Hip Hop Trends You Wish Would Come Back...

Options

Comments

• eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Throwback jerseys

It got crazy when ? started over doing it and wearing them everyday with every outfit

But jerseys used to look so good with a matching pair of kicks though
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remix beats , when a remix beat actually felt different...remember all those SoSo remixes that felt better than the originals.
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dilla Deaf wrote: »
    Remix beats , when a remix beat actually felt different...remember all those SoSo remixes that felt better than the originals.

Came to say this.

Artists to call wack artists wack and to not ? with them.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Genuine collaborations that add to the meaning of the song and not a bunch of features based on album sales or who's hot at the time.

Concept albums

Super lyrical posse cuts

Outkast (no diss--Kast wasn't a trend but I miss their music in hip hop.. and not no Hey Ya ? neither)
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diffrent production styles in songs that can stand out from the next song, it's too many talented producers that won't get get a shot cause ? want the same ol ?

• 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Music with a narrative
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being masculine; pause. The new era has grown men acting like some ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I just miss when you needed to show some level of skill to get on. Now all you need is a hot beat, a gimmick, a background story and the right connections.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dub_Deux wrote: »
    Dancing and rapping
    I.e.
    Big daddy kane
    Heavy d
    Kid n play

My brother and I was watching a Big Daddy Kane video on VH-1 soul this weekend and was talking about how if Kane dropped that today with the dancing and shiny clothes ? would be quick to call him ? , soft, etc. Back then it was expected for rappers to be actual performers.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul samples.

Krit and Cole use em for album material but most rappers shy away bc they dont get radio play

I think the complaining people did, the copyright laws & sample clearing issues/payment mixed with new tecnology made it the way it is now. The mainstream game generally uses less samples these days and are just filled with 808's, which is why majority of the hit songs following those that formula starts off in the clubs.

I think sample in general needs to comeback, but not just taking a whole old school song and rapping over it but to flip it and all that.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Balance on the MAINSTREAM radio: regions, sub-genres, indie and mainstream artists alike.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers who can rap...and machine gun pants
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I miss the style of rapping from the 80s when rappers didn't curse. If you listen to a mix of 80s rap there's virtually no cursing (except for NWA, 2 Live Crew, etc.). Rappers found a creative way to talk about sex. Nowadays when you listen to rap on the radio every other word is bleeped out and you have no idea what the rapper is saying.

Also, there's very few, if any, modern rap albums that you could play all the way through at a family cookout because of the profanity.
  • flacofitz
    flacofitz Members Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all do realize that a lot of da ? u namin' currently exists rite?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    It's a reason why they have Kidz Bop CDs bro

I'm not sure what a Kidz Bop CD is but when I was in high school, the best, nicest MCs didn't curse. Rakim, KRS, MC Shan, Chuck D, Special Ed, Kool G Rap, LL Cool J, Kool Moe D, etc.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Super-Lyricism, Dusty Bass Heavy Boom Bap Production
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Earl Lee Risor
    Earl Lee Risor Members Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I just want Lupe to listen to "Theme Music To A Drive by" and remember who the ? he is. I know it wasn't a trend, but when I heard that, I thought that ? was the second coming.
  • Earl Lee Risor
    Earl Lee Risor Members Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm not sure what a Kidz Bop CD is but when I was in high school, the best, nicest MCs didn't curse. Rakim, KRS, MC Shan, Chuck D, Special Ed, Kool G Rap, LL Cool J, Kool Moe D, etc.

You sure G Rap didn't curse my G?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I miss the style of rapping from the 80s when rappers didn't curse. If you listen to a mix of 80s rap there's virtually no cursing (except for NWA, 2 Live Crew, etc.). Rappers found a creative way to talk about sex. Nowadays when you listen to rap on the radio every other word is bleeped out and you have no idea what the rapper is saying.

Also, there's very few, if any, modern rap albums that you could play all the way through at a family cookout because of the profanity.

This was a way to gauge a ? 's lyricial ability, if he could make a radio edit for example, the radio edits of N.W.A's ? , 2 Live Crew, and the Geto Boys, but to answer the question, ? need to go back to trying to be the hottest lyricist their is, no matter what subgenre he's in. I also wish there were rap groups, scratching, the 808 bass kicks in songs. Nothing quite hits like an 808.

• onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    A variety on the radio. Not the same five songs!
  • rabbitfood
    rabbitfood Members Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gatekeeping and when mediocrity wasn't celebrated.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

You sure G Rap didn't curse my G?

listen to his first album and get back to me.
  • keez.
    keez. Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a button up, I'm rocking a University of Georgetown Hoyas Alonzo Mourning as we speak. I know what folks mean by stations rotating the same five songs all the time...that's why I always keep my CD stash around and don't get stuck listening to ? like Drake !!!