Jay-Z is a great businessman, but I'll be damned if he ain't the biggest sellout in hip hop history!

Options

Comments

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If thread starter ain't doing ? for Africa I ain't tryna hear his ?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wayne sold out harder
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay's always been about the money though. It's not like he changed face or anything.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just get home and yall up to the same stuff. Nobody livin gettin legit money cares about broke people sayin they "sold out". Waste of breath to even say that. Yall not usin time wisely. No thank you to hatin on gettin money. Im outta here.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yet another Jay Z post.
  • c. skillz
    c. skillz Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    If you think selling out = having a deal that makes you money, then I guess under that definition yes he sold out. But this is pioneering in the fact that in an industry historically run by the labels where they control your albums direction in the singles dropped and the promotion it gets, Jay is saying no I'ma take matters into my own hands and decide the direction of the music as well as the promotion and release it straight to the streets.

Takes out the industry giant middle man, makes 100% of the music he wants to make, releases it when he's ready to release it, and takes advantage of the digital state of music rather than get bullied by it.

Yes Ye did something similar as far as not having a single, but not everyone can release a project solely off their name. Jay took it a step further that could actually help lesser artist get money by opening the door with these cross marketing album deals. Jay has never been been one to help by holding your hand, but he has opened doors and showed the way (as he's doing here).

Hell if Lupe had a similar deal we probably would be blessed with 3 more classic albums from him by now!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    c. skillz wrote: »
    If you think selling out = having a deal that makes you money, then I guess under that definition yes he sold out. But this is pioneering in the fact that in an industry historically run by the labels where they control your albums direction in the singles dropped and the promotion it gets, Jay is saying no I'ma take matters into my own hands and decide the direction of the music as well as the promotion and release it straight to the streets.

Takes out the industry giant middle man, makes 100% of the music he wants to make, releases it when he's ready to release it, and takes advantage of the digital state of music rather than get bullied by it.

Yes Ye did something similar as far as not having a single, but not everyone can release a project solely off their name. Jay took it a step further that could actually help lesser artist get money by opening the door with these cross marketing album deals. Jay has never been been one to help by holding your hand, but he has opened doors and showed the way (as he's doing here).

Hell if Lupe had a similar deal we probably would be blessed with 3 more classic albums from him by now!

362588933.gif
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    .............waiting for someone to post something smart instead sheep thinking

good thread yo

From yo Brooklyn thread I thought you was a leader...YOU post something smart and let the "sheep ? " counteract...that's a debate ? ..

T/S aint said nothing smart yet...thread based on hate for seeing success in a black man...something black people love to do when a ? get on...sad.

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree this a good thread for discussion. But really, I dont believe in the term "sold out". You dont know what's in their mind why they do things. Thats their business. Watch your own pockets not the next man's.
  • DNB1
    Options
    Not only is it a great business move it's ? common sense. No better way to get to the consumer than directly through their cell phone provider...

Somebody somewhere must be thinking about taking this idea to the next level...signing digital distribution deals with artist, with consumers accessing new music via phone apps.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    before anybody gets trolled by the thread starter you have to remember where he is coming from. he only listens to new york rappers that never amounted or will never amount to ? . if you have that papoose or french montana sound and career is in danger of being dead then your "Staying true". ? forbid you take an endorsement deal and release a classic album you are really a sellout in international p's eyes. ? forbid you try to have a business sense in the game and make as much or more money than the whitefolks dumbing down the music you are a sellout.

Its almost like knocking jordan for taking the deal with nike to have his own brand. Almost identical for tiger woods or kobe or lebron taking huge endrosements for millions but still proving they got game. Jay rap wise is like jordan was with the wizards. Hes not nearly as great as he was back in the day but still can average 20 pts. a game.

But like i said ? forbid a new york rapper takes a risk and does a different way to do album promo and it actually works international p will disown you as a fan.

You are such a ? hypocrite. Wayne does business deals and "dumbs down" music and he is a sellout but Jay is a great business man. Shut the ? up.

Hahahaha when was lil coonchi a business man? he has lost endorsements, gets controlled by a man named brian williams and
    most of his artists have never released an album. The 2 that did release (drake and nikki) are better off without wayne.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cheap move to go platinum, but i'd do it too, not to mention more people will hear his music, which at the end of the day is the point of the whole thing, right?
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    before anybody gets trolled by the thread starter you have to remember where he is coming from. he only listens to new york rappers that never amounted or will never amount to ? . if you have that papoose or french montana sound and career is in danger of being dead then your "Staying true". ? forbid you take an endorsement deal and release a classic album you are really a sellout in international p's eyes. ? forbid you try to have a business sense in the game and make as much or more money than the whitefolks dumbing down the music you are a sellout.

Its almost like knocking jordan for taking the deal with nike to have his own brand. Almost identical for tiger woods or kobe or lebron taking huge endrosements for millions but still proving they got game. Jay rap wise is like jordan was with the wizards. Hes not nearly as great as he was back in the day but still can average 20 pts. a game.

But like i said ? forbid a new york rapper takes a risk and does a different way to do album promo and it actually works international p will disown you as a fan.

You are such a ? hypocrite. Wayne does business deals and "dumbs down" music and he is a sellout but Jay is a great business man. Shut the ? up.

Hahahaha when was lil coonchi a business man? he has lost endorsements, gets controlled by a man named brian williams and
    most of his artists have never released an album. The 2 that did release (drake and nikki) are better off without wayne.

Didn't Read hypocrite.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

Didn't Read hypocrite.

lol ? malice stay on his 4th grade i know you are but what am i bs. calling people hypocrites then hypocritically don't read the truth haha.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Didn't Read hypocrite.

lol ? malice stay on his 4th grade i know you are but what am i bs. calling people hypocrites then hypocritically don't read the truth haha.

Still didnt read you hypocrite you.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the middle man = record labels are basically being cut out nowadays.

Drake really could of changed the game with the buzz he had but the ? went and signed a deal.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would like to hear the argument that yall are going to pose for this ? latest move, yes it was very smart and innovative strategy from him and his team's part, but who going trying to argue like it wasn't the biggest sell out move of all?!...

This ? used a Samsung commercial to promote his new album, to all the dummies that think that this only promotes his album, FALSE! It also promotes Samsung in a major way, basically this ? has exchanged 1 million copies that Samsung will give to its Samsung Galaxy customers 72 hours ahead of the album release, to basically act as an ambassador for the brand, this album will now also be associated with Samsung, almost like a soundtrack to their product, smh...And go also research about Samsung dealings in Africa and the exploitation that minors go through for pieces of technology for their phones, smh...

How does this ? and Kanye's friendship even survive after ? like this? Jay stands for everything that Kanye is currently going against.

Speak on it!

Two things:

1. Rap has been about selling out since My Adidas. The culture is forever dickriding and advertising and making popular some material item, so don't speak down on a man for getting paid for doing it when Wayne, Baby, and Rick Ross ain't see a dime for popularizing Bugatti, Maybach, etc. Jay's basically made 10 million of Samsung, which goes toward paying back that Live Nation advance.

This brings me to ...

2. LMFAO@Kanye being against selling out. This he ? is pro black and anti-establishment when it suits him. He talks about white people in America, but then kisses up to the countries who birthed the forefathers of these racist ? . Mr. Louis Vuiton Don suddenly anti-corporate? Why? Because Samsung is Korean and not Italian/French/British is the ONLY reason I could see.

If anything, the question should be, how does Jay tolerate the fuckery that is Kanye? Musical genius aside, he's the last person to speak on anything race related when all his actions dictate the exact opposite.
  • DNB1
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    the middle man = record labels are basically being cut out nowadays.

Drake really could of changed the game with the buzz he had but the ? went and signed a deal.

C/S on Drake...he could of really changed ? up with that So Far Gone buzz...

But this is just the beginning of new era, others will follow suit...

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait, is it only S4 owners or do S3 owners get this album as well?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1) How exactly does Jay sell out with this move? It's not like Jay was never above doing deals with big corporations or denounced doing deals with them prior to this move.

2) If Jay is a sell out for doing a deal with Samsung because of their exploitation of African miners, so is the person who buys or already owns a Samsung. We might as well call out every rapper with diamond encrusted jewelry as well.
  • okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay all about the money...his album will be him talking about..

he ain't a businessman, he's a...

anybody remember what Kanye said at his listening party? "i ain't got no NBA campaign's to sell records"

i originally thought it was about Will I. Am but now im like

JAYZGLASSES.jpg

Kanye has branded himself the bad guy, Dame Dash with talent! Jay managed to not ? anybody who matters off keeping the opertunities wide open.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This isn't selling out. But he's a ? for going to Samsung. Just because I only offered to buy 500,000 units of his ? , this ? must've been outta his damn mind, Beyonce the only reason he relevant nowadays.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Batman. wrote: »
    This isn't selling out. But he's a ? for going to Samsung. Just because I only offered to buy 500,000 units of his ? , this ? must've been outta his damn mind, Beyonce the only reason he relevant nowadays.

not really he had a song on the great gatsby soundtrack. and while i aint een watch that movie it got peoples attention. Beyonce wasn't in his samsung commercial. also that big stadium tour hes doin this summer i don't think that had anything to do with beyonce. you can say jay flow wise is weaker at times, you can say that hes not on top of the game, you can say many things. but you can't say beyonce the only reason he relevant nowadays. ? his tour will out sell and outbuzz beyonces current tour.

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every one sells out to some degree. I don't blame him. What I blame him is that he's been rapping about the same ? for almost 20 years....but done so well.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    These international troll essays with ? fantasies in em got me like

Stick to your Wack Montana stannery