rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm looking for the "what about Benghazi" comments myself
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SimmaII wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    The fact that they think The President is trying to stir things up.. Further lets me know that even though they outnumber us.. They are scared of us.. For what?. The world may never know.. smh...

they are scared for a legitimate reason tho

unfortunately it's the black community that doesn't acknowledge how powerful as a group we could actually be

our spending power alone is enough to disrupt many industries if we boycotted

props to Obama for this..........as a consistent critic of him

I am impressed that he spoke on this directly

*salutes*
    What's good, Loon?
    What up, Em?

I agree with the idea of economic disruption.
    Not in the same vein, but the conceptually, the same thing occurred when the immigration laws in Alabama and other Southern States became so stringent that the hand-laborers had to leave. When they did, their farms/crops were so difficult to maintain (thus, hurting them economically) that they essentially renounced their laws.

is this Simma? what up champ where you been haha

since you been gon bruh "saluting" is no longer a term shared between hetero males due to the new IC lexicon

these fatherless youngins have obviously infiltrated the IC
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like Matt is right, at least if conservative pundits and bloggers are anything to go by: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/07/obama-trayvon-race-conservatives-react-twitter.html
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama is a fraud, and this doesn't change that.

But it was better that he did this.

And as a black (or half-black) president his hands have been particularly tied when it comes to these issues. (Ta-Nehisi Coates has written thoughtfully about this.)

But his inaction on black disadvantage is troubling, and his occasional comments seeming to put the onus of correcting black disadvantage on blacks unforgivable.

This is the situation. If the hood is a result of historical injustice, then justice demands that it be addressed.

At the very least, it demands that Obama try to make the case to the American people of the nation's moral obligation to address it. But Obama hasn't even tried to do this. Worse still, he sometimes talks as if the solution to our problems is just black folks getting their act together (i.e. being better parents, studying harder, etc.). (The problems are so deep -- involving people's very sense of who they are -- that I'm convinced that black disadvantage can't be overcome without massive government intervention.) In fact, in this very news conference he pooh poohed the idea of government trying to address black disadvantage.

So excuse me if this news conference changes nothing for me.

so you saying that you believe black people are essentially over grown children

that need Uncle Sam to be their father figure and save them from themselves?

c'mon bruh.........of course the govt has to play a role

but too many of us got to stop waiting for someone else to come and save us

grown adults should need that much help

People don't change on their own too often b. That change gotta be from outside in many instances.

I think that's what he's really saying. Not that Black Americans are incapable but rather the toxic mindsets that have become commonplace will not change without some intervention.
  • SimmaII
    SimmaII Members Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Options
    The fact that they think The President is trying to stir things up.. Further lets me know that even though they outnumber us.. They are scared of us.. For what?. The world may never know.. smh...

unfortunately it's the black community that doesn't acknowledge how powerful as a group we could actually be

*salutes*
    What's good, Loon?
    What up, Em?

Not in the same vein, but the conceptually, the same thing occurred when the immigration laws in Alabama and other Southern States became so stringent that the hand-laborers had to leave. When they did, their farms/crops were so difficult to maintain (thus, hurting them economically) that they essentially renounced their laws.

since you been gon bruh "saluting" is no longer a term shared between hetero males due to the new IC lexicon

Chillin, bruh. Just making moves in my city as usual.
    I'm surprised GnS actually isn't bombarded with trolls/dumb answers like back in the day.
    Lol saluting is out, huh? I can't mess w/ these youngn's.
    Where's the crew? Who all dipped out?
    It's been years since I've been on here.
    PM me the highlights of what I've missed
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people will get mad he didnt stick up for his white side.

then they will say he is being racist.

but they reall feel like hes making them think they are as good as us.
  • SimmaII
    Options

*salutes*
    What's good, Loon?
    What up, Em?

I'm surprised GnS actually isn't bombarded with trolls/dumb answers like back in the day.

.... =))

I know. That's like 5 years worth of news haha.
    I'm only concerned with this year.
    What up, Playmaker?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

*salutes*
    What's good, Loon?
    What up, Em?

.... =))

What up, Playmaker?

Nada much playa just this

DoTheRightThing.jpg

your name is vaguely familiar from the social lounge if you wanna catch up with a few of the goings on this year.. start here
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/484801/sion-s-2012-top-10-greatest-most-shocking-moments-of-the-ic#latest
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

And as a black (or half-black) president his hands have been particularly tied when it comes to these issues. (Ta-Nehisi Coates has written thoughtfully about this.)

But his inaction on black disadvantage is troubling, and his occasional comments seeming to put the onus of correcting black disadvantage on blacks unforgivable.

This is the situation. If the hood is a result of historical injustice, then justice demands that it be addressed.

At the very least, it demands that Obama try to make the case to the American people of the nation's moral obligation to address it. But Obama hasn't even tried to do this. Worse still, he sometimes talks as if the solution to our problems is just black folks getting their act together (i.e. being better parents, studying harder, etc.). (The problems are so deep -- involving people's very sense of who they are -- that I'm convinced that black disadvantage can't be overcome without massive government intervention.) In fact, in this very news conference he pooh poohed the idea of government trying to address black disadvantage.

People don't change on their own too often b. That change gotta be from outside in many instances.

I think that's what he's really saying. Not that Black Americans are incapable but rather the toxic mindsets that have become commonplace will not change without some intervention.

the bolded is debatable

especially considering many of the challenges people in the black community have to face are magnified by poor decisions

there are plenty of govt programs and assistance already in play...........but the only thing that really changes things is individuals making a choice to invest in their own futures

culture changes the govt, not the other way around

don't think for a second that there isn't still entrenched racism just because the govt promises policies of inclusion

• SimmaII
    Options

*salutes*
    What's good, Loon?
    What up, Em?

.... =))

What up, Playmaker?

Nada much playa just this

your name is vaguely familiar from the social lounge if you wanna catch up with a few of the goings on this year.. start here
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/484801/sion-s-2012-top-10-greatest-most-shocking-moments-of-the-ic#latest
    Good lookin' out.
    I can't get "Simma" back as a profile name. Messed up with tie "II" on the end.
    Oh well.
    @EmM, I'll see how long I'll be here.
    Not a lot of familiar faces but it's cool.
    Back to the thread. Apologies on the derail, T/S
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NIKE... wrote: »
    He must've gotten tired of us talkin ? about him and decided to speak up..

I know his ass is a regular poster here..I just aint figured out who he is yet...yeah that's right barry, I see you ? ..

@cirocobama
  • Matt-
    Options
    Obama the goat. Because he knows the backlash that he's about to get and doesn't give a ? . I applaud him.

Now you see part of the reason some people liked Bush
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the bolded is debatable

especially considering many of the challenges people in the black community have to face are magnified by poor decisions

there are plenty of govt programs and assistance already in play...........but the only thing that really changes things is individuals making a choice to invest in their own futures

don't think for a second that there isn't still entrenched racism just because the govt promises policies of inclusion

I don't have time for this now, but you can't separate people's poor choices from the situation of choice (broadly understood to include their sense of who they are). they find themselves in. And for black folks, that situation is a shaped by the cumulative history of white oppression.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    Obama the goat. Because he knows the backlash that he's about to get and doesn't give a ? . I applaud him.

other than he was white an brought his defense contracting buddy more paper....i dont see it.

at least President Obama is not trying to hurt anyone
  • Matt-
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

other than he was white an brought his defense contracting buddy more paper....i dont see it.

Of course you don't see it.
  • blakfyahking
    Options

the bolded is debatable

I don't have time for this now, but you can't separate people's poor choices from the situation of choice (broadly understood to include their sense of who they are). they find themselves in. And for black folks, that situation is a shaped by the cumulative history of white oppression.

agreed at the bolded

but being "shaped" doesn't mean you don't still have the ability to make certain choices

culturally we still continue to cannabilize ourselves as a community
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the bolded is debatable

agreed at the bolded

but being "shaped" doesn't mean you don't still have the ability to make certain choices

culturally we still continue to cannabilize ourselves as a community
    I always say.. you can blame them for the conditions.. but not your actions..
  • nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options
    Obama said ? .it I only gotta cpl yrs left let me drop these ? of mine
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He did the right thing. It was just unwise.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

Of course you don't see it.

So you're saying it's a white thing?? Oh ok, I gotcha!!
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised, impressed and happy @ Obama's remarks.

props to him!
  • vince_vince
    vince_vince Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheNeoShell
    TheNeoShell Members Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »
    i respect his right to speak on it. but he also needs to respect the fact that he's just adding feul to the fire. but like its already been said, he's not running for a 3rd term, so he's really free to speak however he wants.

LOL @fuel to the fire.

Y'all want that fire to die out, just forget about the fire, like that fire never happened and is still burning right now, get over that fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSiHRNQlQo