Did J. Cole open the door for Kendrick Lamar?

Options

Comments

• A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So yall think kendrick would be this big without being on take care

It's not bout that...Kendrick and Cole have a similar lane/approach to songwriting...They're pretty conscious for mainstream artists...Cole's success/acclaim was a precursor to Kendrick's...Plus Cole was talkin about/tryna collab with Kendrick before Drake ever extended that hand...
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk about that .... I think if kendrick were to look back and thank any of his immediate contemporaries it should be Drake... for taking him out on that big ass college tour with him which allowed Drakes audience (which was huge considering Drake being the hottest young ? in the game at the time) to be introduced to Kendrick's music ..... That type of CS can't be measured ... Same can be said for the other dude on that tour ASAP Rocky
  • c. skillz
    c. skillz Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    I first heard about Kendrick Lamar when Cole was pushing him on one of those streams he did before the 1st album came out....but thats where the opening door stops to me.

I think the whole West Coast (Dre, Snoop, Game, etc) coining him the next king out West is what put him on. Musically he's opened his own doors tho. No one else is dropping singles like Swimming Pools and ? Dont ? My Vibe successfully reaching the mainstream while maintaining substance. For as much as I like Cole, all of his singles are just about females. That door has been opened.

I hope Kendrick starts opening doors for dudes like Cole when it comes to making cohesive, concept albums with a variety of topics. Lupe has done it, but his success in that realm is too far removed to say he opened the door.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake putting Kendrick on Take Care and then putting him on his tour did more for Kendrick's career than anything Cole did. Cole's debut was bland
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Cole opened the door for "real rappers", then why Big KRIT only sell 41k his first week?

KRIT didn't get that big cosign yet. Like Cole on A Star Is Born and K Dot on Buried Alive, KRIT has gotta get that big feature. And T.I. and Big Boi don't count, they're not exactly super mainstream anymore.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick's albums are fire and their greatness is not dependent on Cole
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I found out about Kendrick from J Cole, dude was talking about how dope overly dedicated was.

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can J Cole open the door for a guy who's better than him? Lol
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Kendrick better than cole bar for bar though?
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Is Kendrick better than cole bar for bar though?

Man...HELL YEAH!!!
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    And K. Dot was killin ? on the underground when Roc Nation was taking a long ass ? time to drop Coles album and before his verse on Drakes ?
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BET recognizing his talent and letting him do that tour helped him the most.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Cole got K.Dot bar for bar.

His music is not as exciting as K.Dot's tho.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    If Cole opened the door for "real rappers", then why Big KRIT only sell 41k his first week?

KRIT didn't get that big cosign yet. Like Cole on A Star Is Born and K Dot on Buried Alive, KRIT has gotta get that big feature. And T.I. and Big Boi don't count, they're not exactly super mainstream anymore.

He got cosigned by Ludacris, Bun B, and 8 Ball & MJG.
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe KRIT should shop around his beats a tad more?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

bun b co-sign damn near everbody luda is washed 8 ball and mjg meh
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

bun b co-sign damn near everbody luda is washed 8 ball and mjg meh

This, plus neither of them are big mainstream names like that. Getting a Jay Z/Drake cosign in the 2010s>>>>>>>>>>>>... word to Frank Ocean and The Weeknd.
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

Kendric will rap absolute circles around that boy. Im neither a Lamar stan nor a Cole hater but some things should be obvious to the general public and Kendric lyrically better than Cole is one of them
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »

Kendric will rap absolute circles around that boy. Im neither a Lamar stan nor a Cole hater but some things should be obvious to the general public and Kendric lyrically better than Cole is one of them

I'm not saying Cole got it hands down.

I just think he got them.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol @ this bs

nobody can rap circles around cole

Cole's best songs >>>>>>>> Any rapper to come out since Cole best songs
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

lol @ this bs

Pshhhhh..... ? outta here wit that ? . His style is very basic, I havent really heard but a few things hes spat that made me reach for the rewind button, most of his singles that get radio play get mad watered down and trite quickly, i mean ? ...nosign me all you want, I dont see what it is Cole does better than Kendric
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol @ this bs

K.R.I.T. best songs>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol @ this bs

K.R.I.T. best songs>>>>>>>>>>>>

you can't prove this
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's like getting co-signed by Kweli or Mos Def. Sure it'll get you some respect in the hip hop circles, but it's not exactly going to take your career to a new height. Now a co-sign might not always make you a star or whatever, but that's because the artist has to actually put in the work to realize that potential, but when someone gets a cosign from a heavyweight like jay, kanye, or dre, people perk their ears up. you might not like the artist, but most people will at least check out a song or two to see what made _____ co-sign him or her.