In the Aftermath of Trayvon Martin Murder, It's time hip-hop take it back to 88

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
I will touch on this topic later in the Social Lounge but if you was born in the 70's you know as a Generation X'er and as a black youth at that time of age, that 88-95 is the last revolutionary year for us as a people.... We changed action in our community, we marched in Florida when they was beating us in the street, we got knowledge of self, we took to the streets in L.A. fought police brutality, put the school system on blast, told the older generation who got fat and lazy and ate good off the civil rights and joined the middle class but wanted to talk down on us and blame us for the ass whopping we received from the police to sit they ? down.

Black on Black love for the teenage and young black male and women was at an all time high and hip-hop was the force behind it. Black went to college, black colleges at an all time high, black business was springing up ect....

this thread was from a spark that Raymond Murray from the The Great Legendary Organize Noize tweeted.

DUNGEONEZE RAYMURRAY ‏@dungeoneze 16m
@questlove: im saying "all hip hoppers" get all boring political on us. but its time due we took it back to 88.

NWA, PUBLICE ENEMY, PARIS, ICE CUBE, KRS ONE AND BDP, RAKIM, SETSASONIC, BIG DADDY KANE, DE LA SOUL, 2PAC and countless other was the soundtrack to our movement..

this is not a ? joke, it's time hip-hop take over our music and get back to the truth

Comments

• lonestarg
    lonestarg Members Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dont tell Jay we takin bacc 2 88' we jus got' em tweetn
  • waterproof
    edited July 2013
    Options
    i agree but this same generation sold us out for corporate money and white love. lets be honest

you think so, @blackgerald you got to explain a little, but I see where you going and you have a point a little because some of us got into politics there's a lot of black councilperson's, in the congress and senate that is from our hip-hop generation, some went back to the community and are doing arts and owned business, we went to college and some went back into the community and open up book stores, health store ect...

but touch on it more.....

did we ? up also and got tired of the fight, we got grown became parents are is it unseen see that the part because look at these kids coming up not this tight jean generation but these kids like Joey Badass and that rican kid Frank castle spitting knowledge...

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    i agree but this same generation sold us out for corporate money and white love. lets be honest

you think so, @blackgerald you got to explain a little, but I see where you going and you have a point a little because some of us got into politics there's a lot of black councilperson's, in the congress and senate that is from our hip-hop generation, some went back to the community and are doing arts and owned business, we went to college and some went back into the community and open up book stores, health store ect...

did we ? up also and got tired of the fight, we got grown became parents are is it unseen see that the part because look at these kids coming up not this tight jean generation but these kids like Joey Badass and that rican kid Frank castle spitting knowledge...

im a little incoherent right now but...lol

for example, the g funk era, post la riots....snoop dog, dr dre etc kinda commercialized the gangsta rap sound, introduced it to white America....making the "gangsta"/"young black male" a caricature
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lonestarg wrote: »
    Dont tell Jay we takin bacc 2 88' we jus got' em tweetn

"they wanna bring the 80's back, well that's okay with me cause that's where they made me at"
  • waterproof
    Options
    N YO HOOD wrote: »
    ? not gona do ? but take this L

and there's people like you who sit there ? on the sidelines and do ? , but will be the first in line to reap the benefits of those who put in work and stood for something
  • waterproof
    Options

for example, the g funk era, post la riots....snoop dog, dr dre etc kinda commercialized the gangsta rap sound, introduced it to white America....making the "gangsta"/"young black male" a caricature

or was it that white America was intrigued by the gangsta sound and made it popular, because The Chronic was political and a social album if you listen it, yeah there was ? and banging but there was some jewels in there

Lil' Ghetto Boy Music Video - Dr. Dre
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKo3QUzn9Y

• waterproof
    Options
    but the money played apart and the radio also played apart, hip-hop is a powerful weapon one of the most powerful weapon on earth, Ice Cube told us to turn of the radio.......

hip-hop have to take back it's music and culture again because it was one of the last thing the black youth owned and it did a whole lot of good.

88-95 showed the power of what hip-hop can do
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and there's people like you who sit there ? on the sidelines and do ? , but will be the first in line to reap the benefits of those who put in work and stood for something
    come on man ? have families to feed getting jobs is hard enough, nobody gonna go out there and start ? go to jail and get a record over something they can't control this is why we have so call black leaders that supposed to speak for us

• waterproof
    Options

come on man ? have families to feed getting jobs is hard enough, nobody gonna go out there and start ? go to jail and get a record over something they can't control this is why we have so call black leaders that supposed to speak for us

? shut up because you all over the place, one I was talking about hip-hop music u talk about ? aint going to do ? , what in the ? that have to do with hip-hop music, dnt answer I aint got time for fuckery.

2nd I replied to your fuckery and said I what I said which is the truth, then you acting all scary I ain't going out there starting ? , who in the ? is starting ? ???
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

or was it that white America was intrigued by the gangsta sound and made it popular, because The Chronic was political and a social album if you listen it, yeah there was ? and banging but there was some jewels in there

the chronic had jewels but you cannot argue that it was a political and or social album. and if you are saying that white American made "gangsta rap" popular than you are agreeing that these rap artists sold out to provide the entertainment white America wanted

between the early 90s and now, something changed and it wasnt the 80s and 90s babies. I think many rappers wanted and strove for mainstream acceptance, "taking the hood to the burbs" etc. Combine money hungry hip hop artists and executives with a fanbase that has no knowledge or connection to the civil rights era and boom
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's time for artist to stop focusing on sex Molly and money and start talking about our country.

Who cares if you rich if dudes can get killed for walking to their dad's house.

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly what I said.
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? shut up because you all over the place, one I was talking about hip-hop music u talk about ? aint going to do ? , what in the ? that have to do with hip-hop music, dnt answer I aint got time for fuckery.

2nd I replied to your fuckery and said I what I said which is the truth, then you acting all scary I ain't going out there starting ? , who in the ? is starting ? ???
    nah ? you shut the ? up what you think these rich rappers gona do make a ? song thats not gona change ? , lol at you ? putting your faith in rappers
  • waterproof
    Options

the chronic had jewels but you cannot argue that it was a political and or social album. and if you are saying that white American made "gangsta rap" popular than you are agreeing that these rap artists sold out to provide the entertainment white America wanted

between the early 90s and now, something changed and it wasnt the 80s and 90s babies. I think many rappers wanted and strove for mainstream acceptance, "taking the hood to the burbs" etc. Combine money hungry hip hop artists and executives with a fanbase that has no knowledge or connection to the civil rights era and boom

From the underground of Blues, Gospel, Jazz, Funk, Soul, Doo ? , R&B, Rock N Roll, hip-hop black music always had the white audience intrigued, they came to the swamps at night to hear blues, they came to the old juke joint for rock n roll, they came to the corners for doo ? and came to the hood for hip-hop.

We always told our story our way, Snoop and Dre at that time did not sell out, they spoke what they seen, they suppose to lie and make it seem all pretty, gangbanging is real, we always told our story just because white folks get on and want to be down don't mean they selling out.

Snoop was a young pup the ? didn't know ? but those streets

Now after 95 you have a case, the money was coming in the flood gates was open.

The hip-hop generations do have knowledge about civil rights, we brought Malcolm X back from the grave, we had MLK, Rosa Parks, all types of black leaders in our video's... there was Do the Right Thing, School Daze all that ? , so this false for saying that from the late 80's to early 90's that when was opening those books, studying our own history because schools at taught ? .

We are the grand children of the civil rights and children of the black power movement, some how and some way ? went down hill
  • waterproof
    Options

nah ? you shut the ? up what you think these rich rappers gona do make a ? song thats not gona change ? , lol at you ? putting your faith in rappers

? ? shut the ? up, you sound like a ? a scary ? that is, ol tuck you ? between yo legs ass ? ? outta here hoe
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why not boycott everything related to FL?
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had the valet park it, Chanel hoodie on, lookin like Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman on warning
  • CertainSoul
    CertainSoul Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ? it, I'd rather see hip hop take it back to 93. These so called gangsters out here in the streets hating each other and killing each other need to come up off that stupid ? and unite against the real enemy, that being the police force, point blank. We need ? putting out ? like how Kam did after the 93 riots.

Where the peace treaty at? Do ? even care?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you must be mistaken hip hop belongs to the white man
  • CertainSoul
    CertainSoul Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We all belong to the white man. When do we say no more?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No disrespect, but ? all that noise in the opening post. Im a product of 1986. Where was this"lets reunite like back in the day" before the verdict? Where is this at in Chicago? Where is this in the inner city? Its funny, if you really about the younger generation, if you hate watching young black Men and Women, ? each other step infront of the bullets in formation and unity. Flat out. Want to promote college? Go to schools and form after schopl programs. Its easy to say things were different than the current generation. But why remenisce over the past if youre not actively and passionately trying to help head the current youth in the right direction?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like real deal. Not no rap ? .
  • djraycool
    djraycool Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options
    rooftop like we bringin 88 back