADE = C+)
    "After Earth" is the Blockbuster Sci-Fi film staring Jaden and his father Will Smith for the 1st time since the Blockbuster Hit Drama "Pursuit of Happyness". The film is directed by no other than M. Knight Shymalan but he wasn't really on the marketing as much as Will and Jaden. M. Knight's films actually do very well at the Box Office but critically that's another story. "After Earth" is not getting great reviews but I thought it actually was a pretty good movie. Will Smith may be on the poster but he's really a supporting actor in this. He really didn't do much but guide Jaden outside of the intro of the film. He really let his son have the shine.

It's Jaden's movie and it's a coming of age father/son story. Once the film got to Earth the film go really good to me. The whole Earth 1,000 years later cause of evolution and global warming was pretty cool themes. Jaden ended up having to carry the movie and to me he's still learning.

This is only his 4th film but what's interesting is though he started out shaky in the beginning of the film, he grew into the performance right before my eyes. I was with him all the way the end. His suit was cool so I liked the technology in the film. The animal/nature threats he faced was interesting. The back story was cool I wished they elaborated on it more. But I was good, not great. Better than M. Knight's last 3 films. But very interesting original sci-fi coming of age adventure. But the weight being on Jaden he could only do so much.

215px-Unbreakableposterwillis.jpg

(GRADE=B+) Coming off a Classic film can be hard but M. Knight followed up "The Sixth Sense" with the surprise film "Unbreakable" staring Bruce Willis and him teaming up again with Samuel L Jackson. When a train derails leaving only one survivor. A man finds out he's had a gift he didn't know all along. With the guide of another man played by Samuel L. Bruce Willis goes of a life changing journey. I loved this film even back in the day but I had to watch it again, it's been years. Such an amazing homage to the whole comic book mythology. LOVED the twist at the end cause it tied the whole movie together. There are rumors he wants to do another film and I hope it happens cause this film you want more after you see it.

So yea, M. Knight is polarizing that's why the critics hate him but I think he has made good movies in his career.
  • inthacut
    edited June 2013
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvY6AYBSajMKYsg5aTHxiEVhSRrv-0PjRD2Xj0jmsakwgOx5w4MSU5bkw C

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqnS_zp5pP5CMQSKS6wRwZ0omXTFNuNMqmUDW5Naq_7ArAYNoODMSrox8 B

Cool Flick.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC5906duTAftgInX_YFR23SaOqm0RAE--V1j0hbUSp_5KMBN6g

I don't know if i was too tired or what but i gotta re-watch this one to give it a grade, at some points i didnt know what the ? was going on.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Toy Soldiers. Only thing that was good on tv. Had me nostalgic as ?
  • inthacut
    Options
  • dasmooth1
    dasmooth1 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    Options
    The Hills Have Eyes. Wasn't bad, not great either but had entertaining moments.
  • flacofitz
    flacofitz Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Kid wit da golden arms
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    poeticJustice.jpg

A road movie for black folk and an ironic scene late in the film where the late Tupac weeps over the loss of a loved one .. . he was a fine actor as well

6a00d8341c5fb353ef012875e03fe9970c-300wi.jpg

1993543.jpg

main_img.jpg

State-of-Play.jpg

lamourduretroisans01.jpg

my-son-my-son-banner.jpg

fatal-attraction.jpg?cdn=1370560794

^ first time actually watching this as an adult; I used to get chased outta the room as a kid anytime this came on, LOL

I'm on vacation in my home country of Nigeria and watched all these movies saved on my PC .. .
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    sinister.jpg

the grainy, old footage of the murders was the best part. the one in the pool was my fav. they were all very well done. I'd watch the movie jus to see those scenes. other than that, the movie was pretty good by todays mainstream horror standards. couple scares and jeers you could see comin. Ethan Hawke did his thing tho. props to him. good to see Ziggy Sobotka from The Wire. he plays a local cop. best 2 see this w/ broad @ home on the couch while she curled up under you, type horror. solid watch tho.

Ectac.Thor-Film-de-Kenneth-Branagh.03.jpg

yes, I finally sat down last nite and watched Thor. overall solid super-hero film imo. casted very well. backgrounds were awesome. i can remember readin Thor comic books as a kid, so I was a fan coming in. but Im not a fan of the fantasy genre in adulthood, so meh. the 1st battle with those frozen army dudes vs Thor n crew was cool. overall it kinda had the feel of a part one of a trilogy. cuz it felt like 3/4 of the movie was jus givin backstory and settin up a future story until anything really happened @ the end. tho i must say seein Thor bein unable to pick up his Hammer, then his reaction was EPIC! good to see Stringer Bell from The Wire, wish he coulda had more fight scenes. overall, fun watch tho. looking 4ward to part 2.